Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that Ive always wondered and could never come up with a good reason is why the HK MP5 style weapons are always more expensive than the HK 91 type rifles (in 308)? I can see why the Century C308 is cheaper, since they are not fully new rifles, but when you compare apples to apples, like PTR, comparing a PTR 91 to a PTR 9R, why is the MP5 style gun in 9mm 50-60% more expensive at a minimum?

They are both factory new firearms, both use the same operating mechanism, same type of construction methods, etc. If anything, Id expect the 308 guns to be the most expensive, and the 9mm guns to be the least expensive.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
One thing that Ive always wondered and could never come up with a good reason is why the HK MP5 style weapons are always more expensive than the HK 91 type rifles (in 308)? I can see why the Century C308 is cheaper, since they are not fully new rifles, but when you compare apples to apples, like PTR, comparing a PTR 91 to a PTR 9R, why is the MP5 style gun in 9mm 50-60% more expensive at a minimum?

They are both factory new firearms, both use the same operating mechanism, same type of construction methods, etc. If anything, Id expect the 308 guns to be the most expensive, and the 9mm guns to be the least expensive.
Because a PTR is not an H&K 91.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Microeconomics.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Speaking of which:

HK gives us what we’ve wanted for 30 years...

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/12/02/hk-sp5-heckler-koch-mp5/

As to why they are more expensive? My guess would be that until very recently, the only 9mm roller locks available were PO(Junk) clones (see: Special Weapons or anything else Toad Bailey had his festering mitts in), or the unicorn level HK SP89...which one pays VERY dearly for (I know, I have one).

And...look at the price of an actual HK91 sometime...the clones are cheap in comparison...

Reactions: OD* and Bad Bob

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Globe use of the G3 and the like sold in the millions lot of people making and still using them massive depots of mags , parts guns etc ..Millions made waiting for the big Russian war that never came ... So trickle down to a lot of parts kit for builders and the like and lot of parts around to be built ..But then ask who is buying the MP5 ? Mostly police , special forces etc and that was only onto the late 80 early 90s when many cops shops stop using them for 556 caliber rifles due to criminal using more body armor and rifles in that time .

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know the genuine HK guns are always more expensive, but when comparing apples to apples, something like PTR, the 9mm guns are more expensive. You cannot buy a brand new HK 91 here in America, so you cannot use that to compare prices. Used prices dont count, that has to do with market trends, used pricing, etc.

When you compare like to like, from the same manufacturer, I just dont get why the 9mm is more expensive.

And sure, a PTR91 and a HK91 are not exactly the same, but the overwhelming majority of parts are swappable. The PTR91 is a clone of the HK91. For all intents and purposes, they are the same.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I know the genuine HK guns are always more expensive, but when comparing apples to apples, something like PTR, the 9mm guns are more expensive. You cannot buy a brand new HK 91 here in America, so you cannot use that to compare prices. Used prices dont count, that has to do with market trends, used pricing, etc.

When you compare like to like, from the same manufacturer, I just dont get why the 9mm is more expensive.

And sure, a PTR91 and a HK91 are not exactly the same, but the overwhelming majority of parts are swappable. The PTR91 is a clone of the HK91. For all intents and purposes, they are the same.
The .308's were, originally all parts kits; the G3 was widely used, and when militaries ditched their .308 battle rifles for 5.56...chopped up G3's were plentiful.

Chopped up MP5’s? Not so much.

Then, the clone companies (like PTR) tooled up to completely build their own parts when the surplus chop kits started drying up...and didn’t raise their prices much at the time.

The other reason? Because people will pay higher prices for the 9mm’s.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
If I had to guess, there is a much bigger demand for the mp5 style guns.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts

When you could buy a new H&K they were still twice the price.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you could buy a new H&K they were still twice the price.
The 9mms were twice the price when new from HK? That’s what I don’t get. I could understand them being the same price because it’s essentially the same exact gun just with a different caliber, but the 9mm guns are always anywhere from 50% more to 100% more and I just don’t get it.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
The 9mms were twice the price when new from HK? That’s what I don’t get. I could understand them being the same price because it’s essentially the same exact gun just with a different caliber, but the 9mm guns are always anywhere from 50% more to 100% more and I just don’t get it.
That is H&K. Import fee's etc.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
That, and HK didn’t import nearly as many HK94’s and SP89’s as they did HK91’s.

Scarcity drives up price.

Reactions: Bad Bob
1 - 13 of 13 Posts