Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Rock Island Armory Officers model a while back. Out of the box it had most of the options that you will find on more expensive pistols, but at a reasonable price. I paid $519.00 for the gun as is shown. The fit and finish is as good as a lot of factory 1911 pistols, and better than some. A safety check showed that everything was in working order.I had not done a "fluff & buff" on this one before taking it to the range, but because of the amount of oil in the gun I completely disassembled it for cleaning and inspection.
The range ammo I used was Winchester Ranger, and some 230gr fmj reloads of my own making. The gun fed both cartridges well with no FTF, of FTE. The picture speaks for itself, I think that the little pistol will hold a better group, once it is broken in a bit, but it was good for a 3 1/2 inch defensive pistol at 25 ft.
I really can't think of many upgrades to this pistol, it came from the factory with a solid guide rod, beavertail safety and lightweight trigger. Overall I would give it a 9 out of 10, and would gladly purchase another.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
The RIAs seem to be a lot of gun for the money. I picked up a GI .38 Super a couple of months ago and liked it well enough that yesterday I bought a GI .45 as a gift for my son.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I bought mine about 2 years ago when they had GI sights and cost around 360.00,Mine is dead accurate out to 25 yards it's a tack driver

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a RIA 38 super not long ago and even with the poor(for my old eyes) sights I have to try to miss! I was surprised at the accuracy of the pistol, and that was right out of the box after cleaning. I have 2 Kimbers in 9mm that honestly don't shoot as well.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
RIA has brought the basic build quality back to the 1911 world. Out of all the bargain 1911's out there, I'd go with a RIA. They are the only ones wiith a solid build.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
A coworker and I have been researching them...I think they have the more for the money built into their guns than any other 1911 on the market.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts