Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of reverse 911 but this is the first time I have been called on one. We have an armed fugitive on the loose and I am in the three mile radius of where he was last spotted.

Code Red still active in Mar-Mac as search continues for armed suspect

The Mar-Mac community is under a Code Red alert from the Wayne County Sheriff's Office as a manhunt for a man who ran from a traffic stop in March got underway Monday.

Maj. Tom Effler said the man is also considered a possible suspect in a Sunday night murder in Dudley and should be considered armed and dangerous.

Effler said this morning the Code Red alert should still be considered active even though it was issued Monday evening, as the man has not been apprehended.

The area under code red is an approximate 3-mile radius from Durham Lake Road.

snip

Ward is a possible suspect in a Sunday night murder in Dudley in which 35-year-old David Demarlo Thompson was shot in his back yard at 109 Arrowhead Road and died on the way to the hospital.
I can't post a link since it is the local newspaper and they demand a subscription to read the whole article.

Effler said he could not go into detail about how Ward was developed as both the manhunt and possible murder suspect.

He said a Code Red means residents in the affected area should stay inside, lock their doors and call authorities if the man is spotted.
I'll just follow the Sheriff's instructions but load up a few extra mags, just in case.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Interesting. I've never heard of that before.
Several years ago they were searching for a fugitive around here. To the point there was a traffic stop set up. No one ever called me though.

·
Super Moderator
18,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. I've never heard of that before.
Several years ago they were searching for a fugitive around here. To the point there was a traffic stop set up. No one ever called me though.
Reverse 911 is a mass notification system to alert people in targeted areas using the 911 system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_911

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I got an email alert for an amber alert. I wonder if that's the same thing?

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Coles directory lookup at the local library gives people names, addresses and phone numbers going back decades. Used coles for a long time to find where people had lived previously during an investigation.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
A year or so ago, there was a manhunt in the local area after a man shot a female deputy with an AK, and then it took all night to find him.

I was 5 miles or so away, and got a push text message that alerted me to the situation, and I think said stay inside, or something like that.

I have gotten similar push notifications for amber alerts in the area, and severe storms.

Pretty sure the cell phone companies can push them to people who are in a defined area (probably based on the radius from towers, or some such thing).

Reactions: msgt/ret and AzQkr

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Being about a mile from three prisons, we get the call from time to time at work. Mom and Dad get them too, they're only 3-4 miles away. We got one once here when a tractor trailer overturned on the nearby interstate and spilled some potentially nasty stuff.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Banned
35 Posts
Before I retired from the fire department I managed our notification system which is similar to Reverse 911. Database is the published phone numbers and street address with residents able to opt in for cell or text notifications. Notifications can be sent by area; just draw a circle, square, or other shape on a map, pre-set call lists, or everybody. System would typically make about 3,000 calls per minute. We used it for flooding, lost people, road closures, storm cleanup and power restoration notices.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
When we lived in Arvada, we got one for the double homicide committed at the nearby YWAM, located across the parking lot from my son's daycare. This was the preliminary crime committed by Murray the night before his attempted massacre at the New Life Church in Colorado Springs- stopped by an armed citizen security team member.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Colorado_YWAM_and_New_Life_shootings

I checked all the doors and loaded the riot gun with lead BB goose loads.

At our current home.in the foothills, we just got on last month at 2:30 am for mandatory forest fire evacuation- not fun.

STAY SAFE!

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Administrator
144,136 Posts
I get Amber Alerts on my phone. I think I have had two to date.
Reverse 911...That's a new one on me.

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Pretty cool deal. Ive never heard of this. Im assuming I would need a home phone, as opposed to a cell phone number with an area code from 1500 miles away though.

·
Registered
41,589 Posts

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Ya never know...........stay safe.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pretty cool deal. Ive never heard of this. Im assuming I would need a home phone, as opposed to a cell phone number with an area code from 1500 miles away though.
When the call went out I received it both on my cell and landline.

Reactions: Havok

·
Registered
194 Posts
Pretty sure I had to sign up for them with the Sheriff's Office, but I've gotten Amber alerts, silver alerts, code red weather alerts, and one warning of an "armed and dangerous" person in the area. Kind of suspected something was up before I got that last one. Sheriff's chopper had been flying a race track pattern nearby for twenty minutes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts