Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

going on a bike ride this weekend from florida to DC , I have a florida CCW and am a florida resident. can I legally transport gun in dc if unload and locked in saddle bag and ammo is locked in the other saddle bag? I know I can carry in all the other states I go through

Moe

·
Registered
403 Posts
My take on things, if D.C. is your intended destination then look up the D.C. laws on the matter. If D.C. is not your final destination then you may or may not find legal comfort in various Federal laws covering transportation of firearms and ammunition through restrictive states.

Were it me on a motorcycle trip with D.C. being the intended destination I would either not bring a firearm, or would have a hotel as a destination in a less restrictive state and make unarmed day trips into D.C., or I might just go someplace else for a motorcycle ride.

Have a nice trip.

Edit to add: ps, with this upcoming weekend being the 4th of July extended weekend, I would anticipate increased levels of security and scrutiny around various parts of D.C.. Just words to the wise based upon lessons learned.

Reactions: blackhawkfann24

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sort of interpreted the law the same way but was wondering if I missed something :) maybe I'll just go ride the blueridge parkway not a fan of traffic anyway

Moe

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've known quite a few people who have ridden the Blue Ridge Parkway both on motorcycles and on bicycles, and all have thoroughly enjoyed it. The only complaints were about holiday and weekend traffic, and speed zone controls. Have a good ride.

Reactions: THESHIELD

·
Registered
938 Posts
DC itself would be a no-go. Even having spent brass can get you in trouble there. VA side ok, but not the MD side.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You cannot even transport a handgun through DC - according to their local laws. You're okay in Virginia. I'd suggest you drive Skyline Drive in the western part of Virginia. You have to buy a 7 day pass, but it's an absolutely beautiful drive with nice overlooks and decent restaurants - get the blackberry ice cream pie! If you hate traffic, make sure you get off of I95 before Richmond. I95 Richmond to Fredericksburg is unbearable at times.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Just as you are routing your trip; you should be sure to route the gun laws of the states you will be traveling through as well, to include the state or district you are traveling too. Best to you and be safe.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Stay away from DC - as mentioned above, even an empty shell casing will get you arrested.

BRP is a nice ride... but tons of speed traps on Skyline Drive.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Agreed, but dang the posted speed limit on that road (35?) is painful on a motorcycle.... no matter what you ride. That said, you'll probably never see more deer on one road, so maybe it is appropriate :).
I haven't seen a lot of speed traps in the Central District of Skyline Drive [Thornton Gap to Big Meadows] - which I frequently travel. I see a lot more on 211 coming up the mountain from Sperryville.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm ok with 35 once there since most of my ride from florida to blueridge will be highway 75-85 mph anyway

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
You cannot take a firearm or ammo in DC. Only if you are just passing through without stopping on your way to another state. Same in MD. Advise you avoid DC and MD. Like the plague. In Va. It's ok.
DC use to be one of the few places in the country that didn't recognize peaceable journey laws. I'm not sure if that's changed or not. If it hasn't, even taking a weapon into DC can get you arrested.

A quote from Handgunlaw.us:

"Note: This is for transporting firearms through DC but if you are traveling and going through DC it is actually out of your way in most instances. I would not travel inside the Beltway around DC. The beltway is outside DC and is actually in the surrounding states but is a good boundary marker to keep from going into the District. If you stop in DC for any reason while transporting firearms you are no longer covered by Federal Law (Title 18 Part 1 Chapter 44 § 926A) but fall under DC law and can be arrested and your firearms Confiscated."

·
Registered
73 Posts
I haven't seen a lot of speed traps in the Central District of Skyline Drive [Thornton Gap to Big Meadows] - which I frequently travel. I see a lot more on 211 coming up the mountain from Sperryville.
I don't claim to be an expert, and this was a while ago, but I used to ride with a group that did an annual trip down to Deals Gap/NC Smokeys in May via BRP. Think I only did SLD 3x and twice the group got nailed, but we had a cop that would get us off. The group cut the SLD section off the route (going through WV instead) and rejoined the BRP soon after SLD.

·
Registered
938 Posts
DC itself would be a no-go. Even having spent brass can get you in trouble there. VA side ok, but not the MD side.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Stay away from DC - as mentioned above, even an empty shell casing will get you arrested.

BRP is a nice ride... but tons of speed traps on Skyline Drive.
Speeding on the BRP is a Federal rap, literally as the Parkway Rangers are feds, and you go to federal court. Typical speeding fine is $1,500 up. 45MPH is the top speed with 35 at virtually every intersection, or exhibit.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
A trip a lot of bikers in Richmond like to do is start with the Tail of the Dragon in Deal's Gap, NC, then pick up Blue Ridge Parkway and take it up to Waynesboro, VA. BRP is thought to be a better ride than Skyline. No charges, higher speed limits, fewer cops, fewer slow moving minivans but similar scenic vistas. You will see a lot of other bikers the whole route. Be safe, that is a challenging and potentially hazardous ride, which of course makes it fun!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Speeding on the BRP is a Federal rap, literally as the Parkway Rangers are feds, and you go to federal court. Typical speeding fine is $1,500 up. 45MPH is the top speed with 35 at virtually every intersection, or exhibit.
Never got a ticket on the BRP (we rode with a cop) but we may have gotten pulled over once or twice over the many annual trips on it, and it was a fast riding group. Not sure how Park Rangers may be cracking down lately, but a quick Google does confirm that the Rangers have full discretion to issue 4-digit tickets if they want.

However, when we used to do this annual trip, word of mouth was closer to the last paragraph of this site (although we were >+10 mph... but with a cop):

http://pirateslair.net/BRPWTips.htm

^^ That also happens to the best BRP riding tips and advice I've ever seen in one place, and even has on topic advice for the OP.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts