Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think most righties when they aim their handgun, close the left eye and aim with the right eye. For whatever reason, when I shoot with my right hand, my LEFT eye is the one that I aim with and my right eye closes. Without manually holding my right eye open :)rolleyes:), I cannot aim with my right eye.

Does anyone else shoot like this and does it cause you any issues?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a nephew that is that way he just turns his head to the right a little and uses his left eye, he shoots better than me, no problems that I can see.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I'm the same way when I sight a target. I'm right handed & left eye dominant. I discovered this shortly after I acquired my CCW permit. I automatically get sight picture with my left eye. I don't close my right eye either!

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Well I'll be darned! "Cross eyed dominant"! I thought that I was the only odd ball out there on the range. I'm right handed and when I really wanted to hit the target I'd shoot left handed. My friends asked why I don't shoot left handed all the time and I'd tell them that it was more comfortable to shoot right handed but I was much more accurate shooting left handed. Now I feel like a normal person again!

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Point shooting will eliminate your concern...no sights needed...get into a course!:yup:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Point shooting will eliminate your concern...no sights needed...get into a course!:yup:

Thats what I was thinking? why is this even an issue. Shoot with booth eyes open.

USPSA is great practice for this. :hand10:

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I am also cross eye dominant. Point shooting is a big help for the most CC'er shooting (0-10 yds.) When using the sights if you use a half hommie it will help line the sight up with your left eye. But learn to keep both eyes open, the dominant eye will pick up the sights but you can still see what is going on around you with the non-dominant eye. It will help to pick up the other BG standing off to the side just waiting his turn.

For learning Point Shooting I would recommend http://fightfocusedconcepts.com/home In just a short time Roger had me doing things with a gun I did not think was possible.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have been shooting that way for 50+ years. For fast defensive shooting, use both eyes and get training.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I suffer from the affliction. I just have auot muscle memory and turn my left eye towards the sights. Dont even think about it. Both eyes open.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Another Cross-Eye Dominant here. For aimed handgun shooting, I close my right eye and viola! big improvement. For long guns, I have actually switched over to left handed shooting (except when I forget and years of muscle memory take over). It has made a considerable improvement.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Righty...Left eye dominant here.........I have no problems.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Right handed, left eye dominant here. Learned to shoot long guns and bows lefty when I was about 7 and am good enough to qualify "expert" (for what that's worth) with an M-16A2 for the USAF. I shoot a handgun right handed and left eyed though. It has never given me any problems. I leave both eyes open as well. I don't feel as comfortable or steady with the handgun in my left hand and it feels strrange to wear my holster on my left hip.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Bring the Pistol to your eye not your eye to the Pistol. For Long Guns use the eye on your natural shooting side. We used to call point shooting the "Spray and Pray" Method.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
what is the difference between point shooting and instinctive shooting? I have heard both terms used when talking about defensive situation.

I am also left eye dominant and right handed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts