·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: Christopher67

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I cant say I disagree with this video, I never understood carrying with an empty chamber.

Reactions: mardet and USM1976

·
Registered
451 Posts
In afghanistan its condition amber while on most bases. Magazine in empty chamber. While i maintained my m4 in that status my sidearm m11 was always red and ready to go. For me there is no practical reason for my personal weapons to ever be anything other than ready to fire

·
Registered
314 Posts
When I got my cfp in March, I planned to carry with an empty chamber for a year just to gauge my ability to carry safely. Well, it's been three months, and I now carry with one the chamber. I feel safer should a defensive situation arise, and in three my trigger discipline is strong enough to warrant carrying a chambered round.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'll say what I stated in another thread about chambered or unchambered handguns...ask any police officer how they carry their handguns...hot or a paper weight. The shooter in the video touched on it briefly at the end of the video when he said regardless of what his weak side was doing, he could still draw and fire if necessary....common sense.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
When I got my cfp in March, I planned to carry with an empty chamber for a year just to gauge my ability to carry safely...
Good for you for formulating a plan for graduated preparedness to match your proficiency. Double bonus for going after that experience. Comfort does not equal complacency.

^^this^^ is the only logical reason to carry an empty chamber; as a step toward eventually carrying condition 1.

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
Carrying without a round in the chamber is like kissin' your sister....

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
In afghanistan its condition amber while on most bases. Magazine in empty chamber. While i maintained my m4 in that status my sidearm m11 was always red and ready to go. For me there is no practical reason for my personal weapons to ever be anything other than ready to fire
"Condition red", I like that. ;-)

Considering an average man can cover 21' in 1.5 seconds, a'la Tueller drill, I'll carry in condition red - thank you very much. A man can stab you during the time it takes you to charge your weapon. There's no need to have any unnecessary barriers in place. Its your choice and its your life - do what your conscience will bear.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
In afghanistan its condition amber while on most bases. Magazine in empty chamber.
On a base, I can see that.

But in the field, I can't imagine that condition makes a person safer, as attack can come from any direction without notice. And with respect to SD, we are in "the field."

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
To each his own, but I always carried with a round chambered. If you have to draw and shoot quick you may not have time to rack the slide.
- Time isn't the main issue, it's the ability to rack the slide.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Always have a round chambered. The one time I have had to fire my gun in self defense was on a vicious 170 lb St. Bernard/rottweiler mix. Had I needed to rack the slide, he would have been all over me. I shot him while he was in the air coming at me, so factor in that split second and i am in the E.R or worse. In the event I had to fire on a two legged threat, I don't want to take my chances.

·
Banned
141 Posts
I was uncomfortable for my first year of CC with a chambered gun, but I recognized the risk and rewards of always ready, and now honestly feel comfort in being fully prepared.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I feel perfectly fine with a chambered round in a kydex holster, or nemesis pocket holster, but if carrying in a soft holster, like an uncle mikes, i would be nervous, unless the gun had a long trigger pull, and then i would still be leary.

·
Registered
362 Posts
We always carried hot in country too. Even M4s. I can imagine they still do so with all the insider attacks going on. The only time I didnt carry chambered was the first day I was carrying (Open) around my wife and then at my parents house.

I had to chamber a round, place my MP40 on the table and bring my wife and mother around and cuss the living dog snot out of my gun and repeatedly tell it kill me and shoot me. After about 1 minute they both lost all credibility to the argument that guns kill people. (Thank the Lord I didnt end up with an ND during that little show and tell lol)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.