Defensive Carry banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alcon, as I mentioned in another thread I attended a Pincus class yesterday in Wamego, KS. There were 13 students in attendance, normal mix. There were 5 of us from my office (all retired Army officers, current Army civilians) that have trained together previously. Interesting is that this was one class that was scheduled, but based on selling out and demand he added 2 more at the same range this week.

BLUF: Thoroughly enjoyed it and learned quite a bit. This was a little over 9 hrs of instruction & shooting.

Topics covered:

Sighted and Unsighted Fire. More importantly, when both are appropriate. Bob stressed it’s the individuals assessment of their capabilities based on time/distance and target that dictate. He did mention multiple times that when in doubt, use sights. (please don’t turn this into the normal us vs them thing)

Assessing: Not just going into shoot mode (I have major training scars in this regard)

High Ready: Not a fan of low ready, gave probably the best rationale for not liking/teaching this ready position I've heard.

Reloads: Emergency using overhand slide, not looking at gun, while moving.

“Combat Accuracy”: the concept of good enough hits combined with speed. Students were encouraged to use the entire target and to speed up until misses were encountered. Really, really some excellent coaching here.

Lateral movement (get off the X or whatever it’s called this week): very, very, big on movement to interrupt your opponents OODA loop.
Proper Draw Stroke: both strong side and appendix.

Proper grip: (Thumbs FWD)

Stance: Not so much, teaches an Isosceles for upper body (indexed on target), but not concerned with foot placement. Stressed the need to be able to shoot accurately regardless of foot placement. Also stressed starting drills with varied hand positions, not being prepped for the draw or looking at target.

Distances shot; usually within 7 yards. All the instruction was based on real world statistics. This might well be (probably was) due to it only being a one day class, but time was not spent on the “extremes” IE distance or number of threats. He geared everything towards “civilian” self-defense.

For references, I’ve taken about 7 defensive pistol classes through the years, in addition to the Military (MP) and a police academy. Pincus is probably one of the most unique instructors I’ve encountered so far. Kind of like a humorous, intelligent, sarcastic, energizer bunny. The guy is everywhere on the firing line, and if/when you screw something up, he WILL be there to catch it. Very, very, very, into getting across the “WHY” for everything he teaches. He encouraged everyone to challenge the material they either did not understand or did not agree with.

Bottom line I wish I had taken a 2 day, and will when it’s offered.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
39,022 Posts
Thanks for the AAR. I've heard quite a bit about Rob, but not from someone who actually trained with him.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Thanks for the review. My LGS has a certified instructor that Rob personally taught, and I've worked with that guy before, so I know he's picked up Pincus' instructions well. I hope to take that course shortly.

Reactions: Mike1956

·
Banned
19,633 Posts
I worked with Rob on a range while attending the 1" to 100 yrds event in Nevada years ago. We sat at the bar one night and exchanged a lot of ideas and skills development. He's an engaging individual, and can impart skills to those willing to make the effort to attend his events.

·
Premium Member
39,022 Posts
I worked with Rob on a range while attending the 1" to 100 yrds event in Nevada years ago. We sat at the bar one night and exchanged a lot of ideas and skills development. He's an engaging individual, and can impart skills to those willing to make the effort to attend his events.
I've heard some unkind things about Rob, but I always consider the source before I jump on the bandwagon. I would attend one of his classes given the opportunity.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Banned
19,633 Posts
I've heard some unkind things about Rob, but I always consider the source before I jump on the bandwagon. I would attend one of his classes given the opportunity.
I believe he's got a unique training style and skills drills and attending would make one more well rounded, if nothing else. Take what's useful and discard the rest.

·
Premium Member
39,022 Posts
I believe he's got a unique training style and skills drills and attending would make one more well rounded, if nothing else. Take what's useful and discard the rest.
It would be great if more instructors and enthusiasts shared that particular outlook.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

He does have a unique style....I've also heard some unflattering things, but when pressed the guy offering his opinion hadn't actually taken a class...one of those; had a friend who had a cousin that knew a guy...... The bolded is my normal approach. I'll reserve judgement and try anything unless I flat out think it's unsafe, or completely out to lunch (even then I might try it anyway).

Chuck

·
Premium Member
39,022 Posts
He does have a unique style....I've also heard some unflattering things, but when pressed the guy offering his opinion hadn't actually taken a class...one of those; had a friend who had a cousin that knew a guy...... The bolded is my normal approach. I'll reserve judgement and try anything unless I flat out think it's unsafe, or completely out to lunch (even then I might try it anyway).

Chuck
One thing that really bugs me is when general opinions are rendered without supporting specifics. An instructor who I respected once told me that Rob Pincus is an idiot. I asked for specifics, but got only another generality. Some time later, I got a similar offering from the same instructor about a guy I had trained under, and found the criticism to be not only unmerited, but very inaccurate.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Thanks for the AAR, Chuck. I trained with Rob a few years back. I havnt heard anything bad from the people that have taken a class from him. The only bad is from people that have not taken one of his classes.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Some of those techniques I consider to be a little dramatic and others seem to be his signature shtick. I have never attended training that I didn't discover something positive and useful. The key is to seek quality training and avoid all the mall ninja wannabe types. I think RP is a good instructor but I certainly do not agree with all of his ideas, methods or theories. Bottom line, I am sure a person could find his instruction usefull/helpful

·
Premium Member
39,022 Posts
Some of those techniques I consider to be a little dramatic and others seem to be his signature shtick. I have never attended training that I didn't discover something positive and useful. The key is to seek quality training and avoid all the mall ninja wannabe types. I think RP is a good instructor but I certainly do not agree with all of his ideas, methods or theories. Bottom line, I am sure a person could find his instruction usefull/helpful
I have yet to work under an instructor with whom that did not hold true, at least to some degree.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I've not taken a class with him, but I've read material from him. I don't agree with everything either, but the man knows more than I do. I certainly don't lump him in with the "operator"-type instructors I often have not so kind words for. He seems like a pretty decent dude.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts