Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one of these for the wife- CONVERSION CYLINDER FOR CAP AND BALL NAA REVOLVER : Black Powder Pistols & Muzzleloader Pistols at GunBroker.com and the revolver at lgoutdoors. completely legal. The beauty is that if you get in a position where the man will want to see what you have --if you slip the cylinder out it becomes a non-firearm again as the rules dictate- no firearms violation. and the super companion is all stainless steel--no oiling- no rust ever.
with CCI Mini Mag hollow points it is a formidable force to repel attackers.

just sharing a nice product folks!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I got interested until, $239 for the revolver +$150 for the cylinder. $390. For a .22 cal mini revolver. Meh.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Why bother ? Just get a real going to be done with it . Trying to pull the wool over somebody's eyes especially Law enforcement is just going to get you in trouble. As far as I'm concerned The money or the effort . If you buy one because you like it that's a different story. Can't speak for now with 30 years ago cap and ball revolvers weren't considered weapons in New York State and you could own one without a permit. Problem is you can't legally shoot it . When I bought my Ruger old army 44 cap and ball. I put it on my permit I bought it to shoot it not deceive someone .

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
For me a NAA Mini anything would be the last possible choice as a defensive handgun . There are a number of better lower cost choices out there for or personal defense from 380 on up that can be bought for less than your combined price in proper defensive cartridges even a couple for the 239 price and don't forget used .

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
For me a NAA Mini anything would be the last possible choice as a defensive handgun . There are a number of better lower cost choices out there for or personal defense from 380 on up that can be bought for less than your combined price in proper defensive cartridges even a couple for the 239 price and don't forget used .
^^^Agreed!^^^

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I guess I could build a percussion (cap & ball) black-powder cane gun and carry it for personal defense. Yet, just because I can, doesn't mean it's...WORTH IT! :blink:

But it's your call & I wouldn't presume to say if it's prudent or foolish.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
The scenario as presented comes off as a way for someone to acquire a questionably adequate defensive handgun that may not legally be allowed. If so, that's a big forum no-no in and of itself. What these kits really are to me are a way for people who just enjoy shooting an old style SAO revolver with easier to load, more accurate modern ammo. They aren't meant for much more than range use IMO, and probably wouldn't be safe with higher powered defensive loads.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The scenario as presented comes off as a way for someone to acquire a questionably adequate defensive handgun that may not legally be allowed. If so, that's a big forum no-no in and of itself. What these kits really are to me are a way for people who just enjoy shooting an old style SAO revolver with easier to load, more accurate modern ammo. They aren't meant for much more than range use IMO, and probably wouldn't be safe with higher powered defensive loads.
Agreed.

If I wanted cheap,SAO revolver fun I'd buy a Heritage Rough Rider 22LR/22mag for $200 and plink away.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
I got one of these for the wife- CONVERSION CYLINDER FOR CAP AND BALL NAA REVOLVER : Black Powder Pistols & Muzzleloader Pistols at GunBroker.com and the revolver at lgoutdoors. completely legal. The beauty is that if you get in a position where the man will want to see what you have --if you slip the cylinder out it becomes a non-firearm again as the rules dictate- no firearms violation. and the super companion is all stainless steel--no oiling- no rust ever.

just sharing a nice product folks!
By doing so, you're treading on a VERY slippery slope. Carrying it without a permit could get you locked up and charged with a concealed weapons violation.

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Until you get a prosecutor who believes that by installing a conversion cylinder you have manufactured a firearm. Whether he is right or not is another question.

The beauty is that if you get in a position where the man will want to see what you have --if you slip the cylinder out it becomes a non-firearm again as the rules dictate- no firearms violation.
Unless you happen to be have the conversion cylinder installed, in which case it is functionally a firearm even if there is supposed to be a legal twilight zone where the device for shooting projectiles that uses metallic cartridges with gunpowder and primers is "not a firearm".

and the super companion is all stainless steel--no oiling- no rust ever.
Send me that cylinder and I'll have rust on it inside 48 hours. Stainless is less likely to rust....but anyone who believes that Stainless can't rust hasn't lived in Houston.

Only if you compare it with using a rock as your defensive tool. Limited round count, reloading is a major challenge, difficult to manipulate in a defensive situation, inadequate penetration, no expansion, rimfire reliability.

If you want a defensive firearm, my suggestion is to buy a defensive firearm. A S&W SD9VE is less than $400 brand new, and has a larger advantage over this "mini-revolver" than the "mini-revolver" has over a rock. If you are really strapped for cash, you can get a brand new hi-point for $200 and that is still a smarter choice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts