Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If one was in the market for a DA revolver that shoots both 45acp and 45 long colt, and you remove the judge and governor, what other options are there?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
What TSKnight said.

Ruger offers a Redhawk in the flavor you desire.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the Ruger 5032, it is a hoot to shoot, esp .45acp. You can blast a bunch of moon clipped rounds without any pain since the gun is heavy.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
FYI the Taurus guns dont shoot 45acp

To be frank with you ..Why? https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/10/22/review-ruger-redhawk-45-acp45-colt-revolver/ needs moonclips
I own a Ruger Redhawk 45colt/45acp and one great reason as to WHY is because you can shoot ALL SORTS of rimless 45 caliber cartridges in it. 45acp, 45HP, 45 Super, 45 win mag, 460 Rowland, and many of these (45acp and 45HP) are way cheaper than most 45 colt ammo if you want to mix it up.

I would take a close look at the Ruger Redhawk before you bought one though, the one I purchased has had some issues and the finish is really disappointing for the money I paid. The SW Governor might be a cool option as long as you don't want to fire hot 45 colt loads. Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I own a Ruger Redhawk 45colt/45acp and one great reason as to WHY is because you can shoot ALL SORTS of rimless 45 caliber cartridges in it. 45acp, 45HP, 45 Super, 45 win mag, 460 Rowland, and many of these (45acp and 45HP) are way cheaper than most 45 colt ammo if you want to mix it up.

I would take a close look at the Ruger Redhawk before you bought one though, the one I purchased has had some issues and the finish is really disappointing for the money I paid. The SW Governor might be a cool option as long as you don't want to fire hot 45 colt loads. Best of luck!
Revising an older thread , sorry . I have been seriously looking at the Ruger Redhawk . I have read a few comments on people having some problems with the moon clips and 45ACP on the Ruger 5032 . I own a S&W Governor and realize the 45 ACP is mainly for close up range practice and loses a lot of accuracy especially out of shorter barreled revolvers . Just concerned about the moon clips issue that has been floating around for a year or two . Never had a moon clip problem with the Governor but use it mainly as a house gun loaded with 2 Federal 410 Triple ought's , 2 Hornady 45 200 gr XTP's and 2 Hornady 45 Colt 185 gr FTX's in a holster that has this same attached to the side of it . The Ruger Redhawk and Blackhawk have a reputation for being built like tank . Just would like a little more input on using the Redhawk 4.2 in barrel at the range using a lot of 45 ACP's for practice and occasionally thrown in a few of those " expensive " 45 long colts . The opinion of most seems to be they love the Ruger Redhawk model 5032 . I will continue to research this moon clip issue and hopefully it's something that Ruger has addressed as the few articles I read were a couple years old .

·
Premium Member
6,424 Posts
Revising an older thread , sorry . I have been seriously looking at the Ruger Redhawk . I have read a few comments on people having some problems with the moon clips and 45ACP on the Ruger 5032 . I own a S&W Governor and realize the 45 ACP is mainly for close up range practice and loses a lot of accuracy especially out of shorter barreled revolvers . Just concerned about the moon clips issue that has been floating around for a year or two...

...The opinion of most seems to be they love the Ruger Redhawk model 5032 . I will continue to research this moon clip issue and hopefully it's something that Ruger has addressed as the few articles I read were a couple years old .
What seems to be the problem with the moon clips?

My only experience with moon clips is with the ol' Colt M1917. I (like many others) have found that there is a trade-off with moon clips. The softer ones are easier to load, but get easily deformed if they're knocked around much. The harder ones hold up better to rough handling, but are a beach to load & empty!

Wonder, too, if some may be trying to use the wrong moon clips? Colt, S&W, Taurus, and Ruger have all made .45 ACP revolvers that take moon clips, and they don't all necessarily take the exact same size clips. I'm still trying to find out for sure if the .45ACP/LC Redhawk can share clips with the Colt M1917. I've heard that it will not. I've had a couple of .44 Mag Redhawks, and have been seriously considering a Ruger 5032, but it would sure be a plus if it shared moon clips with the M1917.

Hope you'll post with any updated info you might come across on the subject! :yup:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
With all the baby boomers getting to the point where some may not be shooting any longer, you may notice boxes of reloading equipment showing up at your local gun shops or even garage sales. .45 Colt is not hard to reload, thou .45acp can give you problems until you get something that gets the crimp and sizing perfect. I think I had problems with lee dies (could have been my adjustments) until I bought a Dillon.

That Ruger would be tempting if I shot alot anymore. I had a 7 1/2 but liked a friends 5 1/2 better. Loved how it balanced and handled at a bowling pin table. Haven't held a 4.2" yet. Sounds like alot of versatility there.

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
As much as I like the idea of using .45ACP to cut down shooting costs as opposed to .45 Colt, the basic issue is that it is trying to use something for which it was not designed. I really like the idea, and I love the idea of Ruger's 9mm LCR, but the fact of the matter is the moon clips eclipse any benefit in that it so complicates the issue. There are certainly those for whom this is not an issue; the sales of the 9mm revolvers prove that, but . . . it just doesn't fit me. Dang. Sure wish it did.

Reactions: wmhawth

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
kilowatt3 : Quote , " Wonder, too, if some may be trying to use the wrong moon clips? " , I think you hit it right on the head ! I have a bunch of clips for the Governor and occasionally you come across a moon clip that might be slightly bent that you didn't eye ball or might be machined a little different from the rest of the clips in the pack . A quick cure for carry , or hiking through woods : Load it up with some good brand 45 long colts and you won't have to worry about the clips . I live in rural SE Ohio and we have a lot of coyotes and occasionally see some red fox . Both carry rabies and the coyotes have been known to cause a lot of problems with farmers . Not sure the year that the Ruger Redhawk 5032 came out but have always admired them but have never shot one or even handled one . That might change in the weeks and months ahead .

·
Premium Member
6,424 Posts
...I have a bunch of clips for the Governor and occasionally you come across a moon clip that might be slightly bent that you didn't eye ball or might be machined a little different from the rest of the clips in the pack...
Were the moon clips you've used sold specifically for use in the Governor? I see plenty of .45 ACP moon clips for sale, but a lot of them don't even show exactly what revolver they're intended for. I've seen some for Ruger, and some for S&W, but the S&W ones don't always indicate whether they're for the Governor, or the old M25/625, or both. I did see some that were supposed to be for either the M25 or the old S&W M1917, but they didn't say anything about the Ruger, or the Colt M1917.

Sooo, I'm still confused for now! :thinking:

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
19,658 Posts
I avoid revolvers that require moon clips. They are either too hard to load and unload or are easy to load and unload, but bend when in your pocket.

Reactions: wmhawth

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
Glock 19. Sorry, had to say it. A friend had the Red Hawk. I thought it was kind of neat.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I’ve heard the accuracy leaves a lot to be desired, but you can buy a .454 Ruger Alaskan and have the cylinder cut for moonclips.

·
Super Moderator
22,275 Posts
Revising an older thread , sorry . I have been seriously looking at the Ruger Redhawk . I have read a few comments on people having some problems with the moon clips and 45ACP on the Ruger 5032 . I own a S&W Governor and realize the 45 ACP is mainly for close up range practice and loses a lot of accuracy especially out of shorter barreled revolvers . Just concerned about the moon clips issue that has been floating around for a year or two . Never had a moon clip problem with the Governor but use it mainly as a house gun loaded with 2 Federal 410 Triple ought's , 2 Hornady 45 200 gr XTP's and 2 Hornady 45 Colt 185 gr FTX's in a holster that has this same attached to the side of it . The Ruger Redhawk and Blackhawk have a reputation for being built like tank . Just would like a little more input on using the Redhawk 4.2 in barrel at the range using a lot of 45 ACP's for practice and occasionally thrown in a few of those " expensive " 45 long colts . The opinion of most seems to be they love the Ruger Redhawk model 5032 . I will continue to research this moon clip issue and hopefully it's something that Ruger has addressed as the few articles I read were a couple years old .
Use Ruger's moon-clips, problems solved. Redhawk® .45 Auto / .45 Colt Moon Clips 3-Pack-ShopRuger

Reactions: SatCong
1 - 20 of 32 Posts