Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in about November, our overtime will kick in for the holiday rush (I work for a major brand clothing company in the distribution center), and I just maybe able to wing a QUALITY firearm with a DEADLY round (not this little .25 gun iv been flammed over). My checks will be about 30-50% more than they are now and at the very least, I will be able to lay something away until taxes come back.

I am wanting something that is sub compact or compact, under 4in is key. Im at a loss between the .45, 9mm and .357sig if I go automatic. Revolver would be nothing but a .357mag, so lets skip that in this thread.

I know its been discussed, and this is the ford vs. chevy thread per say, but what would be a decent weapon in those rounds, and what is ammo in the .45 and .357sig costing now days. I know what 9mm is costing, which is why I did not ask.

Im thinking either Glock or Xd, but not totally set. Again, I do not know what to expect to pay for anything over a 9mm (if I do a 9mm, it will more than likely be a G19 or G26).

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
At this date and time, the best bang for the buck is the Sig SP2022. It comes in 9mm and 40 S&W, albeit the 40 is difficult to find. Barrel length is 3.9 ins. Go on the Sig forum and check out the reviews.....I have yet to read a bad one!
Products & Services

I just ordered one from Bud's, and at a price of $439 delivered, you can't even come close with any other Sig.

Other recommendations are: Glock 19 (9mm) around $500 new
Glock 30 (45 auto) around $550

Good luck and enjoy the chase!

·
Registered
657 Posts
The slogan Glock Perfection? It is in reference to the G19. It's down to either that or the M&P9 for my next purchase. Reliable, concealable, high capacity - what more could you ask for?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Justtherenow, Let me see if I can answer some of your questions. .357 SIG practice ammo at wal-mart is around $23-$24 for a box of wwb(50 rounds). .45 is about the same price range. Glock 19/26 will run about $500-$529 without taxes in my neck of the woods. Take a look at CZ pistols. My P-01 has thus far been very reliable and very accurate. Yes, I am biased. SIG is another good option. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'll second a CZ. I have a pcr and it is the perfect gun for me and has never given any problems.

Depends on what your preferences are though - striker vs DA/SA? Polymer vs. steel/aluminum? Is this going to be an all day carry item or an all around practical gun?

I only own glocks and CZs so my opinion is a little biased as well. But for all day carry, can't beat a glock. For all around best bang for the buck, can't beat a CZ (or glock :wink:).

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Ammo cost, is one of the biggest reasons I have gone back to carrying a 9mm as my main EDC. With today's new high performance ammo designs, I don't really feel there is much difference between any of the major handgun calibers, if you do your part. So I would go with a 9mm, so the cost of practicing won't be prohibitive.

I have both the G19 and 26. If I had to chose one as my EDC, for all seasons and situations, it would be the G26. It is a little easier to conceal because of the shorter grip. I carry G19 mags as my extras when I carry the G26.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ammo cost, is one of the biggest reasons I have gone back to carrying a 9mm as my main EDC. With today's new high performance ammo designs, I don't really feel there is much difference between any of the major handgun calibers, if you do your part. So I would go with a 9mm, so the cost of practicing won't be prohibitive.

I have both the G19 and 26. If I had to chose one as my EDC, for all seasons and situations, it would be the G26. It is a little easier to conceal because of the shorter grip. I carry G19 mags as my extras when I carry the G26.
:hand10: Have to 2nd that, and I EDC a G22, wish I could shoot more with it, but I have been taking my G17 out more often, these days.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Glock-36...dependability combined with conceal-ability...:danceban:
Yea, that's the ticket...:yup:

·
Registered
394 Posts
+1 on the G19 \ or G26, i dont carry myself but theres been a least 4 other threads asking the same question and the G19\G26 always shines though, the G19 tends to come more reccomended.

9mm is cheap and you can practice lots.

·
Registered
862 Posts
just throwing my hat in the ring.... Glock 26/27 or Glock 30 SF all are awesome. But depends on your grip/what meets your needs but you can't go wrong with any of those Glocks. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm curious to hear what anyone thinks of the xd 3" in 9mm.
I just purchased a new XD9sub. Traded up from a Taurus Millenium Pro. Took it to the range an hour later after cleaning/lubing it.

Darn pistol shot better than I did. Shot 4 different loads/manufacturers through it. Whitebox 115gr. fmj, Blazer 115gr.fmj, GoldenSabre 124gr +P jhp, Winchester 147gr jhp. All fired flawlessly, 200 rounds later I'm sold on it and it will be IWB EDC.

Can't go wrong there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You're going to get all kinds of answers here. I like CZ quite a bit. I have a full size CZ-75B in 9mm (My favorite pistol design), but haven't been able to carry it due to problems with getting my holster made right. I currently carry a little Kahr, but am upgrading to a G32 in .357 Sig for winter carry. 9mm is indeed inexpensive - and a great round - especially with all the great loads these days, but I'm willing to take the plunge for the more powerful and expensive .357 Sig. I wanted something unique - and the Sig round is just that. If I desire I believe I can throw a G19 barrel into my 32 if I ever want to shoot 9mm. Have fun getting all types of crazy answers!

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
Just my $0.02.

I would decide on a platform first, as you have the striker fired plastic doublestack up against the single action single stack autoloader.

With that said I would go with the single action double stack autoloader myself in a John Moses Browning design in either 9mm or .40 S&W. The .40 S&W can be converted to .357 Sig by virtue of a "drop in" barrel. You could also drop in a 9mm barrel and change your magazines and fire 9mm out of your .40 S&W.

In short I would select the Hi Power in .40 S&W and not look back. It addresses all the weak points of the 1911 and isn't a plastic disposable gun. I do own one "plastic disposable gun" and it's a Glock 19.

Biker

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
IMO, The G27 would fit your situation well. The .40 caliber is a very effective caliber with plenty of punch. The Glock platform is hard to beat IMO and the G27 is pretty compact for the .40 round. I have the G23 and if I had to chose just one pistol, that would be the one. If you chose the 9mm, the G26 is a excellent choice for that too. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all of the insightful replies. I have always been one for striker fired pistols, but am not stuck on it. I had a Glock 19 before and i LOVED IT. To bad divorce got in the way and that pesky lawyer wanted more money, so I had to rid myself. I still, to this day remember the serial number.

I do not like the .40, fired it quite a bit and never liked the snap of the recoil, 9mm is ok, always had them, was thinking .45 or .357sig just for the stopping power.

·
Super Moderator
19,680 Posts
My $0.02 worth says to skip the .357 Sig - primarily based on price and availability of ammo. You can almost always find .45 or 9mm even in the boonies, but finding .357 Sig will be dicey. On top of that, even though the .357 Sig has been with us for a full decade, its street performance is still far less well-documented than the 9mm or .45 ACP. If you just go by the preponderance of evidence, the traditional calibers well serve you well for sure.

I'll also enter a vote for a CZ... excellent weapon in a range of sizes. About the worst that can be said is that it might need a trigger job.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts