Defensive Carry banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got the money together to take the Utah CC class, and came across something interesting.

In the class we were told that Utah had changed the Notify laws, so that it was not required, but highly recommended. They couldn't tell me why or when...Anyone with more info?

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
DISCLAIMER THE FOLLOWING DOES NOT APPLY IF YOU HAVE A LEGAL DUTY TO INFORM
Unless the officer is going to pat you down or specifically asks you if you are armed there is no good reason to volunteer the information.

All it does is open you up to harassment from an anti cop. As a general rule the less information you give a cop during an official encounter the better off you are

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Well I finally got the money together to take the Utah CC class, and came across something interesting.

In the class we were told that Utah had changed the Notify laws, so that it was not required, but highly recommended. They couldn't tell me why or when...Anyone with more info?
I also took the Utah CC class last year and was given a handout of Utah Pistol Law. Did you get this? The answer to your question is on Page 2:

Permit holders should know what to do if confronted by the police.
Note: Utah law does not require you to inform a police officer, but it is highly recommended!

Permit holders should know what to do during a police encounter:
1. Keep your hands visible at all times.
2. Comply fully with all instructions given by the officer.
3. If you are asked if you have a firearm in your presence, it is recommended
that you be completely truthful and cooperative.
4. If asked, please advise the officer of the location of the firearm.
5. Do not reach for your firearm or other weapons unless instructed to do so.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It's not required in Utah to notify anymore but highly recommended.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand the law and the routine if you have an encounter with LEO where it would be a good idea to Notify.

Every other state I have been in it has been required to notify or a mute point cause CC was illegal. I was under the impression that Utah was a must notify state in the past.

What I'm asking is was this a recent change? And if so why?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
What I'm asking is was this a recent change? And if so why?
Yes this was changed recently. I think that the basis for this change was when Utah passed a law that allowed a person to carry a loaded handgun in their vehicle without a permit. I believe this was an extension of the Castle Doctrine in Utah. Your vehicle is now considered to be similar to your home. The change was about a year ago.

·
Registered
367 Posts
No you don't have to notify. As for why who cares, Utah gun laws are the best in the nation except maybe Alaska but I have not researched all of Alaska's laws. This law was changed in the last year or two before the loaded weapon in the car change so it has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that makes sense, thanks guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts