Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Actually it was a picture you posted some time ago that inspired me to try the Pachmyr compacs on my SP101. I find they soak up recoil better than the originals I was using and fit my hand just as well. As an added plus I do think they are pleasing to the eye.
I am glad the photo was inspiring to you to try the grip and wind up liking them.You are correct sir they are pleasing to the eye especially in a functional way and the perfect grip for me. I really like their look from the right side .

photo.jpg

·
Registered
858 Posts
Thanks for the review.
I have the black badger boot grips on my SP, and mine developed a chip in the back, near the backstrap, after just one range session.
The chipped out section is very small, and Jim Badger offered to replace them, but I might just leave them on, since the replacements might just do the same...
I will just sand them lightly, and call it good.
I love the way they feel, conceal, and look.
I would like the pachmayer too, but am worried that so many say that they do not fit properly..
How many have found pachs that DID fit?
Will post pics... if I can ever get my photos to a hosting site.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I wanted to get some crimson trace grips for my sp101, checked out one at the local GS, and found that I didn't like the way the gun pointed with 'em. Would've never thought of that. Factory grips conceal great, wouldn't consider any others.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Rollo, great review. I've got the Hogue grips on my SP101 right now. I'm surprised you find them grabby. I typically use nothing but a t-shirt to cover the gun and haven't found them grabby, at all. One trick I learned long ago was to wipe down new rubber grips (Hogue, Pachmyr, etc...) with alcohol, let them dry and sit for a few minutes, then rub them down with your hands. Repeat a second time if needed. This has always taken off any tacky, sticky, grabby feel to my grips.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the review.
I have the black badger boot grips on my SP, and mine developed a chip in the back, near the backstrap, after just one range session.
The chipped out section is very small, and Jim Badger offered to replace them, but I might just leave them on, since the replacements might just do the same...
I will just sand them lightly, and call it good.
I love the way they feel, conceal, and look.
I would like the pachmayer too, but am worried that so many say that they do not fit properly..
How many have found pachs that DID fit?
Will post pics... if I can ever get my photos to a hosting site.
I actually developed the same chip in mine. I never bothered to contact Jim though. I filled in the chip with some clear nail polish which seems to have worked pretty well,

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
I wish someone would make some wood grips for the SP101 that look like old S&W square butt grips. I wonder if there's a custom grip maker that would either make some or modify a set of Smith grips to fir the SP101. To me, that would give the SP101 a classic revolver look. Any suggestions on someone to contact?

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
I wish someone would make some wood grips for the SP101 that look like old S&W square butt grips. I wonder if there's a custom grip maker that would either make some or modify a set of Smith grips to fir the SP101. To me, that would give the SP101 a classic revolver look. Any suggestions on someone to contact?
Why not just buy a S&W for your next wheel gun? :smile:

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Great report Rollo! :hand56:

To date, I've left my SP-101's stock, but I've been really drooling over those Secret Service grips for a while now. May have to spring for a pair.

·
Registered
11,494 Posts
Very good review Rollo. Well done.

I personally like the stock grips the best. I like the way they look and I like the way they feel. They have the added benefit of not costing anything extra too! :wink:

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
I hear ya Mike, I haven't had any troubles keeping the stock grips.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Why not just buy a S&W for your next wheel gun? :smile:
I probably will...the revolver case draws me in like a magnet everytime I go to my LGS and the nickel Smith's with wood grips tug at me like nothing else. I'm thinking 6 shot 3" bbl .357 Mag. just might scratch the itch I've got.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Rollo, i would like to get a Ruger Sp101 with everything that i have read online... its driving me nuts, and with this thread, i want one even more. I carry Smith 642ct and also a smith 442. I have purchased some really nice holsters from Hays Holsters which is a sponser here. My question is, how can i justify buying another revolver? I have quite a few now, including three taurus which i carry sometimes also. Is the 357 magnum really that more impressive than my 38special + P loads? Would i enjoy shooting it more at the range? My friend Emil has his FFL, and he gets guns wholesale prices and only charges members of our gun club $25 over wholesale prices to cover his time with paperwork. He can get me a Sp101 with a crimson trace laser grip for $535 plus his $25... should i opt for the hammerless model, or get the exposed hammer? Oh my, this is nuts! How many revolvers do i need to own? Me want one.... ME WANT ONE NOW! Bunker

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Rollo, i would like to get a Ruger Sp101 with everything that i have read online... its driving me nuts, and with this thread, i want one even more. I carry Smith 642ct and also a smith 442. I have purchased some really nice holsters from Hays Holsters which is a sponser here. My question is, how can i justify buying another revolver? I have quite a few now, including three taurus which i carry sometimes also. Is the 357 magnum really that more impressive than my 38special + P loads? Would i enjoy shooting it more at the range? My friend Emil has his FFL, and he gets guns wholesale prices and only charges members of our gun club $25 over wholesale prices to cover his time with paperwork. He can get me a Sp101 with a crimson trace laser grip for $535 plus his $25... should i opt for the hammerless model, or get the exposed hammer? Oh my, this is nuts! How many revolvers do i need to own? Me want one.... ME WANT ONE NOW! Bunker
To me there is NO doubt that the .357 (even out of a short barrel) is way beyond even the hottest .38 +p loads. Would you enjoy shooting it more? Maybe, maybe not. I think it's a more enjoyable gun to shoot then a J-frame. I personally like the exposed hammer. I have never had issue with it getting snagged and it's nice to have the option of shooting it single action.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
I made a deal from the guy in Thailand selling grips on evilbay. Got an unfinished exotic wood set for less than $30 delivered.
Some Mahogany leather dye and finished with minwax antique oil finish. Look great for show, but Uncle Mikes or Pachmyer
compacts for carry are probably the best avilable now that the Trausch grips are no longer available..
Anyone selling Trausch grips for an SP here??? Been looking for a year...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts

My new grip inserts for my SP101 357.
'Merica

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Thanks for the review Rollo I have CTG's on my 3" SP 101 no complaints. However some of these you have featured may make their way on to my 2".

21 - 40 of 50 Posts