Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have number 2 in my possession so time to post some pics and observations.
This is how I received them.
The one on left is a 1981 as you maybe can tell from the round recoil shield vs the 1984 on the right with the familiar "scalloped" recoil shield that Ruger still uses today.
Ruger 6 a.jpg
The 81 is a brushed finish and the 84 is more polished. I have no idea if they are both factory or if some previous owner polished the 84. Both wear Pachmayr grips with a generic Compac on the 81 and a "made for Ruger" Compac w/ finger grooves on the 84.
The only other obvious difference is the 81 has a grooved trigger face and the 84 is smooth.
Ruger 6 b.jpg
As you can see both are round butt frames even though one is roll marked "speed six" and one is roll marked "police service six". According to Ruger both these guns left the factory as model GS-32 which is a 2.75" stainless 357 magnum speed six. The 1984 is roll marked incorrectly as Ruger never cataloged a round butt service six. I would love to get more details but, nobody is saying what happened here.
Ruger 6  c.jpg
here is what came with the 81 speed six. The original grips must have been taken off day one as they are too pristine to have ever been carried. The holster is also from the 80's as Bianchi no longer catalogs this model that I could find and if you could read the package it also fits an "S&W M&P 2". When did S&W drop the "M&P" designation from their k frame line?
Began raining when I was set to go shooting the "new" 81 but, I have shot the 84 which is partially the reason I grabbed another for the pair.
Ruger 6 d.jpg
Ruger 6 e.jpg
Ruger 6 f.jpg
One last thing. How many know what an old Colt revolver is like when it locks up? I can tell you its the tightest lockup of any revolver I have ever handled. This 81 speed six locks up just like that. When my FFL called me today he said "I think your going to be really happy with this one" and he was right. Its a gamble buying used online but, at least lately I have rolled a pair of awesome sixes.:image035:

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
I have number 2 in my possession so time to post some pics and observations.
This is how I received them.
The one on left is a 1981 as you maybe can tell from the round recoil shield vs the 1984 on the right with the familiar "scalloped" recoil shield that Ruger still uses today.
View attachment 292768
The 81 is a brushed finish and the 84 is more polished. I have no idea if they are both factory or if some previous owner polished the 84. Both wear Pachmayr grips with a generic Compac on the 81 and a "made for Ruger" Compac w/ finger grooves on the 84.
The only other obvious difference is the 81 has a grooved trigger face and the 84 is smooth.
View attachment 292770
As you can see both are round butt frames even though one is roll marked "speed six" and one is roll marked "police service six". According to Ruger both these guns left the factory as model GS-32 which is a 2.75" stainless 357 magnum speed six. The 1984 is roll marked incorrectly as Ruger never cataloged a round butt service six. I would love to get more details but, nobody is saying what happened here.
View attachment 292772
here is what came with the 81 speed six. The original grips must have been taken off day one as they are too pristine to have ever been carried. The holster is also from the 80's as Bianchi no longer catalogs this model that I could find and if you could read the package it also fits an "S&W M&P 2". When did S&W drop the "M&P" designation from their k frame line?
Began raining when I was set to go shooting the "new" 81 but, I have shot the 84 which is partially the reason I grabbed another for the pair.
View attachment 292774
View attachment 292776
View attachment 292778
One last thing. How many know what an old Colt revolver is like when it locks up? I can tell you its the tightest lockup of any revolver I have ever handled. This 81 speed six locks up just like that. When my FFL called me today he said "I think your going to be really happy with this one" and he was right. Its a gamble buying used online but, at least lately I have rolled a pair of awesome sixes.:image035:
You don't really deserve those wheel guns. I'm revolver poor and would accept them as a gift from you.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
Please do. I would always like to see photos of others guns.
O K, here you go. You'd have a cow if you knew the story on these! The one in front was my Dad's. Mine is in the background. Had my name engraved on the backstrap, so Dad didn't think he could "scam mine"! :image035:

100_0411 (1).JPG

100_0410 (1).JPG

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
O K, here you go. You'd have a cow if you knew the story on these! The one in front was my Dad's. Mine is in the background. Had my name engraved on the backstrap, so Dad didn't think he could "scam mine"! :image035:

View attachment 292782

View attachment 292784
Very nice. Thank you for posting. I don't see a lot of the 2.75 security sixes around. I have a blued 4" myself but, I really like the short barrel for carry. Nice that you have a family connection to the pair as well.:35:

·
Registered
2,380 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
Very nice. Thank you for posting. I don't see a lot of the 2.75 security sixes around. I have a blued 4" myself but, I really like the short barrel for carry. Nice that you have a family connection to the pair as well.:35:
Me too! I've stopped carrying mine recently, & switched to this, as my daily carry wheel gun, in my carry set up. Bigger, yes, but it carry's very easily.

100_0083.JPG

1 - 20 of 32 Posts