Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like it too much. :biggrin2:

The Ruger CMD Night Watchman is a steel "commander" size 1911 with Black Nitride finish and Trijicon night sights.
Pistol came with two flush fitting 7 round magazines and they worked reliably.
This 1911 feels great in my hand; I thought the front strap might need skateboard tape for traction, but it doesn't.
Recoil with standard 230 gr. ammo is moderate, steel frame soaks it up.

Why did I have to buy this? :doh:
A 5'' standard 1911 is too long for appendix IWB (for me), I thought the shorter slide would work and it does.
It shoots great, fits my hand perfect, I can carry it appendix IWB, so slim compared to Glock ... :hypnotized:
A "low capacity" 1911 instead of a Glock.... :boggled: :bigeyes:

Ruger 1911 Commander, chrono average for 6 shots:
Federal HST 230 @ 853 fps
Winchester Ranger T 230 @ 909 fps

Ruger1911.jpg

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
It is very nice. Makes me want to sample an all-steel Commander-sized 1911-type gun.

I like the look of the ballistics of that load from out of that gun. That load has everything one needs and nothing one doesn't need.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
They suck in 9mm as well.

No, really,other than a Colt 2016 LW Commander, the Night Watchman is the
Commander that I'd buy.

They are comparable in price, and you get real deal Nites with the Ruger.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
They suck in 9mm as well.

No, really,other than a Colt 2016 LW Commander, the Night Watchman is the
Commander that I'd buy.

They are comparable in price, and you get real deal Nites with the Ruger.
I looked at one of these the other day, handled it at my LGS - it is very, VERY nice, and, apparently is a tack driver, given early reports.

I'd buy one in a second. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1911's are like lays potato chips....
I carried it running errands today, already pondering when / how I might be able to get another steel commander. :guilty:

It is very nice. Makes me want to sample an all-steel Commander-sized 1911-type gun.

I like the look of the ballistics of that load from out of that gun. That load has everything one needs and nothing one doesn't need.
I can't tell any difference in recoil compared to a 5'' gun, except it feels over slightly quicker. :surprised:
I like the night sights, they seem to have a slightly larger white ring than typical.
Balance in hand is just right.
Having the plunger tube integral to the frame rather than staked is a nice touch.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Yes, I've seem more than a few broken 1911s (and other guns) over the years.

The plunger tube is a weak spot.

·
Super Moderator
22,274 Posts
The only bad thing about the plunger tube being integral with the frame is, if you crush one (which I've seen), they are very costly to repair.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 35 Posts