Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an older person I found my eyesight lessoning. I was introduced by a Detective buddy to a handgun with a reflex sight. WOW. With a bit of concentrated training finding the red sight becomes instant.
Right now I have a Glock 17 with RMR on my hip in a De Santis Speed Scabbard. Believe me this is a working combination.

·
Premium Member
33,809 Posts
As an older person I found my eyesight lessoning. I was introduced by a Detective buddy to a handgun with a reflex sight. WOW. With a bit of concentrated training finding the red sight becomes instant.
Right now I have a Glock 17 with RMR on my hip in a De Santis Speed Scabbard. Believe me this is a working combination.
Which sight do you have?

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
Getting ready to by a G19 MOS with a Trijicon RMR and suppressor sights in the near future.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I never gave it much thought until recently. Starting to think there's a Glock 40 MOS in my future though. I don't like the idea of having to pull the RMR to change the battery. I know if stored in low/no light the battery will last for years but I still don't like the idea of having to sight it in every time I replace the battery. Might go with a Vortex.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a friend who uses one on his cc ,miami beach police jumped him in a restroom beat him up the sight was showing through his shirt big stink, waiting for aclu and law shield bet the city looses BIG money 5 payouts 50million range last 6 years city needs to fire all the police they have and contract county

·
Premium Member
33,809 Posts
I never gave it much thought until recently. Starting to think there's a Glock 40 MOS in my future though. I don't like the idea of having to pull the RMR to change the battery. I know if stored in low/no light the battery will last for years but I still don't like the idea of having to sight it in every time I replace the battery. Might go with a Vortex.
The Trijicon battery-powered sights power down to a lower intensity in the dark, but don't shut down entirely. That said, the one on my Glock 21 has been on and working just fine since the past April.
The Leupold DeltaPoint on my 17 is several years old, and while it does power off after not moving for five minutes, requires a new battery after four or five months of use.
Battery changes aren't a big deal, and don't require much in the way of re-zeroing.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
G17 XS Big Dot(a).jpg
My soon to be 67 year old eyes (Wear Bifocal) really like the XS Big Dot Sights for my SD firearms. I would love an RMR but costs are prohibitive for me/
An alternative I am considering is the Meprolight (Mako Group) FT Bullseye Sights

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
I am finding there is a bit of a learning curve using myG19 MOS and RMR in bringing the pistol up and acquiring the dot, which is aligned with my tall suppressor sights, quickly. It's not an automatic thing for me. The geometry is a bit different and for now, I am actually a bit slower than getting on target with my G19 equipped with ordinary iron sights.

·
Registered
606 Posts
This is one of the current issues with red dots on defensive handguns. None are perfect. The rmr is the best option for duty use. But it has a small window and has had flickering issues. Most of the others we can't trust our lives to. The dp has so much potential but a short battery life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I am finding there is a bit of a learning curve using myG19 MOS and RMR in bringing the pistol up and acquiring the dot, which is aligned with my tall suppressor sights, quickly. It's not an automatic thing for me. The geometry is a bit different and for now, I am actually a bit slower than getting on target with my G19 equipped with ordinary iron sights.
Just shot a steel match this morning with the S+W Victory 22lr with DP2 on it. Start from low ready, muzzle on table. One string had 8 plates at 12 yrds and I was able to muster a few 3.5 seconds from buzzer for 8 plates on that relay. I'm still a tad slower on the first shot, but subsequent shots are fast.

You'll get there.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
Just shot a steel match this morning with the S+W Victory 22lr with DP2 on it. Start from low ready, muzzle on table. One string had 8 plates at 12 yrds and I was able to muster a few 3.5 seconds from buzzer for 8 plates on that relay. I'm still a tad slower on the first shot, but subsequent shots are fast.
You'll get there.
Thank you!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I took a fundamental handgun class with Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics and probably 40% of the people in the class were running them on their edc guns, including Aaron. Once I get were I would like to be with open sites, I will start saving for one myself.

·
Premium Member
33,809 Posts

You'll get there.
The dot pick up for the first shot is different than what you are used to with the front sight post.

Reactions: G26Raven and AzQkr

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
View attachment 186314
My soon to be 67 year old eyes (Wear Bifocal) really like the XS Big Dot Sights for my SD firearms. I would love an RMR but costs are prohibitive for me/
An alternative I am considering is the Meprolight (Mako Group) FT Bullseye Sights
Thanks for the link! I will be watching for when they make them for a Sig P226. I'm willing to be a Guinea pig based on the video I saw one their site. I'll keep my old sights JIC. I've wanted to try RMR's but my resources are limited, especially since all my slides would have to be milled + the cost of the RMR is mega bucks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Consider a Burris FF3. You can get it at a fraction of the cost of an RMR and it has a lifetime warranty. I have one atop my G40 MOS and it works great.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Into my seventh decade my vision is what it is. Thus I've learned to work with what I got as opposed to what I wish I had. The optic red dot sights while innovative are not an attractive option for me. While others view it (no pun intended) differently.

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
My core with Burris fast fire 3 works well and auto adjusts to lighting changes. Once the install practice using it I am nearly as fast as open sights up close and quicker and more accurate past 10 yards.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I am a couple of months into my first RMR pistol, a Sig p320 RX with the factory installed Romeo 1 red dot. I shoot more accurately with it at distance and it is very easy for my 62 year old eyes to see. Part of it is just that the full sized p320 is an easy to shoot gun with a 4.7 inch barrel and excellent Sig night sights. Part of it is that beyond 5 yards, the dot makes for very precise shooting in situations where it is difficult to see both the front sight and the target due to age related limitations in depth of field. Focusing solely on the target with the dot just being there is easier for older eyes. An added benefit is improved situational awareness because you are focused where the threat is, not at the end of your barrel. At $750 from Cabelas, it was the cheapest entry point into an SD capable platform

1 - 20 of 24 Posts