Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
I sold mine several years ago , had one like the video with peep sights and stainless with HunterX stock and Simmons scope very accurate . Both had BX trigger , auto bolt open and oversize receiver pins.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
I set out to buy a 10/22 this past year, but could not find one in stock at a reasonable price. What I wound up buying is an intentional competitor, the Thompson Center TCR 22. It even takes 10/22 mags. As you may know TC is now owned by S&W and they use S&W customer service.

I have to say, I like it a lot. I like the ergonomics on it better than the 10/22. Other than that, I would say the two are comparable. My one caution with it is that it touts having a last round bolt hold open, which the 10/22 does not have, but that feature is enabled by a pesky little lever on the TC mag that is a total PITA. I would advise anyone buying one to just throw the TC mag out and buy 10/22 mags. But it was a very satisfactory purchase overall.

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
Thanks for the review, Howard!

A 10/22 was my first .22, and my first rifle. Got it 44 years ago as part of a trade for an old Astra .380 that had some issues. A friend of mine just HAD to have that pistol, even though I'd told him about the problems I was having with it. He traded me a NIB 10/22 and an old double-barrel 20 gauge for the Astra.

I still have both!

ETA - I recently picked up a current-production 10/22 takedown model, just because!

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a 10/22, but as some of you may remember, I've called it the most overrated firearm on a number of occasions. No nostalgia for it, it's just an OKish gun.
There's nothing wrong with it, but if you remove people's nostalgia, and the huge aftermarket options, all that's left is a lackluster gun.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
18,937 Posts
I bought one for my wife about ten years ago. It sat in the safe unfired for about five years and then we sold it. I am not a fan of rimfire guns.

We only own two rimfire guns. My wife has a Ruger MK III Hunter .22 LR. I have a NAA MiniMag 22M .22 magnum revolver.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I really like my 10/22. Of course, it's no longer stock. I have several VOLQUARTSEN parts, with made it kind of expensive, but a darn good shooter. I topped it off with a Vortex Strike Fire Red/green dot sight because my eyes can no longer function with iron sights. Even stock, they're great guns.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I bought my Ruger 10/22 in the earlier 70's. It's the basic rifle with wood furniture and I paid $72.50 for it new in the box. Still own it.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
While I admit they are nothing super special in regards to guns in general. One can't help admire the market share Ruger gained by their handling of the times to take it.

They are not the most accurate. However, they are reliable, shoot relatively accurately, and normally are reasonably priced.

My Father bought one back in the early 70s and I learned to shoot with it some twenty years later. His sons are like so many other young people. We got started shooting with one. That helps keep the gun so popular.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
While I admit they are nothing super special in regards to guns in general. One can't help admire the market share Ruger gained by their handling of the times to take it.

They are not the most accurate. However, they are reliable, shoot relatively accurately, and normally are reasonably priced.

My Father bought one back in the early 70s and I learned to shoot with it some twenty years later. His sons are like so many other young people. We got started shooting with one. That helps keep the gun so popular.
I can hit a dime at 25 yards, consistently, off hand, after a few mods. Accurate?

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
This is a long overdue video review.

Howard

Thanks Howard.
I've posted before about my "Addiction" to these little guns. I finally started building the latest one. Barrel is at the machine shop getting threaded. Those with the twenty inch barrel are extremely accurate.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
@flintlock62 the 10/22 isn't that tight of a grouping. Yours sounds like it needs some work to tighten things up.

My Father's is accurate enough to hit squirrels out to 50 yards with open sights. We have been using Winchesters high velocity 40g LRN ammunition for almost 30 years now. The two of us killed enough of the pests chewing on the old wooden garage doors to stay in squirrel fighting combat shape back in the day. Fun times all right. It was a sad day when the wooden panels got replaced with metal ones. For me, not my Father.

That gun will consistently put all the rounds into a quarter sized area at 25 yards. It's not meant to be a precision gun. The MOA isn't great on the stock models. It was modeled after the M1 aesthetically, and the action was made such that it can reliably feed almost all .22 LR ammunition made. Much like the Soviet bloc AKs. Guns that just keep on shooting with a little bit of cleaning, but are not super accurate.

My CZ-452 can put rounds into a dime sized area at 50 yards all day long from the bench. Far more accurate. However, that gun was built for accuracy.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I had a scoped Mossberg 340K at the time and I either sold it or traded it, don't recall which, for my Ruger 10/22. I never looked back. Great little shooter and quite accurate.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts