Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this and found it very interesting. Looks like I am going to have to give this a try. Its seems pretty straight forward. Looks like I am going to have to find out when they will be in my area and try to get into a class..

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
Worth watching for some real good tips . Never stop training, refining, practicing.

Reactions: Kennydale and OD*

·
Super Moderator
22,061 Posts
Just think how much better he would be, if he wasn't using such an antiquated pistol! :tongue:

Seriously, good video, thanks for posting it.

Reactions: Bad Bob

·
Registered
941 Posts
That guy knows not just about shooting, but instructing. That's a good combination. You could learn alot about how to teach someone anything - to throw a baseball, fix a TV, or drive a car - from watching that video.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Very good tips that are easy to understand and implement. Good stuff!

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just think how much better he would be, if he wasn't using such an antiquated pistol! :tongue:

Seriously, good video, thanks for posting it.
He must not be that old, at least its not a revolver...:wink:

·
Super Moderator
22,061 Posts
That's true! :wink:

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
That was very good. I liked that a lot. Thanks HB. Now I see why folks will cut the front of a holster down. Never thought about it like that before.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
That's cool - lost 1/3 sec in 10 min of instruction. However, if I remember right, the purpose of the high draw stroke/pistol rotation was retention in close quarters and bringing hands together close to the chest was to avoid the dreaded "shooting faster than drawing" scenario. Don't forget the "why's" of the different techniques - more tools is better. And, yes, I realize we're only seeing a snippet of his training technique.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's cool - lost 1/3 sec in 10 min of instruction. However, if I remember right, the purpose of the high draw stroke/pistol rotation was retention in close quarters and bringing hands together close to the chest was to avoid the dreaded "shooting faster than drawing" scenario. Don't forget the "why's" of the different techniques - more tools is better. And, yes, I realize we're only seeing a snippet of his training technique.
He does mention being able to adapt, its brief, but there...Good point...

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Good post...I especially like his advice "Don't punch out, reach out and touch".....Thanks for posting...

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I was waiting for him to say "When you can grab the stone from my hand, it will be time to leave , Grasshopper !"

Super impressive !

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting instruction...kinda goes against current "tactical" techniques.
I see your point. You can tell that Cory (student) is trained in current techniques. I think that even Haley has figured out that Ron's way of doing things can be infused into the current way of doing things...Maybe, Just maybe some of the old dogs around here, can teach us something....:image035:

Reactions: NH_Esau and OD*

·
Registered
32 Posts
That guy is a teacher. He knew just when to break the guy's train of thought to introduce something knew and make it intuitive. i am impressed.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
I see your point. You can tell that Cory (student) is trained in current techniques. I think that even Haley has figured out that Ron's way of doing things can be infused into the current way of doing things...Maybe, Just maybe some of the old dogs around here, can teach us something....:image035:
Old dogs...he doesn't look that old.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Interesting instruction...kinda goes against current "tactical" techniques.
I agree. I personally don't feel the current "tactical" techniques are particularly great for reactive/defensive shooting. Under ideal circumstances, you can draw, align the sights as you are pressing out, and break the shot. In a reactive fight, you are trying to get that gun out and on target as quick as possible. You are talking about a 1/10 of a second to pick up that sight while you are extending out.

Based on my personal experimenting with my draw, I found it was easy to develop the muscle memory for the correct wrist angle using the technique Ron Avery showed in that video, then its just a matter of bringing it right up on target and as soon as my front sight is on the target, I break the shot.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Awesome video! I'm always looking for tips like this!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Based on my personal experimenting with my draw, I found it was easy to develop the muscle memory for the correct wrist angle using the technique Ron Avery showed in that video, then its just a matter of bringing it right up on target and as soon as my front sight is on the target, I break the shot.
Ya, I watched this before I did my dry fire routine last night, decided to give it a try. It really is using your body's natural movements (like pointing your index finger) to get on target and QUICK. I have to say, that's some good stuff! And I believe using/training with the body's natural movements is big plus, its probably what your going to resort to in a SD situation.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts