Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aim Surplus has Romainian RPKs in m7.62x39 for sale. 23 1/8" barrel. 2 mags, sling, pouch, oil bottle, butt stock cleaning kit. Side scope mount, carry handle, and folding bipod. The price is $499.95.

Does anyone have any experience with the Romainian RPKs? Are they better quality than the Romainian WASRs? Because I handled a WASR NIB and it looked pretty rough. I'd rather spend a little more to get a decent AK. I'd prefer a VEPR but those are more than hard to find. A gun show might be a better place to start looking.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have some experience with actual RPK's of Soviet manufacture. Though some were just plain whipped, overall I found them to be a decent weapon. I felt it was too unweildy for use in urban areas/in and around vehicles and I did not think the extra barrel length did that much more for the 7.62x39mm. Given a choice, I would opt for the AK.

If you were looking for a SHTF rifle, I would pass. If you are looking for an "attention getter" with the boys at the gun club, you may have a winner. I can not comment on the price.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not looking for an attention getter. Like the guy at the range who is blasting away with a .50AE Desert Eagle and can't hit crap. No, thats not me. I just want a good, modestly priced, reliable rifle that can bee used as a shtf weapon or a fun range toy.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was thinking the barrel was a little too long and I find most normal AKs have decent combat accuracy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with 6. Go with the a decent AK; I just picked up an ArmoryUSA SSR-85C-2 AK from Ordnance Outsellers - it's a sweet shooter. Put an Ultimak optics rail and an EOTech on it last night; now I have to wait until the weekend to try it out.:sad:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking at either an Arsenal or Vepr. I'll take either. It's just a matter of which one I find after I have the money. But I like the looks of the Vepr furniture better.

·
Registered
940 Posts
One thing I should point out is the "RPK" being sold at this point by most of the distributors is not actually one in practice (beyond the full-auto switch) - it doesn't have the reinforced trunions and proper receiver. It's merely a long-barrelled AK.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah I see. I guess I could go get a Vepr II with a 20" barrel. Add a harris bipod and a 75 round drum. That would be closer to an RPK, except for full-auto.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
229DAK said:
I agree with 6. Go with the a decent AK; I just picked up an ArmoryUSA SSR-85C-2 AK from Ordnance Outsellers - it's a sweet shooter. Put an Ultimak optics rail and an EOTech on it last night; now I have to wait until the weekend to try it out.:sad:
Little known fact - the EOTech is intended to go between the AR and AK platforms.

The 1 moa dot in the center is where you expect the AR rounds to hit, and the AK rounds should end up somewhere in the 65moa ring... :tongue:

Matt

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
MattLarson said:
the AK rounds should end up somewhere in the 65moa ring... :tongue:

Matt
:rofl:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts