Defensive Carry banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I went with the houge mono grips....perfect fit, comfort and I don't have an issue with concealment. I tried full house 357 loads with the original grips...just a tad uncomfortable.

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've owned and carried a Ruger SP 101 for quite a few years. Usually the first thing I have to change out on any pistol I've owned are the grips. Not the case with the SP 101. I tried other grips but have always gone back to the factory ones. The only thing I've changed is the grip inserts. Bought a nice set of grips from Wicked Grips. Probably the last grip inserts I'll buy.

My Ruger SP 101.jpeg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great assessment Rollo, and I agree with your ratings. I'm glad that you have found your comfort zone with the SP101. I know you went through a lot of different firearms with various issues before you found the one that really fit your needs. I'm not at all surprised that the SP101 was the one. To me, it's the ultimate carry piece.

My SP101 still sports the factory grips with the factory inserts. I've shot it a lot with them on there, they're fairly comfortable and I'm able to be accurate with them so I've not felt the need to change them out. I'm looking around for a pair of nice wooden inserts to give it a little more of a classic revolver look, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. If I ever find a pair of old school looking classic wooden revolver grips made to fit the SP101, those will be the ones I would consider switching to.

I've got 15 handguns (I think), and if I had to pick only 1 to keep for all of my needs, it would be my SP101. They're awesome carry pieces. All stainless steel with no MIM parts. Durable, reliable, and versatile. Between the two barrel lengths, two hammer options, spring kits, various loads in both .38 and .357, and various grip configurations it can be set up to fit anyone of any ability level without impeding function. That's pretty cool in my book.
What barrel length?

41 - 50 of 50 Posts