Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a little 380 for summer carry. I've only shot the LCP. Which would you pick and why? I know all about Remington's issues with the R51. I'm curious about the RM380 though. Does anyone have one? What are your thoughts?
Also, if you have one of these, how do you carry it / what holster? I have an Alien Gear IWB for my other carry gun but I figured this might require something different.
Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
None of the Above. Check out a Kahr CW380 before you buy.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Two TCP's in the family . Both are C series and a few years behind them and have been very reliable with great trigger pulls . If a little more control is wanted look at the kahr but the CT380 . Still small and thin but a better pistol with a little more of everything .

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have carried a TCP for a couple years now in a Galco IWB holster or in a smartcarry when I needed deep concealment. Much, much, much better trigger than the Ruger. Never shot the kahr, so can't comment. But I do love the little Taurus.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never looked into Kahr. I'll have to do some research. Why do you suggest it over the others?

·
Registered
475 Posts

I picked up a RM380 a few weeks ago. I have 200 rounds through it so far, 150 cheap steel cased FMJ rounds and 50 Remington JHP. So far I haven't had any problems.

I stayed away from small .380's in the past because they have always been difficult for me to shoot. Then one day a couple weeks back I decided I needed one "just because."

I went with the RM 380. I wanted a steel frame .380 that was hammer fired and the Remington seemed like a good choice. It took me a box of ammo and a bunch of dry firing to get used to the trigger, but every trip to the range the groups get tighter.

The trigger pull on my handgun is very smooth rite from the start, it is also very long. I am currently carrying in a pocket using an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Have not looked to see what else is out there.

Just edited to add that the few times I've had the RM 380 at the range it was over 80 degrees out. As you can see in the pic, my hand is quite large in comparison with the pistol. That combined with sweat made the handgun "squirmy" in my hand both when shooting with one hand or both. I'm going to try either skate board tape or a hunk of bike inner tube, but have not done so yet.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
For the money I would go with the LCP. I picked up a Custom recently for $219.99 plus tax. It has a good trigger out of the box but I replaced the factory recoil spring with a 13# Wolff and installed the Ft. Wayne Tactical 3 spring set. This brought the trigger pull to a smooth 4.5 lbs. It has been totally reliable from day one with about 400 rounds of different stuff so far. Lightweight and easy to carry in a Blackhawk #1 pocket holster.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Of the three you mentioned I would get the LCP. If your open to others then I recommend the Kahr CW380. I chose the Kahr as it was the closest (function wise) to my other larger pistols. It has sights than can be changed out; it locks back after the last round; and the take down is very similar to my other guns. The Kahr also has a very nice trigger. In fact the trigger is one of the main things Kahr is known for. It is a rather long double action pull but it is extremely smooth, pretty light, and very crisp.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
LCP. Remington, Kel Tec, and Taurus have had too many QC issues.

Reactions: Old Man

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
LCP Custom

Reactions: Instymp and Old Man

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
People are going to suggest what they currently own. With that said, I'll go out on s limb and say that if they owned all three, they'd choose the RM380. I own a TCP that I chose over the LCP. The LCP has the worse trigger of the three. The LCP also does NOT have last round hold open, and it only comes with one mag. Factory mags add about $25 cost plus the cost of a pinky extension if you want one.

The RM380 is damn near the same size and weight as the others despite having an aluminum frame AND a stainless slide. It comes with 2 mags (one with an pinky extension and one without). Also has ambidextrous mag release, undercut trigger guard, removable grips. The build quality just feels better than the LCP and the TCP IMHO.

I owned a Sig P238, TCP, and I have my RM380 on my side as I type this. Sold the Sig to fund another purchase, and I've long sense have stopped carrying the Taurus.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I really like my Glock 42. Have shot the LCP, not a fan. Hard to control for sure. Had a Kahr CW380, good trigger, concealed well, ok control. But was a little finicky with ammo. The G42 is been great

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
LCP Custom
Yeah, the LCP Custom would be my choice if I didn't already have a gen 2 LCP.

Now, concerning yooper71's comment,
I stayed away from small .380's in the past because they have always been difficult for me to shoot.
That would be an accurate assessment. These little guns are hard to shoot well but it's quite possible to make them shoot well enough and that's good enough for me, within conversational social distances anyway. :image035:

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I really like my Glock 42. Have shot the LCP, not a fan. Hard to control for sure. Had a Kahr CW380, good trigger, concealed well, ok control. But was a little finicky with ammo. The G42 is been great
My experience was the same as yours. The only thing I didn't like about the 42 was price and size.

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
I've never looked into Kahr. I'll have to do some research. Why do you suggest it over the others?
IMO,much better trigger, less perceived recoil, and points better. I wasn't even considering Kahr until I shot one.
What Roland said :yup:

I'll add that the overall fit 'n' finish of the Kahr is in a class above any of the competition. I have a P3AT and 1/2 dozen other .380's, and have handled the LCP and TCP. No experience with the RM380. You will see a lot of Internet moaning about Kahr's reliability, but my experience has been that they're fine pistols if they're properly broken in and maintained. Not to say, though, that Kahr has never let a lemon slip through the Shipping Department.

The CW380 is a tad bigger than the P3AT, LCP, or TCP, but just a tad. I have big hands, and I find the difference to be just enough to make a Kahr a whole lot easier and more pleasant to shoot. I can shoot a box or two through it in a sitting with no problem. Most folks would not choose to do that with any of the other micro-380's. It doesn't like steel-cased ammo, but any good brass stuff is fine; FMJ or JHP. It's also far and away the most accurate micro I know of, at least in my hands.

If you get a chance to shoot one, you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What Roland said :yup:

I'll add that the overall fit 'n' finish of the Kahr is in a class above any of the competition. I have a P3AT and 1/2 dozen other .380's, and have handled the LCP and TCP. No experience with the RM380. You will see a lot of Internet moaning about Kahr's reliability, but my experience has been that they're fine pistols if they're properly broken in and maintained. Not to say, though, that Kahr has never let a lemon slip through the Shipping Department.

The CW380 is a tad bigger than the P3AT, LCP, or TCP, but just a tad. I have big hands, and I find the difference to be just enough to make a Kahr a whole lot easier and more pleasant to shoot. I can shoot a box or two through it in a sitting with no problem. Most folks would not choose to do that with any of the other micro-380's. It doesn't like steel-cased ammo, but any good brass stuff is fine; FMJ or JHP. It's also far and away the most accurate micro I know of, at least in my hands.

If you get a chance to shoot one, you'll see what I mean.
They are harder to rack and very sensitive to limp wristing, so that should be taken into consideration. I choose the CT380 for more grip and better control. It disappears with an AIWB.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts