Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to try one at my club a few weeks ago. I loved shooting it. Recall isn't bad.

I have a Super Redhawk 454 in 7.5" but this Snubby has me restless without it.

Anyone have firsthand experience owning one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
No first hand experience, but sure wish they were available when I bought a .44 mag SRH with 7.5" barrel. If I got the Alaskan I'm not sure I'd ever shoot .454 in it, probably just shoot hot 45 Colt or go for a .44.

Finding an acceptable recoil level would certainly be easier if you handload.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I have the Alaskan in 44 mag. I enjoy shooting it from time to time. Put 100 through it in an hour the last time out. Had a custom holster made for it to take up into the Supes a few times.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have the BackPacker same thing in 44. I have shot a wide variety of loads including top loaded 300 Grain WFN GC cast. That will get your attention. I really like shooting midrange 180 grain XTP and a 270 Grain WFN GC hard cast at 44 special velocity. Mine is carried in a Simply Rugged Pancake holster.

I like it and carry it mostly in MTB bike or woods walking.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Congratulations!

Yes, I have an Alaskan. I installed an original-style OEM GP100 grip, which is perfect for my hands. I doubt I will ever fire .454 Casull loads; I wrecked my right hand/wrist in the Eighties with too many big-bore Magnums fired from N-Frames, so will limit myself to .45 Colt, mostly fired left-handed. Texas has no grizzlies, and if I travel to Montana, Alaska, etc., will bring a Benelli M2, too.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congratulations!

Yes, I have an Alaskan. I installed an original-style OEM GP100 grip, which is perfect for my hands. I doubt I will ever fire .454 Casull loads; I wrecked my right hand/wrist in the Eighties with too many big-bore Magnums fired from N-Frames, so will limit myself to .45 Colt, mostly fired left-handed. Texas has no grizzlies, and if I travel to Montana, Alaska, etc., will bring a Benelli M2, too.
I tried shooting it today until I realized that the sights were not at zero from the factory. They were still way off.

I am going to "bake a batch" of 454 since I only had 20 rounds of reloads. Shot 20 more of various factory ammo. It's pretty stout with a touch of pepper.

I looked at the buffalo bore 340 gr. Then I thought the better of it all. I'll stick to it in the 7.5" Super Redhawk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This made me laugh.

I do want a .454 Alaskan, and I'm pretty sure all I'd shoot is .45. I think that's enough bang to make me happy.

The next step would be finding an AIWB holster...
I have a video on my Instagram shooting just a 240 grain 454 one handed. That's pretty damn spicy enough for me. Hahahahaha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
55 Posts
There are two approaches to handling the recoil. Allow for recoil or lock down and absorb it. Hickok45 did a nice video on my Toklat and he advised rolling with it. I prefer the other approach. I lock down on the revolver and absorb it.

The 454 Casull can be a handful, no doubt about it. I have yet to shoot the Underwood 360gr that will be flying out at 1,425 fps. I suspect it will be fairly punishing out of my 5" barrel. I can't imagine it out of a 2.5' barrel.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are two approaches to handling the recoil. Allow for recoil or lock down and absorb it. Hickok45 did a nice video on my Toklat and he advised rolling with it. I prefer the other approach. I lock down on the revolver and absorb it.

The 454 Casull can be a handful, no doubt about it. I have yet to shoot the Underwood 360gr that will be flying out at 1,425 fps. I suspect it will be fairly punishing out of my 5" barrel. I can't imagine it out of a 2.5' barrel.
I'd do it with the Toklat first before I did it de novo with an Alaskan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I like light bullets very fast in these big bore snubbies.
As it's more a handgun for hunting/self defense against large critters and not humans, I prefer the heavy for caliber but generally play with the commercial 240 grainers.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I just picked up a Ruger Kodiak Alaskan 44mag Talo, I have not shot it yet still looking for some ammo, I need to reload so if anyone can give me some ideas of good bullets in hardcast in 180-255gr range that would be great.
View attachment 204481
One nice gun! Congrats

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts