Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came to several realizations:

1) Guns aren't my only hobby, and although I have an ample budget of discretionary funds, there are limits and I can't always have it all (damn!).
2) My gun collection is random and disorderly. At that time it consisted of: 2 M&Ps,Glock,HK,Kel Tec,Taurus in 9mm,40 and 357 Sig. I was stretched across five different platforms and three different calibers that are all basically the same except the 357 Sig.
3)The market right now is a sellers market, I'm not looking to profiteer but I don't need all these guns and I know there is a market for most of them where I can recoup at least most of what I spent on them originally.
4) I have two single stack subcompacts and both are pieces of junk.
5) I need to either get out of 9mm or .40, they are so close in performance that having both is just a logistical pain. I consider 357 Sig a unique animal (much like 10mm), but I don't have DHS money so it isn't reasonable to use that as my primary shooter, it stays.

In other words (to quote Office Space): "We are going to be doing a little 'right sizing'"...

What I have done so far:
-Sold both M&Ps (FS and compact), got about 85% of what I paid for them.
-Sold the Glock 27gen4 plus 500rd of .40 ammo to a friend of a friend.
-Sent the Taurus 740 off to them to get every issue fixed once and for all before I sell it (got them to pay for shipping after saying I was going to throw it in the trash to the service manager on the phone haha!).
-Got a new barrel for the Kel Tec (mine was accumulating rust, nothing serious just cosmetic but hey it's a warranty).
-Bought a brand new Ruger LC9 with Lasermax. I had been looking to get another single stack 9mm once I could find one actually reliable, I was looking for the basic model buy couldn't find it so I bought the model with the laser. Don't care much about the laser but it's something i'm going to give a try.
-Bought my first assault machine gun (haha couldn't resist! :image035:)...Bushmaster C15ORC. I actually haven't really done much more than take it out of the box and clean it, I'm stocking up on ammo and assault clips (hehehe :banana:...OK I'm done) before a big range day focused just on it. I wanted a basic entry level AR for awhile and was planning on buying one late last year but obviously things happened and well you know the rest. I bought mine at Cabelas for a fair price, this will be a sporting rifle and HD gun if I need a long gun for that or just want to shoot people off my balcony.

What I am looking at doing:
-The HK (P2000SK) is here to stay, for now. I don't shoot it much due to ammo cost and it isn't the best carry gun I've found but I'm not going to sell it either.
-Mid sized .45...This is the big thing, I don't own a .45 but have shot them and like how it shoots. I know it is a bit more expensive than 9mm or .40 but not terribly. I have a rule about my handguns right now: they must be practical to carry.

What are suggestions/feedback on these moves? I want to build a complete but also concise collection, I don't have a revolver but I don't feel a need for one right now either. The same goes for a shotgun, I have little to no use for it right now.

Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Off the junk Tauruses and KelTec and buy a couple of quality guns. Smith & Wesson revolvers. Sig Sauer semi's. Browning Hi Power. Quality 1911.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Off the junk Tauruses and KelTec and buy a couple of quality guns. Smith & Wesson revolvers. Sig Sauer semi's. Browning Hi Power. Quality 1911.
Did you miss the part about "I don't need/want a revolver and all handguns must be practical to carry"? Sigs are HEAVY and the polymer ones are pieces of junk, Hi Power is cool but not a carry gun nor is a 1911, too heavy and begging to snag with all the stuff sticking off.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Did you miss the part about "I don't need/want a revolver and all handguns must be practical to carry"? Sigs are HEAVY and the polymer ones are pieces of junk, Hi Power is cool but not a carry gun nor is a 1911, too heavy and begging to snag with all the stuff sticking off.
If you're open to 1911's, check out the STI line. They've got a number of .45ACP pistols that won't readily snag, and won't drag your belt down to your ankles. Check the STI Shadow .45, for example, or it's double-stack brother, or any of STI's 2011 pistols (such as the VIP).

Given your basic requirements, I'd say the Heckler & Koch HK45 Compact or USP Compact might fit the bill nicely. Both are a bit thicker than some prefer, but these are in the ~7" range and should work well as a defensive pistol. Many absolutely love them.

I'd also suggest a CZ 97 .45, though it's much closer to the Beretta M9 size that you don't like. Springfield has a couple in their XD line that ought to meet your needs, size-wise.

Some options from Handgun Database Search @ Genitron.com:

Kahr P45
Kahr CW45
Para Carry 45
Para Lite Hawg 45
Para Nite Hawg 45
Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro 45
S&W CS45
Colt Defender
Colt New Agent
Detonics Combat Master
Springfield 1911 A1 Micro Compact

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I think the Hi-Power is a fine carry gun. In fact, I carried one for 20+ years! At the moment I'm toting a Beretta Nano because it's smaller and because a bum round ruptured in my HP and I need to have it worked on before I carry it again.

An HK45C would be a good carry gun if you want a .45 ACP.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I carry a Kimber 4" and it does not hang up or snag when I draw it or wear it. It is almost as light as my ruger sr40c. See avatar..

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
If i was to buy a decent .45 I would think For price and size Ruger SR45 and the SR1911(CMD). I have shot my friends SR1911 (Full Size) it is really a blast. Plus that is is EDC.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
What I am looking at doing:
-Mid sized .45...This is the big thing, I don't own a .45 but have shot them and like how it shoots. I know it is a bit more expensive than 9mm or .40 but not terribly. I have a rule about my handguns right now: they must be practical to carry.
I have two suggestions for a mid size .45. The first is an aluminum frame 1911 with 4 inch barrel. I have a Kimber CDP Pro that has been an excellent gun, and there are many other good brands on the market.

The second suggestion is an HK45 compact, which is a good size for carry. You already have an HK P2000sk which you seem to like, so this would be an extension of that theme. I don't own the HK45c but have other H&K products that have all performed well for me.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Where I live both .40 and .45 are cheaper than 9mm (and easier to find). I would standardize on 40 and 45 if I were you. Getting a 1911 would be job 1. Good luck!

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
You sound like me. I sold off my Ruger 10/22 and AR-15 plus a bunch of handguns I rarely used. Got good money for them too. I often change my gun collection. I went through a all Sig phase, an all revolver phase, an all Glock phase, and all semi auto phase, an all 9mm phase, an all .45 phase and a SA revolver phase. I am currently in a pocket gun phase which I seem to like. However I have been eyeing some 1911's and trying to resist going into a 1911 phase. Best to wait for prices to drop and all those guns bought in panic to flood the market. Why so many bought rifles they have no intention of using and guns like revolvers that never were in danger of being banned, is beyond my comprehension but I will benefit when they hot the market and I can pick them up for half their cost. :)

·
Banned
22 Posts
The only suggestion I would make is regarding calibers:

The .40 and .45 seem to me to be redundant. They are practically the same cartridge.

Sticking with 9mm and .45 acp would make the most practical sense to me. It's what I did, except that I also have a fair collection of .38/357 revolvers, which you have already said you have no use for. A sound basic battery would IMO include .22LR, .38/357, 9mm and .45acp. If I really had to dump one, I'd dump the 9mm and keep the rest, mainly because I think (1) the .38 and 9mm are too close in ballistics to merit keeping both, and (2) my .45acp's are all semi-automatics, and it makes more sense to me to have some revolvers and some semi's in the collection.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To update...I'm having major issues with my LC9, the end of the ordeal is still TBD. That makes now 3 singles stack subcompact semi autos I have purchased and had issues with all 3, I give up.

Bought a BNIB G26gen4 today, that will be my primary EDC from now on. I'm getting closer to eliminating .40 entirely, I found a buyer for my remaining ammo today and as soon as the Taurus comes back from it's latest Miami vacation it is going up for sale ASAP. I think I'll keep the Kel Tec since it's 9mm and has basically no resale value anyway, maybe I'll have to 'solve a problem' sometime and need a throwdown piece...:wink:

Next on the overall list is probably a .22 pistol. I'm thinking either a Walther or Ruger with threaded barrel to eventually get a can for to indulge my James Bond fantasies. After that, my other centerfire caliber is going to be .45, not sure which type yet, probably a Glock or M&P (I started a thread for this but it turned into a useless 1911 drool fest). I'm keeping the HK in .357 Sig for now at least, but I don't intend to buy any more ammo or shoot it much, it is just too damn expensive (I knew this going in but it has turned out to be even worse than I thought it would be, $0.65/rd is considered cheap for range ammo, reloads are a no go because the idea of shooting a reloaded 357 Sig scares me).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts