Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I was taught in SERE was to rig my uniforms for escape. Things like replacing boot laces w/550 cord, sewing razor blades into pockets, replacing dog-tag chains w/10lb leader line, etc.

This is all pretty easy to do on uniforms, since I don't have that many of them, but what about civilian clothing? Has anyone tried this on theirs? Ideas for the most practical/useful methods?

Clearly these measures are intended for resistance/escape scenarios, not immediate defense.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I guess the most practical thing is simply concealing about your person various items for daily or emergency use.

I don't necessarily like to have everyone knowing ALL the tricks up my sleeve, so I've been known to stash knives, tactical flashlights, magazines, etc, in all sorts of places.

Given the "conventional wisdom" that decries the placement of a bootknife in an actual boot, no one expects it there.

I had a ladyfriend who would remove the pocket material from her skirt pockets to allow access to the knife strapped to her thigh.

I love things that can be hidden along forearms and in armpits. A little extra stitching and a good piece of denim in an advantageous spot can give you a knife or magazine at either end of either sleeve.

Mostly it comes from what I call "Practical Laziness". Think about what would require the least movement and effort to get a useful object into your hands, and go from there.

Big Hint: Your sleeves are right next to your hands, why someone doesn't design a holster for Mouseguns that is right there is beyond me...

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
I guess the most practical thing is simply concealing about your person various items for daily or emergency use.

I don't necessarily like to have everyone knowing ALL the tricks up my sleeve, so I've been known to stash knives, tactical flashlights, magazines, etc, in all sorts of places.

Given the "conventional wisdom" that decries the placement of a bootknife in an actual boot, no one expects it there.

I had a ladyfriend who would remove the pocket material from her skirt pockets to allow access to the knife strapped to her thigh.

I love things that can be hidden along forearms and in armpits. A little extra stitching and a good piece of denim in an advantageous spot can give you a knife or magazine at either end of either sleeve.

Mostly it comes from what I call "Practical Laziness". Think about what would require the least movement and effort to get a useful object into your hands, and go from there.

Big Hint: Your sleeves are right next to your hands, why someone doesn't design a holster for Mouseguns that is right there is beyond me...
Similar to an ankle holster? I've wondered about that, too!:blink::yup:

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
You would think you could use one of those wrist bands with the space for an Ipod to model it after...

·
Registered
806 Posts
So...

Anyone want to come up with something?

I have ideas, but no mousegun...

PM if so.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
probably liability reasons. Something to do with where the muzzle can/would point. most holsters make it point down and horizontal sholder rigs make it point behind you. A wrist rig would make it point toward your arm

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I like the arm rig that James West had in Wild Wild West TV series, and Travis made in Taxi Driver.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Like the little one shot guns that can hang around your neck?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I've done that from time to time, I actually had a belt that stored all kinds of stuff. The oddest thing that actually came in handy was a large sewing needle slid into the stitching of a fifth pocket. I also had a small knife that I hid in the laces of my shoe. Also you can use tape to affix a razor blade under your collar, although a razor blade taped to the back of your belt might work best.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Would the gun be pointed at your arm, or pointed at everything you point at?

A firearm up my sleeve would be positioned in such a way to have it simply "drop" into my hand.

If I can design it...

·
Registered
806 Posts
550 cord is infinitely handy (google it to see), and your dogtag chain makes noise. 10lb line is a good alternative.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Would the gun be pointed at your arm, or pointed at everything you point at?

A firearm up my sleeve would be positioned in such a way to have it simply "drop" into my hand.

If I can design it...
Could be interesting,can I have somea dose breath mints and while pointing your gun flies into your outstretched hand in the store

·
Registered
806 Posts
Therein lies the rub...

A wonderful book by Harry Harrison called "Deathworld" described a system that detected the exact tendon placement of someone making the "gun grip" and would oblige the user accordingly.

Science Fiction, yes, but the technology is not far away. Someone just has to design it.

The Western Expansion saw many attempts (some better than others) at the same concept. The device I saw in Virginia City, NV could be rigged to "shoot" a Derringer or a card into one's hand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts