Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Old eyes so hard to see the irons these days. Would love to hear views of which direction you would go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
36,959 Posts
The laser turns your gun into a point shooter. If it is an either-or choice, I definitely prefer the RMR.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I have seen the red dots advertised for pistols lately. Just watched the you tube video of how they mount one. Looks like that would work on a bigger pistol like a Glock that has enough metal on the back of the slide.

·
Premium Member
36,959 Posts
I have seen the red dots advertised for pistols lately but I thought that you had to fasten them to a rail? Do you get the pistol drilled for a rail? I can acquire the target faster with a red dot than I can with a laser and I can shoot the carbine that I have the red dot mounted on a lot steadier than I can the pocket pistol. Problem is that I can't carry the carbine concealed.
Glock and Smith and Wesson are both making RMR-compatible guns now.

Bowie Tactical Concepts has been building custom set-ups since the mid-'90's.

Bowie Tactical Concepts Home Page

I own and carry two Bowie guns. Here is my edc Glock 21:

Attachments

·
Registered
871 Posts
Have an RMR mounted on a SW M&P CORE. I like it.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Red dots are better at longer range, but that's not an issue at home defense distances.

Red dots require you to bring the gun up to eye level, while lasers can be used from unconventional positions, like shooting around a barricade. This is very possible in a home defense situation.

A laser will not interfere with your iron sights, assuming your vision can still make some use of them. A red dot has the potential of blocking your iron sights if the lens gets broken or obscured.

Lasers have been known to cause criminals to back off. Red dots have never been documented as having that psychological impact, to my knowledge.

If it's either/or my vote would be for the laser. Crimson Trace offers substantial discounts to instructors, FYI.

My father wears bifocals, and can't focus on the front sight of a handgun. When he shot one of my laser equipped pistols, he remarked that it was like cheating.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Springfield Armory also makes an optic ready model.

I don't think either would help you see your target at night. Maybe a WML/laser combo?

I wonder if the beam of a WML would wash out the red dot in dark environment...?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have already put CT lasers on 3 of my handguns, and the fourth is ordered and on the way. I absolutely love them. Two others, HD bedside weapons, will eventually have streamlite TLR-4s, with light and laser. I have a red dot sight on my Daniel Defense carbine that works well for me, but I think that for me anyway, lasers work better on the handgun. Similar to @10thmtn's father, I cannot see the front sight very well (cataract surgery gave me great distance vision and 12" reading vision, but at arms length-like the front sight on a handgun, or the GPS in the car-I can't see much). The laser really puts the bullet where I want it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use a laser on my HD gun, an SP2022 in .40s&w. Most of my CC guns have a laser. For me a laser is the ticket since I have trouble focusing on the front site with my vision.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I would take the laser over the red dot. If you ever find yourself in a life or death situation, you might find that your eyes will only focus on the threat rather than a sighting system. Also, a red (or green) dot dancing around on someone's chest will really make them think twice about what they are doing.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
I would prefer to have a red dot and a light/laser combo myself. You can see the red dot before and during light activation. A light/laser will give away your position once on.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I would prefer to have a red dot and a light/laser combo myself. You can see the red dot before and during light activation. A light/laser will give away your position once on.
A laser will not give away your position unless there is smoke or dust in the air. Of course, if the threat is looking right at you, they will see the laser diode light up on your weapon...but if they are looking right at you, chances are they already see you. It's not like the movies - you don't see the beam going from the laser to the target.

A white light, of course, is another matter.

Reactions: MAJOkie

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Across the living room, definitely laser.

Red dot gives you speed, but only if you can bring it up to eye level. Laser gives you about the same speed, but you can fire the gun from any position. In a tight space laser is better.

As always, when in doubt, get both :duh:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have old eyes as well and can assure you that the CT Laser makes a world of difference for close range self defense. I have them on two S&W revolvers and find them an excellent option for us older folks needing a little something extra to help with our eyesight issues. I still practice with the laser off as a way to stay proficient with regular sights. But........I have found the CT Laser worth every penny at my age.

Old eyes so hard to see the irons these days. Would love to hear views of which direction you would go.

·
Registered
871 Posts
What about laser and RMR?

·
Registered
124 Posts
For home defense, either will work but give the advantage to a laser for 2 reasons. It can be used effectively without ever raising the gun to eye level, and if you CC that same weapon, holsters and/or pockets will accept a CT laser gripped weapon much more easily.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
As you have read, there are pluses and minuses to both. If I had to decide, the edge for me would go with the laser.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
As you have read, there are pluses and minuses to both. If I had to decide, the edge for me would go with the laser.
And I'm at the opposite opinion. I just give the RMR the big +1

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm an old guy with trifocals.
A laser works best for me on my carry gun because it doesn't increase the size and weight much, it allows for shooting the gun from almost any position, and doesn't require focusing on the sight(s).
For a nightstand gun, if I could afford it I'd use both the RMR and laser. If I couldn't afford both I'd stick with the laser only.

Bobo

1 - 20 of 24 Posts