Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today in NC, the senate will vote on a bill to allow concealed carry in movie theatres and restaurants serving alcohol among other things. The house passed the bill easily something like 78 to 35. If the senate passes this bill, does it go into effect right away or will it take months or weeks?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Today in NC, the senate will vote on a bill to allow concealed carry in movie theatres and restaurants serving alcohol among other things. The house passed the bill easily something like 78 to 35. If the senate passes this bill, does it go into effect right away or will it take months or weeks?
The Senate has modified the bill that was approved by the House. Therefore, once the Senate approves, it will need to go back to the House to have them vote on the "new" version. Once that's done, then it would go to the Governor for signature. There would be a decided on date that it would go into effect, for instance October 1, 2013 (I just made that date up)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome answer, thank you! Hope it ain't gonna take that long though.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The Senate has modified the bill that was approved by the House. Therefore, once the Senate approves, it will need to go back to the House to have them vote on the "new" version. Once that's done, then it would go to the Governor for signature. There would be a decided on date that it would go into effect, for instance October 1, 2013 (I just made that date up)
Let us hope this does not become a (senate/house modified) ping pong ball bill......and that an agreed upon language can be adopted by the house upon it's return after today's vote.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
wow, you can't carry in a theater by law in NC? that's lame. :(

SC has to wait till January for their vote on S308 Restaurant Carry.. clock ran out on ours, and this is a two-year session in SC.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
wow, you can't carry in a theater by law in NC? that's lame.
Yup, this bill including senate modifications attempt to eliminate a lot of Jim Crow provisions. For example the senate removes the pistol purchase permit which says, "applicant known by sheriff to be of good character". Read good character as proper color. It is being argued that this would be unsafe and allow criminals to buy guns (I say bs) but this is the sort of thing that is up for debate.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Here is a link to the bill, just scanning through the changes it appears the only changes are to clarify different provisions.

http://www.ncleg.net/Applications/B...nt.aspx?SessionCode=2013&DocNum=5898&SeqNum=0
Can you imagine having to wade through all that, check it, understand it, discuss it, debate it, vote on it... Oh wait, politicians skip the first couple of steps and just start debating. :wink:

But seriously... what a tedious task with all the bills flying around all the time. It's a wonder anything actually gets from point A to point Z with all the possible detours.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Awesome answer, thank you! Hope it ain't gonna take that long though.
I can just about assure you it won't be a quick implementation date... Oct 1 or Jan 1 are likely possibilities.

And then you can expect to see a bunch of gun buster signs being put up at a lot of restaurants and movie theaters.

·
Super Moderator
17,103 Posts
I can just about assure you it won't be a quick implementation date... Oct 1 or Jan 1 are likely possibilities.

And then you can expect to see a bunch of gun buster signs being put up at a lot of restaurants and movie theaters.
That did happen back when we first got concealed carry but most came down a short time later.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Recently, Utah OUTLAWED cc'ing in a movie theater. In order to "ensure" that another Aurora doesn't happen. Normally in Utah as in other states, you can ignore most "no gun" signs and leave only if you're asked to. But this is a state law and enforceable, not a simple "no guns" sign kind of thing. Makes ZERO sense to me.

·
Registered
37,117 Posts
Currently in NC you can't carry into any place that charges admission. Never understood the reasoning behind that, even as I grew up in NC.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Currently in NC you can't carry into any place that charges admission. Never understood the reasoning behind that, even as I grew up in NC.
I think it was their attempt to avoid having to list out sporting events, concerts, etc, etc. individually. But that's just a wild guess and it ended up encompassing everything they intended, plus some.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yup, this bill including senate modifications attempt to eliminate a lot of Jim Crow provisions. For example the senate removes the pistol purchase permit which says, "applicant known by sheriff to be of good character". Read good character as proper color. It is being argued that this would be unsafe and allow criminals to buy guns (I say bs) but this is the sort of thing that is up for debate.
So, that means you need a sheriff's permission to get a permit buy a gun? Man, I'm glad I live in TX.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
So, that means you need a sheriff's permission to get a permit buy a gun? Man, I'm glad I live in TX.
Yes, handgun at least. I have a coworker who ran into this. The pistol purchase permit ($5) has the good character clause and he was told that unless a deputy will vouch for you, the sheriff won't approve it. The loop hole is the good character clause. The concealed carry permit ($100 + $100 class) doesn't have any such provision as it is shall issue.

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Recently, Utah OUTLAWED cc'ing in a movie theater. In order to "ensure" that another Aurora doesn't happen. Normally in Utah as in other states, you can ignore most "no gun" signs and leave only if you're asked to. But this is a state law and enforceable, not a simple "no guns" sign kind of thing. Makes ZERO sense to me.
That's just plain stupid. The guy who shot up the Aurora theater purposely passed up three other theaters until he found one where guns were prohibited and therefore some helpless victims for his rampage. Prohibiting law-abiding citizens, especially those who have passed the background check to get a permit, is a cavalier disregard for the safety of your patrons. If I had a relative who had been shot in the Aurora theater, I'd be inclined to sue them for endangering their customers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 20 of 29 Posts