Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these sort of holsters able to retain the weapon when you're being active, bending, reaching, etc.? If I'm carrying, I'd want to be able to do whatever I need to do without saying "hey, hold on while I put my weapon in my car before I help you move that heavy item".

I know having a strap that goes over the back end would slow down a draw, but 99% of the time, I think the idea of the weapon falling out would be more of a concern than taking an extra step in presenting the weapon.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wear a crossbreed style hybrid IWB holster and my weapon does not move at all. The holster it self has enough retention for me to hold it upside down and the weapon not slide out. Also when you put it on, the curve of your body puts more retention between the leather and kydex.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Yes, I thought not having a retention screw on the SHTF ACE 1 holster would be a problem, but it has as much retention as my old
Blade-Tech.

If I can jump up and down without the gun falling out, I know I'm good to go.

Some guys might opt to reheat the kydex a bit, but I'm not to that point yet.

The ONLY bad thing that I can say about SHTF GEAR is that they don't offer
any CZ 2075 RAMI holsters quite yet.

Both products and customer service seem to be more than adequate, and I'm not
hearing of wait times for up to 6 months like I've done with other Hybrid holster
companies.

The most comfortable Kydex holster I've ever worn!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Retention should be good with either CB/SHTF, If you want more check out Oldfaithful holsters the shell is held on with screws instead of rivets so you can adjust retention to your likeing. IMHO you cant hardly beat the price either.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had a CBST for my M&P9c and it was a delight to wear. The gun never moved and the holster was very comfortable! I ordered one for my Px4 Compact 6 weeks ago today so I'm expecting that shipping notification any time now! :)

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I wear a crossbreed style hybrid IWB holster and my weapon does not move at all. The holster it self has enough retention for me to hold it upside down and the weapon not slide out. Also when you put it on, the curve of your body puts more retention between the leather and kydex.
This^^^ I have a galco king-tuk and it works the same way.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
This^^^ I have a galco king-tuk and it works the same way.
Yes, I have both, the CB and the Galco king Tuk but I use the Galco for my EDC. I bought the Galco because it was available with no wait.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I haven't done any running, but I play pretty rough with my kids on a regular basis and have never had a problem with my CBST. They also send you instructions with it on how to heat it up and increase the natural retention.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd like to chime in here for the other side of the coin. I have a MaxTuck, and I can't get the retention tight enough. I noticed it last weekend when I was running up the stairs in my house. I could here my XD9 jumping in and out of the kydex. I've heated it several times, but still haven't gotten it tight enough yet. I wear it at about 5 o'clock so there's not much bend in the leather inside the kydex to cause tighter retention.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Crossbreed super tuck has great retention. I wrestle with my kids/dog, and it's stays where it's supposed to.

Reactions: tcox4freedom

·
Registered
59 Posts
For those of you with good retention, where do you wear it? Since I wear mine at 5 o'clock, there is not a lot of bend in the leather to push against the kydex.

·
Premium Member
39,179 Posts
I bought one Crossbreed Super Tuck early on, and found its lack of its own retention to be one of several things which has caused me to avoid the hybrid platform.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I have several SHTF ACE-1 holster and the retention is excellent. I can take either my ruger SR40C or my Glock 22 and turn it upside down and it stays in place. Also there is no lateral movement either, so it will not shift in the holster either. I highly recommend SHTF, I wouldnt ttrade mine for anything

·
Registered
701 Posts
I actually prefer the retention on my crossbreed holster to be if I put an unloaded gun in the holster and held it upside down and shook it the gun would come out. To me that is the perfect amount of retention because you have to remember that your belt will also provide more retention to keep the gun from coming out. With the retention set that way I find that the gun draws smoother and doesn't hang up when I try to draw.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just bought a CB and the letter that came with it on retention basically said, they try to make it perfect but everyone prefers different fits.

It goes on to state that heating it just a tad will tighten it up, but be careful not to over heat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Like others have said, they hold just fine. If it ever did come loose, or want MORE retention like I did, you just heat up the kydex and push a little on the indention of the trigger area and it gets tighter. I have a cb and a dustin holster and both are fine. I wear mine at 9:00.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
For those of you with good retention, where do you wear it? Since I wear mine at 5 o'clock, there is not a lot of bend in the leather to push against the kydex.
I wear my CBST AIWB. It's important to realize an IWB holster is designed with a good "belt" in mind to help it's retention. I've never had any issues in the four plus years carrying using my CBST.

-

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wear my CBST AIWB. It's important to realize an IWB holster is designed with a good "belt" in mind to help it's retention. I've never had any issues in the four plus years carrying using my CBST.

-
I've got a good belt (Hank's), so it's not the belt. The holster doesn't move at all. It's the gun that actually moves in and out of the kydex. I've contacted White Hat about it and they are working with me on getting it adjusted. I sent them some pics last night so I'm anxiously looking forward to their response.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts