Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks - if you're carrying openly or legally concealed, you need to read this book. If you have a gun that could be used for self defense laying around your house, read this book too.

Mr. Ayoob is well known around the gun world, and he has so much exposure to legal proceedings as an expert witness that when he talks I listen to his every word.

Let's face it - good shoot or bad, the minute you shoot, maim and/or kill another human being, your life will change forever. Please read this book. It should be a requirement at every firearm training class IMHO.

Deadly Force: Understanding Your Right to Self Defense
By Massad Ayoob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I've had that book for a while now. Most important thing you can do to protect yourself in the event that you are involved in a defensive shooting is to learn the laws of your state before that shooting occurs. Take the time and make the effort to seek out qualified classes on this topic. What might happen to you in some other state may not be an issue in your state. Know your own state's laws regarding the carrying of a firearm and the use of deadly force. When and under what circumstances you may use your gun in yours or someone else's defense can make the difference between not being charged or spending a good many years where you don't want to be, not to mention the cost.

Books are fine and are generally a decent source of information. But learning what is the law and what will likely happen in your own state is paramount if you are forced to use your gun.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Read many different books, including the Texas Penal Code.
Also, have a number of a reputable lawyer familiar with gun laws.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Someone once told me that legal opinions vary widely from person to person but [case law] and the Appellate Courts rule the World. We can all think what we want about use of force but I think its also important to be very familiar with related precedent established by the Courts. Especially Courts in your State

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Folks - if you're carrying openly or legally concealed, you need to read this book. If you have a gun that could be used for self defense laying around your house, read this book too.

Mr. Ayoob is well known around the gun world, and he has so much exposure to legal proceedings as an expert witness that when he talks I listen to his every word.

Let's face it - good shoot or bad, the minute you shoot, maim and/or kill another human being, your life will change forever. Please read this book. It should be a requirement at every firearm training class IMHO.

Deadly Force: Understanding Your Right to Self Defense
By Massad Ayoob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just whent out and got this book on your recommendation.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The first good book I read more than 30 years ago was Ayoob's book, In the Gravest Extreme. It hasn't been republished or updated, but is still available through Amazon most of the time. This lays everything out in complete detail; the new book "Deadly Force" is for the most part an addendum and update to In the Gravest Extreme.

I was in Louisiana in 1984 when I first got the book, and based on some of its advice, went out and found a Colt Detective Special as my carry weapon. Still have that Colt, and the book, too ;-)

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
I couldn't find "In the Gravest Extreme" to buy so got it through my public library. Very good book by Mas.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The first good book I read more than 30 years ago was Ayoob's book, In the Gravest Extreme. It hasn't been republished or updated, but is still available through Amazon most of the time. This lays everything out in complete detail; the new book "Deadly Force" is for the most part an addendum and update to In the Gravest Extreme.

I was in Louisiana in 1984 when I first got the book, and based on some of its advice, went out and found a Colt Detective Special as my carry weapon. Still have that Colt, and the book, too ;-)
That book is STILL probably the "Bible" in matters of self-defense. Not long but great info. Also, Mas has a DVD of one of his classes. Excellent! It's available on his website and for around $35 you, too, can take a 90 minute class from Mas Ayoob. Massad ayoob, lethal force institute, ammunition sales, handgun ammunition, tactical gear

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I once heard one lawyer say to the other, " half of the people in prison are there because they did not know how to shut up" If you find yourself in a situation ,shut up and get a good lawyer. It is great to educate yourself, but when it comes down to it, get a lawyer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I once heard one lawyer say to the other, " half of the people in prison are there because they did not know how to shut up" If you find yourself in a situation ,shut up and get a good lawyer. It is great to educate yourself, but when it comes down to it, get a lawyer.
Many of the people who have been charged with brandishing or pointing a weapon at a person,have already made the mistake of trying to explain it to the cop who came to investigate it.

Best advice i can give from my time dealing with this charge is just don't try just try explaining anything to the cop.

Anything you just blurt out that cop will surly try using it against you in his or her report.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts