Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Revolver verses Single Stack Auto which is better? I just purchased a Ruger LCR with Crimson Trace Laser Grips, I have had S&W 642, 649 and LCR 357 Snubbies in the past.

As far as Single Stack Autos I have had XDS 45, Kahr Pm9 and a Sig P938 9mm all of which I sold for different reasons.

What I have found is the Single Stack 9s and the XDS45 where to big for most pocket carry, they each required long break in periods 200 rounds plus, they all ended up carried AIWB. That they all ended up AIWB they did not carry that much easier than my Glock 26, which has 10+1 capacity, easier to shoot, easier follow up shots, more reliable, no break in period. I fill the roll of AIWB with the G26 and sold the Single Stack Auto's.

Pocket carry goes to the LCR, which is lighter, I shoot it as we'll as the Single Stack Auto's, it is reliable, not fussy about ammo, required no break in period and is easier to conceal.

One common thing in all my carry guns is that they have no safeties to flip no levers to grip, just draw and fire, I like simple, just point and shoot.

Right now I am down to three carry guns Glock 26 AIWB, LCR pocket carry and LCP pocket carry. And yes I carry reloads for the gun I am carrying.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sounds like you have quite a background of pistols and carrying... enough that you should know the answer to your own question haha.

Revolvers are reliable 100%. Semi-Auto's aren't.

Which to carry? Preference. Can't be answered by others. Some carry both. Semi-auto primary and a revolver backup. Some carry revolvers exclusively, others just semi-autos.

I would check into a shield 9/40.

Glock 26 AIWB sounds like the setup I would prefer though.

I carry an M&P9c.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
In my book, in that size range, revolvers beat autos. More reliable, less ammo-sensitive, more power for the size, more options for good grips, better for shooting from inside a coat pocket, and better for muzzle-contact shots. Ammo capacity is a downside, which can be mitigated by speed loaders or speed strips, and the thickness of the cylinder is a downside.

·
Registered
37,165 Posts
My current carries are a G30 and a 6906, but if I had a j-frame I'd carry it too. It's really a moot question of what's "best."

Reactions: Eric357 and oneshot

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
The problem IMO arises when you define "better" what IS better to me , may not be for you... and vice versa

·
Premium Member
7,802 Posts
In my book, in that size range, revolvers beat autos. More reliable, less ammo-sensitive, more power for the size, more options for good grips, better for shooting from inside a coat pocket, and better for muzzle-contact shots. Ammo capacity is a downside, which can be mitigated by speed loaders or speed strips, and the thickness of the cylinder is a downside.
What if I carry this?

300px-Webley-Fosbery_1837.jpg

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Sounds like you have quite a background of pistols and carrying... enough that you should know the answer to your own question haha.

Revolvers are reliable 100%. Semi-Auto's aren't.

Which to carry? Preference. Can't be answered by others. Some carry both. Semi-auto primary and a revolver backup. Some carry revolvers exclusively, others just semi-autos.

I would check into a shield 9/40.

Glock 26 AIWB sounds like the setup I would prefer though.

I carry an M&P9c.
I realize what you mean, but no mechanical device is ever going to be 100% reliable.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Here's a revolver that at least doesn't give up anything in terms of capacity, compared to most semi-auto's:
revo.jpg

·
Banned
952 Posts
Revolver verses Single Stack Auto which is better? I just purchased a Ruger LCR with Crimson Trace Laser Grips, I have had S&W 642, 649 and LCR 357 Snubbies in the past.

As far as Single Stack Autos I have had XDS 45, Kahr Pm9 and a Sig P938 9mm all of which I sold for different reasons.

What I have found is the Single Stack 9s and the XDS45 where to big for most pocket carry, they each required long break in periods 200 rounds plus, they all ended up carried AIWB. That they all ended up AIWB they did not carry that much easier than my Glock 26, which has 10+1 capacity, easier to shoot, easier follow up shots, more reliable, no break in period. I fill the roll of AIWB with the G26 and sold the Single Stack Auto's.

Pocket carry goes to the LCR, which is lighter, I shoot it as we'll as the Single Stack Auto's, it is reliable, not fussy about ammo, required no break in period and is easier to conceal.

One common thing in all my carry guns is that they have no safeties to flip no levers to grip, just draw and fire, I like simple, just point and shoot.

Right now I am down to three carry guns Glock 26 AIWB, LCR pocket carry and LCP pocket carry. And yes I carry reloads for the gun I am carrying.
Whatever you like more; big differences far as mechanics, personal preference far as use.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
I hate, hate, hate reading that revolvers are 100% reliable. It is true that a quality revolver is less likely to fail to function than a comparable pistol and that when it doesn't work it can usually be corrected by simply pulling the trigger again. However, that isn't the whole story. When a revolver decides to not work things get bad quickly. Just about any problem a pistol has can be cured by removing the magazine, racking the slide, and inserting a new magazine and racking the slide again. When a revolver decides to jam up fixing it will require tools and knowledge.

All that said, the choice is yours. When I read single stack I assume 1911.. but in today's world there are other possibilities. Pocket carry is nice and easy, but it isn't as tactically sound as I like. Thus something being better for pocket carry means nothing to me. Pistols are usually thinner than revolvers, particularly single stack pistols. Thus is can be easier to carry them IWB without new pants. They are faster to reload for all of us that aren't being paid by Smith and Wesson to shoot their revolvers in competitions. However for people like me that grew up shooting revolvers, accuracy may be much better with a revolver. Some feel comforted by greater reliability of a revolver. Some are comforted by easier fixes on a pistol. It is all a decision you'll just have to make for yourself.

·
Registered
907 Posts

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I have carried both as have you. Even Mas Ayoob has carried both, I even heard Jeff Cooper carried both designs at one time or another. Personal preference is a wonderful thing.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts