Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a temporary retail warehouse sale Nov and Dec in a suburban area in a smaller mall that is on the decline. 24,000 sq feet in an area that is ok, but some sketchy characters in the area. Any ideas on security? We mostly take payment in credit cards and some checks, not a ton of cash but thinking it might be looked at as lots of easy cash for a couple of bad guys. we close at 5 so will be locking the door soon after that. I will talk to the local police and get their scoop on the area and hopefully they'll try and make a swing by around closing time. There are dock doors that will be locked so only one main front door. I'll be carrying of course. Any other ideas on some security precautions?

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
The only thing better than a guy with a gun is two guys with guns...take an armed friend.
I notice that at a local grocery store around here, a cop shows up when the manager walks down to a bank in the same little mall area to use their drop box.
Either way, two sets of armed eyes have to be better than being alone.OMO

·
Registered
712 Posts
There are dock doors that will be locked so only one main front door. I'll be carrying of course. Any other ideas on some security precautions?
Better check the fire regs. and how you lock those doors. In most municipalities you can't lock egress exits from the inside in commercial establishments.
Ditto on having a second pair of armed eyes.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
While I do not know the laws in your area, I know what has worked in this area many times over. Stores kept being repeatedly robbed. The owners began having ALL employees openly carrying during work times. After the employees started OCing, none of the stores that were often robbed have been robbed since.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I would also recommend setting up at least some temporary video surveillance particularly on the entrance/ exit area. Off-duty cops(s) is another very worthy investment. Good luck!

Reactions: CommonCents

·
Registered
38 Posts
As suggested, hiring an off duty cop is easy and relatively inexpensive to do. They will come dressed in uniform and driving their police issued vehicle. Have a parking spot saved up front for them for even more deterrent. Simply talk to a cop to find out how to get the word out that you a looking to hire someone, or call the local police station and ask.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts