Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share some of the reply I got from my Representative concerning HR4547.

Before I comment on parts, I would like to see what you think in case I am reading too little or too much into it.

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for H.R.
4547, which would create a national standard for the carrying of concealed firearms. I appreciate hearing from you.

Rep. Cliff Sterns of Florida introduced this bill on December 14, 2005. As you are probably aware, it would allow any person with a valid concealed firearm carrying permit or license, issued by a state, to carry a concealed firearm in any other state, in accordance with the restrictions of that state.

I was pleased to receive an "A" rating from the NRA because of my support of the rights of gun owners. As a defender of our Second Amendment rights, I support allowing law-abiding citizens to exercise their right to carry firearms for personal protection. I oppose federal firearm registration and licensing and attempts to limit gun owners' rights through bans on types of firearms or ammunition.

This bill has most recently been referred to the House Subcommittee on the Judiciary. I will be sure to keep your comments in mind as it makes its way through the legislative proves. Thanks again for contacting me. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

I have to know if anyone else is bothered by the sentence: As a defender of our Second Amendment rights, I support allowing law-abiding citizens to exercise their right to carry firearms for personal protection.

I have a specific problem with the word allowing specifically when speaking of a 2A Right.

Anyway, pretty much a non-reply as expected.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I am tempted to see ''allowing'' as a generalization more than the somewhat implied ''we will let you''.

To be really acceptable however it should read " I support law-abiding citizen's exercising their right to carry". Never so good to feel things are being debated as a ''privelage''.

That aside I can think of many many worse replies!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After further review, and critical thinking I agree. It could have been much worse. I was probably expecting worse, so I was looking for hidden blasts from her.

Considering her seat position on the Left side of the asile, I probably should actually be pleased with the reply. If it comes to a vote, I will be interested to see what my single Representative does.

I should also clarify that I would rather see all of the states just do this on thier own, but have thrown my support towards creating a national debate a bit. I don't expect this to pass to law, but it should get certain states thinking that there is more interest in concealed carry.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I dont think Rep. Harris has a chance of winning anyhow. She should have held the house seat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts