Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about purchasing a compact Ruger American (RAP) over a M&P Shield as my first 45ACP pistol. The RAP are for say right now for around $350 which is cheaper than the Shield and you get more gun and features.

Anyone own both guns, has experience with the RAP, or knows of any others similarly priced firearms I should be looking at?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I own neither but I can tell you that the RAP is going to have better ammo capacity, better sight radius and softer recoil. tiny plastic single stacks in 45ACP are not very fun to shoot more often than not.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Me I would prefer more then 10 round mags esp in a thick double stack gun like that

I like the all steel SAR gun that hold 14 rounds and is like 350

but for the USA made gun the ruger is nice gun just wish they had make it 11 or 12 round mags

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I have a RAP45 it is an excellent pistol. I have to date fired 4000 plus rounds thru it with out problem. Accuracy comparable to S&W 4506 Gen3 and Glock G21 Gen3. No malfunctions. I am not a Ruger person, I dwell more in the house of S&W and Glock. Being left-handed the RAP45 controls are fully ambidextrous. I'm glad I acquired one pleasant handgun to shot with commercial 230Gr-FMJ and my equivalent loads using 5.6Gr HP38/W231. Basic field strip for cleaning simplicity.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Thats a joke because you posted up a 1911 made in Asia.......Ummmm,.....Yea ok,............!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a 45 is a fine weapon and any Ruger is very reliable
Many reliable 1911's now come from the Phillipines. RIA's are proving to be every bit as reliable as a Colt. In fact, Argentina's Systema colts were foreign and made on Colt machinery and fine examples of milspecs as well. The Norinco 1911 milspec is as fine an example of a 1911 as any milspec Colt or SA made 1911.

I assure they, they are not jokes and every bit as reliable as guns made elsewhere at 2-4x the price

·
Registered
100 Posts
as reliable perhaps, but definitely not the same quality...
my first experiences were with RIAs and I refused to touch a 1911 for years, then through a series of dick moves and trollish sales offers I accidentally ended up with a springfield and my entire opinion of 1911s faced a 180 shift. don't know that I'd recommend a RIA to anyone, but I would sooner point to an RIA than an ATI, or para..

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
my first experiences were with RIAs and I refused to touch a 1911 for years, then through a series of dick moves and trollish sales offers I accidentally ended up with a springfield and my entire opinion of 1911s faced a 180 shift. don't know that I'd recommend a RIA to anyone, but I would sooner point to an RIA than an ATI, or para..
Nor would I expect an RIA to be of the same build quality as my 3200.00 Ed Brown. But I don't carry my Kobra Carry Brown, I carry an AO milspec that's had it's internals replaced with Harrison bullet proof parts. I don't expect the AO to be of the same "quality", but it's as reliable as any 1911 made for 3K also, and that's all that concerns me.

In fact, SA's are made in Brazil. You don't own an American 1911 in that SA model either. At least my AO and Brown are made in the USA [ not that that matters to me, but it may to others ]. :wink:

And I'd buy another AO, Norc or RIA over a Colt 1911 every day, all day long. I've experienced the trash Colt has released over the years, been burned by Colts far more times than my RIA, Norc or AO's which have all run without issues right out of the box.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Many reliable 1911's now come from the Phillipines. RIA's are proving to be every bit as reliable as a Colt. In fact, Argentina's Systema colts were foreign and made on Colt machinery and fine examples of milspecs as well. The Norinco 1911 milspec is as fine an example of a 1911 as any milspec Colt or SA made 1911.

I assure they, they are not jokes and every bit as reliable as guns made elsewhere at 2-4x the price
Think he was finding the humor in that pistol recommended was indeed " un-American" since it was made in the P.I.
Also that anything not a Ruger American Pistol wouldnt be a Ruger American Pistol.
Sometimes our attempts at posting humor don't convey the intricate and outstanding subtle nuances that they do in our mind.

Btw, thanks for the additional info.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Go for it!

I've had the full-sized PRO 9mm, and now the RAP Compact PRO 9mm.

The .45 is next on my list, but I have no idea if it will be the
big one or the Compact, as either would be too heavy for me to
carry, yet nice for the range.

The RAP triggers are acceptable to me and seem to get better the more I shoot.

$350 is a good price for a RAP or any striker-fired pistol.

I agree that the small .45s are not so fun to shoot.

My XD-S started beating my hands up and the XD MOD 2
wasn't much better.

As I know a guy who has a new Shield in .45 ACP.

He's not recoil shy and the gun work for him.

The Shield might be easier to hide, so it would depend on how you intend to carry.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In fact, SA's are made in Brazil. You don't own an American 1911 in that SA model either. At least my AO and Brown are made in the USA [ not that that matters to me, but it may to others ].
negative ghost rider, some of their parts are made in brazil, the bulk of the parts and assembly is done in USA.
while I will agree with you that colt is highly overrated and continues to sell mediocre products because they are colt and can get away with it, AO is owned and operated by Kahr and I've seen enough shoddy worksmanship between those two companies to never recommend anything made by them. ed brown is custom fitted work, not really anything that normally comes to mind when talking about mass produced, off the shelf 1911s.

·
Registered
281 Posts
tiny plastic single stacks in 45ACP are not very fun to shoot more often than not.
Respectfully disagree. My Shield 45 is a blast to shoot in my humble opinion. Accurate and light recoil. Also I don't like any pistol with the double trigger mechanism. That's why I bypassed the Glock, XDS, etc. when trying plastic carry guns and for that reason will have to pass up the Ruger as well.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Respectfully disagree. My Shield 45 is a blast to shoot in my humble opinion. Accurate and light recoil. Also I don't like any pistol with the double trigger mechanism. That's why I bypassed the Glock, XDS, etc. when trying plastic carry guns and for that reason will have to pass up the Ruger as well.
^this,

Mine is no harder to shoot than my all steel 1911, where recoil is concerned.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
negative ghost rider, some of their parts are made in brazil,

Those with "ww" or "n" prefix serial numbers are 100% Brazilian. Those with an "NM" serial number prefix are finish machined and assembled from components shipped from Brazil.

the bulk of the parts and assembly is done in USA.

See above

while I will agree with you that colt is highly overrated and continues to sell mediocre products because they are colt and can get away with it, AO is owned and operated by Kahr and I've seen enough shoddy worksmanship between those two companies to never recommend anything made by them.

Do some research on the Kahr made AO 1911's. To a review, since Kahr took over the 1911 production, they've had no major issues whatsoever. I won't speak to other Kahr products, don't own em. Here's what my gunsmith had to say about my AO made by Kahr, after digging into the gun internally replacing parts.===

"OK, y'all; here's what I found in working on Brownie's AO 1911 A1 today.

First, I was shocked at the minimal amount of MIM parts I found in the gun. In short; the hammer. If there were more, they were final finished such that I couldn't find any of their normal "sprue like" identifiers. As most of you know, MIM parts are usually popped out of the mold and used as is; so I really think a decision was made by the manufacturer to use some good quality parts in this pistol.

The quality and fit of the internals was surprising. Barrel fit to bushing and slide, both barrel hood and lugs, was better than many more expensive 1911's I've had on my bench over the years. Lockup of the barrel at both ends is very tight. No end play, side play or barrel springing at the hood at all.

The two series 80 levers, like most, did benefit from polishing on one side. That said, both the plunger and hole in the slide were polished nicely, and the system was timed very well, with no peening of the firing pin evident.

The extractor, while tension was set too heavy, was otherwise fit very well. There is no clocking, and the bottom edge of the extractor groove behind the claw had been perfectly radiused and was highly polished; more evidence of hand fitting by someone who takes pride in their work.

Both the frame ramp and break over angle (often referred to as the "barrel ramp" by many) were well done, and highly polished.

The back side of the slide stop was a bit rough, as were the edges. These days, that's more often found than not, and a bit of judicious stoning ensured that any futher wear of the frame was at an end.

Stoning the trigger bow tracks in the frame was next, working through 220, 320, 400, and 600 grit stones.

Moving on to the upgrades; the new sear, disconnector, and hammer fit very well, though a bit of fitting between the new hammer strut, strut pin and hammer were needed to get things sorted out.

As happens more often than not; the installation of the new ignition set required that the original thumb safety be refitted to the new parts.

Next, the new short trigger had to be fitted, as the trigger pad is left over size, so it can be fitted to the pistol with no top, bottom or sideplay.

After all was complete, an average of eight trigger pulls provided a pull weight five pounds even, with no creep, grit and minimum overtravel. It also provided a very nice reset; so we decided that no adjustments to the sear or disconnector legs of the sear spring were necessary.

Over the next few days, I'll function test the pistol with a variety of 200gr LSWC, 230gr LRN, 230gr ball, 230gr JHP, 230gr JTCHP, and and even some of the old Speer "flying ashtrays." A variety of magazines will be used; including Mecgar, Colt, CheckMate and Wilson 47d eight round mags.

When the pistol makes it through all that with NO malfunctions; I'll return it to our "little old snake oil salesman" at our early April class for his daily carry.

This pistol is a real "sleeper," and I intend to buy one myself in the near future; it really is "that good."

ed brown is custom fitted work, not really anything that normally comes to mind when talking about mass produced, off the shelf 1911s.
It was used in comparing the idea anyone would expect the same quality between makers products

So, I'll recommend AO 1911's by Kahr all day long, based on the above observations from a master smith of 1911's. You won't find just one MIM part in a Colt, nor your SA, and the fit and finish was better on the Kahr than other higher dollar 1911's he's had on his bench. That speaks volumes on how they are building their basic milspec 1911's. I speak to their QC and fit and finish based on having had mine gone through.

After he ran all those loads through it, not one bobble and sent back to me where it's had not one bobble since, with a total round count between the stock parts and the new parts sitting at 1500 or so.

As a side note, I'm not disparaging Colts 1911's. But I lost interest in their offerings after the early 80's and certainly their 1991a1 with the plastic trigger gave everyone a warm and fuzzy. I've had some great Colts over the years, along with carrying a couple of SA milspecs for 28 years while working. I'd carry an RIA that's been rung out as quick as a Colt or my AO.

I've got 650.00 into the AO, it looks like a mutt and has the internals of a custom made high dollar 1911. Can't find a Colt or an SA in that price range with those internals for close to that price. OTH, RIA's are often used as a base gun for a much higher dollar finished product.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
My own experience with RIA pistols has been entirely different. I own four of them and I'm still waiting for my first MALF.

Correction:
I did have some timing issues with the Compact 1911 (.45) when some springs went soft. RIA fixed it, I had it back in 3 weeks.

Before they sent it back to me, they fired 600 test rounds (that's no typo, six hundred) through it. It's been GTG ever since. :smile:

And they all shoot POA, pretty much.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts