Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought my 10/22 a couple of hours ago, i got the TD with bull barrel, which i love, but it comes with no iron sights, so i must act fast and get my optics or I wont be able to play with it!

Now the thing is, i have n experience with rifles, or scopes... So I need help picking my scope, i would like it to have power adjustment so that i can shoot from 25-100 yards at least... Whats a nice option? Hoping to get good quality, ofc the lowest the price the better but, mostly quality

Also if you know what to get to mod it?

Im getting aside from optics:
- Bipode
- New Stock, i want one with a thumb hole, just know about the hogue one, if any of you know about one for the takedown model with .920 barrel aside from that one let me know please!
- Trigger, though not sure which one to get...
- A nice compensator, mostly for the looks...

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

PD:
These are my top choices at amazon, I could look elsewhere, just happened to have amazon opened and started browsing, but would help if you guys could pitch in on the ones I have eyed:

1)https://www.amazon.com/CVLIFE-Hunti...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JX80B0QRZTRW12TAZBM8

2)https://www.amazon.com/Tasco-Prongh...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JX80B0QRZTRW12TAZBM8

3)https://www.amazon.com/Simmons-5110...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JX80B0QRZTRW12TAZBM8

·
Registered
214 Posts
For triggers, Kidd seems to be fine. They have all sorts of cool stuff on their webpage. Or Volquartsen. Or you can improve the trigger yourself quite a bit with some careful polishing and maybe a spring kit. Go over all receiver to bolt surfaces with that fine sand paper or Arkansas stone. It makes a big difference (but of course not to the trigger).

I have a Vortex 2-8 Diamondback HP (discontinued) on mine and I think it's good for plinking, but I know that a lot of people who like to shoot tight groups prefer higher magnification.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Well, the first thing that I'll tell you is that you don't need to adjust the power to shoot 25-100 yards. You can do all of that with a 4X or 6X fixed power scope....and you'll pay less and get better glass in a fixed power scope. Thing is, everyone wants to be able to zoom in, so fixed power is hard to find these days.

I have a Vortex Diamondback 2-7 on my 10/22, and so far it has been great.

My suggestion is to skip the compensator, get a good laminate thumbhole stock, and leave the two halves of the rifle put together (assuming that your scope is mounted to the receiver and not to the barrel)

·
Registered
26 Posts
For triggers, Kidd seems to be fine. They have all sorts of cool stuff on their webpage. Or Volquartsen. Or you can improve the trigger yourself quite a bit with some careful polishing and maybe a spring kit. Go over all receiver to bolt surfaces with that fine sand paper or Arkansas stone. It makes a big difference (but of course not to the trigger).

I have a Vortex 2-8 Diamondback HP (discontinued) on mine and I think it's good for plinking, but I know that a lot of people who like to shoot tight groups prefer higher magnification.
Im going to take a look at that Kidd, have heard good things about it! Thanks!

Well, the first thing that I'll tell you is that you don't need to adjust the power to shoot 25-100 yards. You can do all of that with a 4X or 6X fixed power scope....and you'll pay less and get better glass in a fixed power scope. Thing is, everyone wants to be able to zoom in, so fixed power is hard to find these days.

I have a Vortex Diamondback 2-7 on my 10/22, and so far it has been great.

My suggestion is to skip the compensator, get a good laminate thumbhole stock, and leave the two halves of the rifle put together (assuming that your scope is mounted to the receiver and not to the barrel)
The scope is mounted on the receiver in fact, I did my homework before I bought it, but didnt know i could do that, even in the bull barrel version?
Also, is the hogue one not that good?

Thanks for the advice, it helps a lot, im extremely noob on scopes, im going to take a look on the fixed ones!

Thats two people with Vortex Diamondback, im going to check them out! pardon the ignorance, but is 2-8 or 2-7, the same as 2x8/2x7?

·
Super Moderator
19,876 Posts
For a scope, a 3-9x32 is enough for most purposes to 50 yards. Serious paper punching at 100 yards demands much more power and good glass. What I do recommend if you go the variable power route is adjustable objective. The quality of what you get is highly dependent on your budget! You can get a decent Simmons for under $70, a Mueller APV for about double that, or a Weaver RV9 for 4x that. The basic Ruger scope mount is decent, but the rings you get should be commensurate with what you invest in a scope.

For triggers, I would send the stock unit off to Brimstone for their level 2 trigger job. Way better than the Ruger aftermarket trigger, and substantially lower investment than a Kidd.

There's a huge wealth of 10/22 info to be gleaned over at rimfirecentral.com.

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
My 10/22 has the following:

Simmons .22 Mag Truplex Reticle Adjustable Objective Rimfire Riflescope with Rings, 3-9x32mm (Throw away the rings. They're garbage.)
Magpul Hunter X-22 Stock
Tactical Solutions Bull Barrel
Tandem Kross CNC Bolt
Tandem Kross Compensator
Timney Trigger
Misc pins and shock buffer from someone (Volquartsen? Tandem Kross?)

Mrs. Dunaway's has the same barrel and stock but we went with the Brimstone trigger job with hers. I like the Timney better.

Basically, the only thing left on my 10/22 from Ruger is the receiver and serial number.

Now. My Ruger 22/45 Pistol has all the Volquartsen parts. :biggrin:

You can't go wrong with either Volquartsen or Tandem Kross.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 10/22 has the following:

Simmons .22 Mag Truplex Reticle Adjustable Objective Rimfire Riflescope with Rings, 3-9x32mm (Throw away the rings. They're garbage.)
Magpul Hunter X-22 Stock
Tactical Solutions Bull Barrel
Tandem Kross CNC Bolt
Tandem Kross Compensator
Timney Trigger
Misc pins and shock buffer from someone (Volquartsen? Tandem Kross?)

Mrs. Dunaway's has the same barrel and stock but we went with the Brimstone trigger job with hers. I like the Timney better.

Basically, the only thing left on my 10/22 from Ruger is the receiver and serial number.

Now. My Ruger 22/45 Pistol has all the Volquartsen parts. :biggrin:

You can't go wrong with either Volquartsen or Tandem Kross.
Nice set up! Im taking a look on amazon at that simmons scope, how good is it?
I almost went with a 22/45 instead of the 10/22, nice looking pistol that 22/45!

These are my top choices at amazon, I could look elsewhere, just happened to have amazon opened and started browsing, but would help if you guys could pitch in on the ones I have eyed:

1)https://www.amazon.com/CVLIFE-Hunti...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JX80B0QRZTRW12TAZBM8

2)https://www.amazon.com/Tasco-Prongh...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JX80B0QRZTRW12TAZBM8

3)https://www.amazon.com/Simmons-5110...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JX80B0QRZTRW12TAZBM8

·
Super Moderator
19,876 Posts
I've had two of the Simmons "22 Mag" scopes, one with the adjustable objective (AO), and one without. Spend the extra few bucks and get the AO feature.

The Simmons is definitely a good value. Where it falls down is in the quality of the glass. For fun shooting it's fine, but spending two full days behind the scope at an Appleseed event gave me an eyestrain headache. Better glass (e.g., Leupold and the higher-quality Weaver and Vortex scopes) eliminates that as a problem.

Realistically, dropping $200 on a Kidd trigger and then going el cheapo on a scope is way out of balance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had two of the Simmons "22 Mag" scopes, one with the adjustable objective (AO), and one without. Spend the extra few bucks and get the AO feature.

The Simmons is definitely a good value. Where it falls down is in the quality of the glass. For fun shooting it's fine, but spending two full days behind the scope at an Appleseed event gave me an eyestrain headache. Better glass (e.g., Leupold and the higher-quality Weaver and Vortex scopes) eliminates that as a problem.

Realistically, dropping $200 on a Kidd trigger and then going el cheapo on a scope is way out of balance.
Very true, my biggest issue right now is that the version of 10/2 i got, comes with no ironsights, so i cant shoot it, but i dont yet have enough money to buy one, since I just got the weapon haha The first option supposedly is $240, and is on sale... I knoww its just probably a sales strategy, but I was just kinda hoping they were on clearance hahaha

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts

Smitty is right. It's a fun shooting scope. You're not going to be shooting single holes at 50 yard with one. I tend to shoot 22 friendly matches with both of my 22s where I'm not trying to shoot one ragged hole. I shoot steel with the iron sight pistol, for instance. However, I can blow out a quarter size bullseye at 50 yards with the Simmons with the occasional straggler.

When I am trying for that single hole, I swap out the scope to something I have on my bigger rifles. But I understood from the start of your post that you were looking for something inexpensive.

If you want to step up in glass, look into the Vortex brand of scopes. You'll end up with a decent scope without completely breaking the bank.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I'm not one that can wait to shoot a new 22. I would get a Walmart $39 Bushnell. It will give you an idea of what the rifle can do/will need. For decent cheap scope Mueller makes a AO scope. You can get them from Optics Planet. You might want to visit the rim fire forum.

Playing with 10 22s can get expensive fast.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I've built countless 10/22's over the years- spend your money on a good scope mount over anything else. This is the 10/22 weak link. I personally like DNZ offerings.
Scopes- there are a ton out there that will get the job done on 10/22. You don't need ultra high end but don't be cheap here either.
Stocks- also a ton. This is highly a personal prefence issue. Find one you like and roll with it.
Compensator- fairly pointless on a 10/22 but whatever floats your boat I guess. I buy a lot of stuff from tactical solutions- they have a lot of goodies like that.
Triggers- I wouldn't mess with one yet. But when you do, Volquartson is the gold standard

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Pentax makes some really good scopes at very reasonable prices! Occasionally you find a nice Nikon on sale that would also be a great choice! I will also second what gasmitty said about rimfirecentral.com. Good luck!

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I've been more than happy with my drop in Ruger brand aftermarket trigger. Relatively cheap, too. Like the rifle.
If your thoughts are to eventually glass and pillar bed the stock, get a more accurate barrel for it, new bolt and basically change out everything but the receiver, then I'd spend the money on a Kidd trigger. And even then, being a take down model I'm not sure you'll see the accuracy those parts deserve.

Since you are using it for a defensive rifle you might want to go with a red dot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts