Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
8,501 Posts
You may thus want to consider a long gun that can go from completely unloaded (and thus legal everywhere) to being able to fire a few shots in as little time as possible. Some good candidates are double barrel shotguns, pump shotguns, and lever guns. All of these can easily have a few shots loaded in short order - much more so than a gun with a detacheable magazine. Plus, they are not "evil scary black assault weapons" - they are generally seen as hunting guns - and that can very much matter, depending where you are.
I don't have a problem with many of your posts. I don't really have a problem with your fetish for lever guns in a SD role because in many situations I think they'd work quite well.

What I do have a problem with is when you go off the deep end and type something like you did above (in bold). Espousing the notion that a lever gun is faster to load than a magazine fed rifle/carbine is arse hattery of the highest order. The idea is completely and totally backwards. The truth is that by the time you get your third round into the gun I will have inserted a 30 round mag, slammed the bolt home and be ready to rock.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
I don't have a problem with many of your posts. I don't really have a problem with your fetish for lever guns in a SD role because in many situations I think they'd work quite well.

What I do have a problem with is when you go off the deep end and type something like you did above (in bold). Espousing the notion that a lever gun is faster to load than a magazine fed rifle/carbine is arse hattery of the highest order. The idea is completely and totally backwards. The truth is that by the time you get your third round into the gun I will have inserted a 30 round mag, slammed the bolt home and be ready to rock.
You need to read my whole post before you question my sanity.

I noted that in some states, it is illegal to have a loaded rifle magazine anywhere in the vehicle - that is considered a loaded weapon. If you want to be legal in all states, and still keep a long gun in the vehicle, the best way to do it is to keep the gun *unloaded* and the ammo *separate*. Magazines must be *empty*.

This changes the equation. It is faster to load a few rounds into a lever gun, pump gun, or a double barrel...than to grab a gun, grab an empty mag, load mag (even if only a few shots), insert mag, and run the bolt. Try it...first to get 2-3 shots off wins. Doubt in real life you will need more than that, especially with a handgun as a backup.

·
8,501 Posts
You need to read my whole post before you question my sanity.

I noted that in some states, it is illegal to have a loaded rifle magazine anywhere in the vehicle - that is considered a loaded weapon. If you want to be legal in all states, and still keep a long gun in the vehicle, the best way to do it is to keep the gun *unloaded* and the ammo *separate*. Magazines must be *empty*.

This changes the equation. It is faster to load a few rounds into a lever gun, pump gun, or a double barrel...than to grab a gun, grab an empty mag, load mag (even if only a few shots), insert mag, and run the bolt. Try it...first to get 2-3 shots off wins. Doubt in real life you will need more than that, especially with a handgun as a backup.
Ah, OK I understand now. I guess I wasn't getting your meaning completely. It seemed so out in left field that I was dumbfounded.

Please accept my apology.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Ah, OK I understand now. I guess I wasn't getting your meaning completely. It seemed so out in left field that I was dumbfounded.

Please accept my apology.
Ha ha! No problem. But in the future, you might wish to ask for clarification, before accusing someone of "going off the deep end" or other "arse hattery."

:bier:

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
If I had the Money. I'd carry an FN P90 with a couple of 50 round magazines. FN-P90_2.jpg

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
My short AK variant AMD-65 rides in a tennis raquet bag when I'm out and about in the Texas wilds. VERY handy llittle carbine.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
A pistol AR/AK would be great, but are they really easy to use? Ive never shot one before. Its a cool idea, but it seems like more of a gimmick to me than anything.
Verrrrry easy. It's just called a "pistol" ecause the buffer tube has no "stock" on it, however when firing one, you just pull it in close and press the end of the buffer tube to your shoulder just as if it was a rifle or SBR, so in essence, it operates in the same manner, however unlike a "multi" lower AR or SBR, a "pistol-only" stamped lower on an AR pistol makes the gun register as a handgun instead of an SBR, meaning you do not need an NFA or tax stamp to own it, and it doesn't need to be registered as such. It's no different, legally, than having a Glock 19, or 1911. That's what makes it appealing to me. It's compact if you use a 7 or 10 inch barrel, and if you want extra punch, chamber it in .300AAC.
I hated the idea of an AR pistol at first, myself. My friend then brought his back down here from out of state when he moved locally, and I got to play with it. After that, I had to build one.

Reactions: Katana1

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
+1 on the SKS. I know there are way more exotic, better looking, higher capacity rifles around. But just personally, an old tough simple SKS with 10 rounds and few stripper clips can be a pretty mean persuader for beasties of the four or two legged variety. Mags are always going to be faster on reload but if you practice a bit those stripper clips are pretty quick too.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I keep a Smith&Wesson 15-22 in my trunk with a couple of mags along with a 5 day go bag and 3 gallon container of water and food/cooking supplies. I also would have my regular edc gun on me as a hangun. This is more for a shtf type scenario if it happened suddenly and I was not at home rather than the standard bad guy type scenario.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
I like the 30/30 lever action for a "truck" gun but another option to consider is a simple 12 ga pump that can be had for for~$250. It is very versatile, inexpensive, and can be loaded with a wide variety of ammunition. JMHO.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I carry an old 30/30 or Lee Enfield 308 sporterized in my truck. Neither rifle is all that expensive so if lost I won't cry a hole lot. My reasoning is I live in the west and spend time running around the woods so a long gun is a good option. With Coyotes running $50 a jaw and ears you never know when the opportunity to make some money will arise. I don't run around town with the rifle in the truck just throw it in when I take a trip.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well, as I said, here in my state, its completely legal to have it riding on the seat next to you fully loaded, so behind the seat, in a case, with the mag not even in the gun wouldnt be a problem.

I said an active shooter situation as a possible scenario, but who knows. It could be anything. Guy goes off the deep end, group of thugs mistake my vehicle for someone elses, etc. Better to be safe than sorry.

Ill definitely look into an AK type pistol, or maybe even an underfolder.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I can't imagine leaving a gun in my car all of the time unlocked. I have a cable-attached safe in each car that I use when I can't bring my handgun with me. Regardless of the cost of losing the gun, that's one more gun in the hands of criminals.

I've considered keeping one of those collapsing Henry survival rifles in my car just in case, but I'd need to find some way to lock it up.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Around the farm I've started carrying a Savage Model 42 O/U (.22/410). Overall length is 36 inches and BTW would make a nice youth type rifle. Good gun for the grandsons to shoot here when they visit. The stock is a bit short, and I can live with it. I think it's handy around here for whatever shows up with the wide range of ammo available for .22 and .410.

I keep it in my truck, un-obvious in a zip up bag to keep it clean, of course I wouldn't want someone to steal it, but if so it's not a high-dollar gun.

·
8,501 Posts
Well, as I said, here in my state, its completely legal to have it riding on the seat next to you fully loaded, so behind the seat, in a case, with the mag not even in the gun wouldnt be a problem.

I said an active shooter situation as a possible scenario, but who knows. It could be anything. Guy goes off the deep end, group of thugs mistake my vehicle for someone elses, etc. Better to be safe than sorry.

Ill definitely look into an AK type pistol, or maybe even an underfolder.
One of the folding kel tecs might be a good truck gun. They hold two mags in the stock and then fold up and could be stored easily.

Kel-Tec SU-16A Sub-16 .223 18½" Carbine Black $470.00 SHIPS FREE

I don't know anything about these guns and the reviews on bud's aren't great BUT that's just reviews and should be taken with a grain of salt. The concept is sound. Maybe you could look into it and see if they are any good.

·
Super Moderator
50,574 Posts
We only travel north to see the grandkids in IN (from FL). I've only traveled with several pistols, but have thought about taking my coach gun...haven't done that yet. My son has any long guns we would need up in IN.

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
With the state of affairs that this country is currently embroiled in, I think anyone would be crazy NOT to have some sort of rifle in the vehicle.

Society can come apart in minutes and at some point in the future it would not be unrealistic to have to fight ones way home. Easy to handle, quick to load, accurate and effective are the keys words here.

Lever actions are better than nothing, but there is a reason that we went to magazine fed rifles.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I like the 30/30 lever action for a "truck" gun but another option to consider is a simple 12 ga pump that can be had for for~$250. It is very versatile, inexpensive, and can be loaded with a wide variety of ammunition. JMHO.
At least around here, I can walk into pretty much any place that sells used guns and find a lever action .30-30 for less than $300, be it a Marlin 336 or a Winchester 94.

I think the lever action .30-30 and SKS get the nod as far as my thinking in using a trunk gun defensively.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
I like a 12 ga but the wife also has to be able use it and though she can shoot one well enough it does rock her world for her with heavy 00 loads or slugs.

The SKS she loves to shoot, is accurate with it and it doesnt rip her head off to shoot it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
With the state of affairs that this country is currently embroiled in, I think anyone would be crazy NOT to have some sort of rifle in the vehicle.

Society can come apart in minutes and at some point in the future it would not be unrealistic to have to fight ones way home. Easy to handle, quick to load, accurate and effective are the keys words here.

Lever actions are better than nothing, but there is a reason that we went to magazine fed rifles.
Couldn't agree more and it wasn't always the case for me. I spent decades just carrying the sidearm of choice and a spare mag. These days, I have had a couple of 'car-guns' but I just finished the build of an AR-platform pistol and it is riding along more often than not. It's the 71/2 inch barrel version and I have the MagPul grip and ATI magwell grip for stability. I also bought one of the SIG-TAC wrist supports which would work really well as a pad, should I choose to should the weapon. Of course....it's a pistol.....so why would I do that? ;-)

I also carry the letter from SIG stating that it is a legal device for pistols and is purposed for such. It makes a superb car gun and I bought a lockable hard case that was originally made for four guitar effect pedals, so it doesn't look 'tactical' at all.

Reactions: Katana1
21 - 40 of 72 Posts