Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with Rock Island Arms 1911.

I've been looking to buy a compact 1911 as my primary concealed carry piece and my gun guy has put me onto a R.I 1911 RA Tactical with a 3.5 in barrel.

Right now I am carrying either a Taurus 24/7 45 with a 4" or a Kel-Tec P11.

Both are nice guns, but I have always been a fan of the 1911.

Any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
75 Posts
They sound like one of the best deals in 1911 handguns. I've searched them and can't find many negatives at all. Down the road, I'll look for a commander or compact RIA 1911 (but I just bought a Para GI Expert, so the Li'l Mrs. won't be authorizing any RIAs very soon :blink:) Good luck!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've owned a couple of 1911's over the years. No personal experience with RIA, but...I volunteer with the Conservation Department, sometimes at one of their ranges and there are 2 RIA owners that avidly shoot them.

They trust them and like them. So far all I hear is the old addage: for the money you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have one. It doesn't have the same "feel" as my older colts, but it is a solid piece. I believe they are cast, but not everyone agrees that is a negative. I in no way regret purchasing mine. It goes bang every time and the price was excellent. I also find it to be plenty accurate in it's stock configuration.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Ive shot there Ar's they make fine one's, not experience with the 1911's though

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have several and all run as they should.

IMO, they are the best 1911 value on the market.

I have a .38 Super with a Kart 9mm barrel installed with about 10,000 rounds through it. I have two .45s with a fairly high round count with no problems. My other .38 Super is low round count and runs great.
Dave

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I have one of their FS 1911 Tacticals as my EDC.

I can't say a bad word about it. Very well-built gun. Utterly reliable. By far the best deal out there for a NIB 1911.

Feeds well with the stock ACT-mags, but even better with Wilson 47D. Remington Golden Sabres are my carry round because I wanted something as close to the shape of FMJ as possible since it IS a 1911.

·
Registered
328 Posts

I love mine. Targets shot offhand. Have taken a little off front sight to raise POI a bit.
The only negative for me is the more I shoot my full size Tac and this one, the worse I shoot my "plastic" 9s.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I have a compact 1911 RIA,it shoots great,and eats anything I put in it

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hopefully OD will chime in here.

OD, any info on the rumor that the RIA stuff is a direct copy of the Colt product? I've heard that they're actually a Colt repro facility.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I can't say they are a direct copy however I believe they are a very close copy to the original print. They are made on new ISO 9001 equipment. The frames are cast. Mine have been absolutely reliable. I carry my compact daily. The customer service in handled by Avanced Tactical in Nevada and is one of the best in the industry.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
My RIA Full size has been mostly trouble free and in all honesty the problems I did have were mag related (cheap gun show mag) and eaisly taken care of. Speaking of mag's, when I bought the gun I (foolishly) didn't check the case and when I got it home I realized that it was missing the mag. I contacted RIA's customer service to inquire what the cost would be to have one shipped to me and was sent one free of charge, along with a few other goodies!

I have replaced the recoil spring with a Wolf, but more as a preference then a need and it currently has over 1000rds thru it with no problems.

I've thought about picking up a compact and if I were to come across the right deal, I'd grab it for sure. I'd say they're one of the best values in the basic 1911platform out there

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I recently did some trading and got a new RIA GI in .38 Super. It was tagged $418, came with the case and 1 mag. I was impressed with the fit, it was surprisingly tight, and everything felt and functioned the way it should. The parkerizing is even andd looks nice. The mag is a no-name brand so I ordered a few Metalforms to go with it.

After giving it a good cleaning and lube it runs like a champ. It eats Aguila FMJ, Win Silvertips, and 9x23 Win JSP like candy, it shoots to point of aim and is surprisingly accurate. Also, after some shooting and a fair amount of dry firing it has a terrific trigger - clean and crisp and I'm guessing about 4-5lbs.

The only things I've done to it are replace the grips and add a set of 3 dot sights. I think these guns are a great deal if you're looking for a rugged, no frills 1911.

·
Registered
521 Posts
i have the full size and i love it!! works great!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a full size in .45ACP, used it for IDPA for awhile. The G.I. sights are not the best for match shooting. The gun has shot everything I have shoved in the magazines. The gun is very accurate and reliable, it now is my kit gun, as I have a Taurus PT1911 I use in IDPA now (better sights).

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I own several 1911's including Colt's, Dan Wesson, SA's and the RIA 1911 I own performs as well as the more expensive guns.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts