Defensive Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After our recent photo review of the S&W M&P Shield vs. Compact 9c, MandPNews.com was flooded with requests to compare the Shield with Springfield Armory’s new XDs sub-compact .45 ACP, so naturally we did. One thing I noticed right off the bat was*the XDs was very nose heavy, even when loaded to capacity with its 5-rounds of 45. That’s right, with the supplied compact magazine, the XDs carries 5-rounds compared to the Shields 7 rounds. The XDs is also heavier by over 2 ounces and in this authors opinion, is a tiny gun for such a big caliber. Don’t get me wrong, I love the XDs, but I prefer the Shield for defensive carry. These photographs were taken with both the extended and regular magazines. Enjoy!

M&P shield Overall Length 6.1"
Springfield XDS Overall Length 6.3"

M&P Shield Overall Height: 4.6"
Springfield XDS Overall Height 4.4"

M&P Shield Frame Width: .95"
Springfield XDS Frame Width: 1"

M&P Shield Weight: 19.0 oz
Springfield XDS Weight: 21.5 oz.

M&P Shield Capacity: 7 Round & 8 Round
Springfield XDS Capacity:5 + 1 RDS

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have and shoot both , and much prefer the XDS. The size differance is a no brainer . there will never be a 45 as small as a 9mm. I prefer 5 plus 1 of 45 to the 9mm any day.My XDS does not feel nose heavy at all ?

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I have read quite a few reviews where people say the XDs is quite a bit of recoil, but the grip texture is such that it is "okay" to shoot. I have not shot the XDs, but want to.

Thanks for the pics. I honestly would have thought the XDS was shorter from grip bottom to top of slide.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
I've shot the XDS, probably about 100 rounds or so. I was surprised that the recoil is quite tame in that little gun. I'd dare say a .38 +P in an airweight j-frame with boot grips is more snappy than the XDS.

Perhaps the XDS just fits me well, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have read quite a few reviews where people say the XDs is quite a bit of recoil, but the grip texture is such that it is "okay" to shoot. I have not shot the XDs, but want to.

Thanks for the pics. I honestly would have thought the XDS was shorter from grip bottom to top of slide.
I have an XDS and I find the recoil to be very manageable for as small as it is. Most magazine reviews I've read echo my experience.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Nice shots, but something is clearly wrong with the perspective on the third photo. The XDS looks to be towering over the Shield in that picture. Yet, from the stats:

M&P Shield Overall Height: 4.6"
Springfield XDS Overall Height 4.4"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts