Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've moved and taken a new job. Because of that, I've been shooting way more; what with a range all of 5 minutes away, and I've also been carrying my G26 in 9mm more and more.

I've always had the 26, but it was hard to carry before in my old job with my fitted, tucked in shirts. So I moved to a Walther PPS. That too was hard to carry. Sort of. The weight mostly. So when I got my little G42 in .380, I thought I had found the perfect gun. It was light, it was thin, and I could put all 8 (Magguts) rounds on target as fast as I could pull the trigger. I got pretty good with that little gun.

As I shot my 26 more and more, getting it perfectly sighted in, I shot my 42 less and less. I've been having so much fun with my 26 here lately, that I'm bouncing cans about, out to 50 yards with it. Seriously, practice really is your friend. But today, with my new box of 1,000 rounds in .380 still in the car, I figured it was time to shoot my little 42 again. WOOT.

Now note, both my 26 and 42 have XS Big Dots, so when I drew my 42 today, I aimed it like I had been with my 26. I was shooting stupid low with her for well over 50 rounds before I recalled where to hold the little 42. It was almost embarrassing how off target I was shooting with my carry gun! I mean I should have known because it really didn't feel very natural. It actually kind of frightened me. Sure at 7 yards I would be fine, but what if it went farther out? With all the stress, would I even have hit a thing?

Which has me thinking. Maybe I need to stop putzing around with so many guns. Handguns anyway. Yeah, I've been shooting my PPS as well. Maybe I just need to find the gun I like, and buy two. One for redundancy reasons.

I mean the thing about handgun sights is you can adjust for windage, but height is another thing altogether.

I'm really torn. I'm going to be getting a carbine to take over my home defence needs. It'll have some form of red dot. But I'm seriously thinking of going back to one caliber, and one gun in that caliber for my person. Maybe getting two of the same weapon.

What do you guys think? What am I missing / over thinking / or whatever. I'm kind of tired of looking for the perfect gun and really tired of buying and selling lol.

P.S. Thanks for reading / input

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Hoo boy, have I been there. Do try to always keep at least two handguns in case one of them is out of service for a while, but, you don't have to have so many guns and so many calibers. Believe me on this, it can become detrimental to keep buying ammo for and practicing with so many different guns and calibers. I've got news for you, there is no such thing as a perfect gun, nor a perfect caliber for that matter. Find a gun you can shoot the best with, a caliber you can shoot best with, not "good enough" with, and keep slinging lead. I think sometimes we get so caught up in other aspects of shooting and defense that we completely pass over the the most important one..what suits our needs.

I've lost a LOT of money in guns between restocking fees for guns I thought I wanted and guns that, for any number of reasons just didn't work out. I've carried 5 shooters up to 18 shooters, pocket pistols to "Why are you carrying a Howitzer?" pistols. I've gone through more guns and holsters than I'll ever publicly admit to. I still have a lot of guns, but it's more "want" than "need". Some days I feel like carrying a .44, some days a 9. You're probably just suffering from "I don't know what I want vs need". I have a feeling most of us went through it at some point. The 26 is a good gun, and you're good with it. Why not just buy one more and call it a day for handguns?

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I used to rotate through a slew of guns, but I've settled in to two guns for carry, either a P229 or a P320 variant. They both have the same POA/POI characteristics for me, though there are slight variances in what would be considered optimum grip. So I have at least two of both, and different caliber options if I really want them. I've been shooting both almost exclusively for about a year. When I picked up a G19 a few weeks ago, I was really caught off guard as to how much I had to change in my grip to get good shots. It really opened my eyes about all the switching I used to do. Why should I try to get good with multiple platforms, before I get proficient with the one I like to carry the most?

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Well one obvious thing, (good post, btw) is that will you ever really need to shoot out past 21-25 feet in a SD situation? I doubt it.

Is there any 'distance' in your home defense arena that is that far? If so, then that would be the logical end point. I would not fret that much. When we go to shoot the 42 and the G26 at the range, I myself have no difficulties out to about 30 feet with either, interchanging them.

Just keep in mind that out in the street you really should have very little cause to shoot past 7-8 yards.

Good luck and keep practicing!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hoo boy, have I been there. Do try to always keep at least two handguns in case one of them is out of service for a while, but, you don't have to have so many guns and so many calibers. Believe me on this, it can become detrimental to keep buying ammo for and practicing with so many different guns and calibers. I've got news for you, there is no such thing as a perfect gun, nor a perfect caliber for that matter. Find a gun you can shoot the best with, a caliber you can shoot best with, not "good enough" with, and keep slinging lead. I think sometimes we get so caught up in other aspects of shooting and defense that we completely pass over the the most important one..what suits our needs.

I've lost a LOT of money in guns between restocking fees for guns I thought I wanted and guns that, for any number of reasons just didn't work out. I've carried 5 shooters up to 18 shooters, pocket pistols to "Why are you carrying a Howitzer?" pistols. I've gone through more guns and holsters than I'll ever publicly admit to. I still have a lot of guns, but it's more "want" than "need". Some days I feel like carrying a .44, some days a 9. You're probably just suffering from "I don't know what I want vs need". I have a feeling most of us went through it at some point. The 26 is a good gun, and you're good with it. Why not just buy one more and call it a day for handguns?
Dude - it's like you are reading my mail!

I really do like my 26, but I shoot the .380 the fastest. Bar none.

Thanks for the responses/understanding gents. I've hit that point. I'm going to do something - and then STOP lol.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Can you do without the Big Dot? Maybe putting the factory sight back on will bring your POI up on the 42.
I wouldn't get rid of it if that's what your thinking. It's so thin and light it will fill a niche again someday. I'd just find a front/rear sight combination that works without having to modify your hold.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well one obvious thing, (good post, btw) is that will you ever really need to shoot out past 21-25 feet in a SD situation? I doubt it.

Is there any 'distance' in your home defense arena that is that far? If so, then that would be the logical end point. I would not fret that much. When we go to shoot the 42 and the G26 at the range, I myself have no difficulties out to about 30 feet with either, interchanging them.

Just keep in mind that out in the street you really should have very little cause to shoot past 7-8 yards.

Good luck and keep practicing!
Man - Good Point - no not really. But I am in Western KS. There's a lot oh space out here. Like tons lol. I do want to be able to at least be able to.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you do without the Big Dot? Maybe putting the factory sight back on will bring your POI up on the 42.
I wouldn't get rid of it if that's what your thinking. It's so thin and light it will fill a niche again someday. I'd just find a front/rear sight combination that works without having to modify your hold.
Going to dig through my "parts" box. Not a bad idea PA. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I have adopted the "one gun" mentality. I have multiple guns in the safe at home, but the only one that gets regular attention from me is my edc. I make time to remain proficient with my edc. I do not choose to make time to be proficient with the rest. It is always a choice in how we prioritize our life. Between the wife, the kids, the job, and the friends...I make the choice to limit my range time. If my range time is going to be limited...I want to be proficient at what I might need someday to protect all that I love. It helps that I enjoy shooting my 642. :yup:

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Certain sights on certain guns can make a world of difference. If you decide to keep either one, maybe look into some trijicon sights for it (HD/TFX Pro if you want a nice set of FO for daylight use and having the night option all in one set). Or, as PAcanis said, put the originals back on and see if it helps you.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I think a lot of us have been there. Myself I settled on the G43 as my 75% of the time carry gun. The biggest reason is practice ammo cost. I just felt I was better off with more practice from less calibers, plus I shoot it really well. I have only 4 handguns now and regularly carry only three (kind of retired the snub 38). The G43 gets 75% like I said and 20% its the GP100 for woods carry and maybe 5% the .380 just by itself although there are times I carry the LCP with either of the other two as a backup. The G43 is starting a pocket carry trial as well so maybe I can get down to just 2 calibers 9mm and .357 magnum. To be honest though that LCP hides so well I will keep it for those "nothing else will do" times. I practice shooting different calibers/guns about the same percentage as I do carrying them.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Man - Good Point - no not really. But I am in Western KS. There's a lot oh space out here. Like tons lol. I do want to be able to at least be able to.
Just because you likely won't have to shoot a certain distance, doesn't mean you will never in your life have to. Practice to hit at all reasonable ranges for your type of gun and caliber. If you can bounce a can at 50 yards, you can hit an active shooter at 50 yards.

·
Premium Member
36,781 Posts
If I want to make the can bounce at fifty yards, the .380 doesn't come out of my pocket. If I need to make a close range hit in a half second, the mouse gun gets the call.

Admittedly, I'm no fan of night sights, but those spotlights are a bit much on a Glock 42.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
If I want to make the can bounce at fifty yards, the .380 doesn't come out of my pocket. If I need to make a close range hit in a half second, the mouse gun gets the call.

Admittedly, I'm no fan of night sights, but those spotlights are a bit much on a Glock 42.
I thought the XS big dots were too much even on a GP100. Just covered too much real estate.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
If you have a range 5 minutes away, and can afford the ammo, then you should be able to remain proficient with two guns, easily. The G42 will fit were the G26 won't.

That said, I'm down to two types of guns that actually get carried. Most days it's a pair of LCPs, and someimes a SP101 and a LCP. I don't get to go to the range nearly as much as I would like, so this year, my range time will be dedicated to getting as good as I can with the LCPs.

So, I get where you're coming from.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I always suggest that people decide on what size/weight/ergonomics is practical for them to carry regularly and then adopt the largest caliber within those restrictions. Once you decide on a weapon, develop on that platform and don't monkey around with other guns. If after a while you feel like the gun is right for you.. get a second one, buy mags, buy repair parts and be done with it for a lifetime.

My "go-to" gun will always be a Browning HP.. and yeah, I bought 2 and probably 20 magazine and associated repair parts. I do still believe in what I said above but honestly I did buy a G43 due to some off and on back problems. I switched from a revolver to a semi auto in 1989.. its always been the Browning HP until advancing age and personal wear/ tear demanded that I carry something lighter. I could just switch to the G43 as my primary but I just cant give up my all steel gun. I am just funny that way.

To hammer my point... adopt a specific platform and run with it. A warrior has tools not play pretties.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

LOL!!! But I really love those spotlights. :schild42::fahrzeug019:

I don't have the best eyes. Those things work for me - especially if I don't have my glasses on. Where they really shine (pun intended) is in low light. Admittedly, they take some getting used to.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I always suggest that people decide on what size/weight/ergonomics is practical for them to carry regularly and then adopt the largest caliber within those restrictions. Once you decide on a weapon, develop on that platform and don't monkey around with other guns. If after a while you feel like the gun is right for you.. get a second one, buy mags, buy repair parts and be done with it for a lifetime.

My "go-to" gun will always be a Browning HP.. and yeah, I bought 2 and probably 20 magazine and associated repair parts. I do still believe in what I said above but honestly I did buy a G43 due to some off and on back problems. I switched from a revolver to a semi auto in 1989.. its always been the Browning HP until advancing age and personal wear/ tear demanded that I carry something lighter. I could just switch to the G43 as my primary but I just cant give up my all steel gun. I am just funny that way.

To hammer my point... adopt a specific platform and run with it. A warrior has tools not play pretties.
I'm really starting to lean this way. Thanks.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
It really sounds to me as though you are asking for a platform (a .380 handgun, a 9mm, and so on) to be able to do 'everything', and anything. You are wanting to be able to 'shoot accurately past the actual necessary and sufficient condition', (i.e. 7-8 yards).

You don't need Jerry Miculek capability to be able to defend yourself. You don't need 'fast draw' skill. You need to 'shoot well' at the right time.

Wouldn't it be great if one had a compact handgun with a 30 round capacity that could shoot like an AR, with the stopping power of a 12 ga?

Basically, my point is all handguns have limits. They're not rifles. We accept those limits and are reassured because we are lucky to have a quite powerful and portable tool we can carry discretely that will handle any civilian SD need. Inside the home you have additional tools that you don't need to lug around. Right tool, right job, right time.

TL;DR: Don't over think it. As Clint Smith puts it, 'don't M.I.T. it'. :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
I've moved and taken a new job. Because of that, I've been shooting way more; what with a range all of 5 minutes away, and I've also been carrying my G26 in 9mm more and more.

I've always had the 26, but it was hard to carry before in my old job with my fitted, tucked in shirts. So I moved to a Walther PPS. That too was hard to carry. Sort of. The weight mostly. So when I got my little G42 in .380, I thought I had found the perfect gun. It was light, it was thin, and I could put all 8 (Magguts) rounds on target as fast as I could pull the trigger. I got pretty good with that little gun.

As I shot my 26 more and more, getting it perfectly sighted in, I shot my 42 less and less. I've been having so much fun with my 26 here lately, that I'm bouncing cans about, out to 50 yards with it. Seriously, practice really is your friend. But today, with my new box of 1,000 rounds in .380 still in the car, I figured it was time to shoot my little 42 again. WOOT.

Now note, both my 26 and 42 have XS Big Dots, so when I drew my 42 today, I aimed it like I had been with my 26. I was shooting stupid low with her for well over 50 rounds before I recalled where to hold the little 42. It was almost embarrassing how off target I was shooting with my carry gun! I mean I should have known because it really didn't feel very natural. It actually kind of frightened me. Sure at 7 yards I would be fine, but what if it went farther out? With all the stress, would I even have hit a thing?

Which has me thinking. Maybe I need to stop putzing around with so many guns. Handguns anyway. Yeah, I've been shooting my PPS as well. Maybe I just need to find the gun I like, and buy two. One for redundancy reasons.

I mean the thing about handgun sights is you can adjust for windage, but height is another thing altogether.

I'm really torn. I'm going to be getting a carbine to take over my home defence needs. It'll have some form of red dot. But I'm seriously thinking of going back to one caliber, and one gun in that caliber for my person. Maybe getting two of the same weapon.

What do you guys think? What am I missing / over thinking / or whatever. I'm kind of tired of looking for the perfect gun and really tired of buying and selling lol.

P.S. Thanks for reading / input
What ever floats your boat. I dis-like Glock with a passion!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts