Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Yes, I'd like to see what the .45 Compact will be like.

I found the Ruger American 9mm to be pretty big for a 9mm pistol.

Good for the Range or a house gun, but my MOD 2 Service Model would shoot
rings around it.

Not a big fan of the rather flat trigger ( to me) on the 9mm as well.

Reactions: TeflonDon

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
That pistol looks like it could have been designed as a hope for a LE or Military comtract but I don't see ether buying any . . Wonder if it will be around in a couple years .

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ruger never produced the the SR45c , will they ,or are the capable of, producing a Ruger American 45C..

They hadn't produced the 40 S&W American , which LE would be may consider ..

I owned a SR9c and a SR40c ... No fault of the pistols .. I just couldn't warm up to them ..

They abandoned the P series ... I was hoping the P95 would have hung on .. But it was replaced with a fullsized SR9E .. Which I have read that is preferred over the SR9....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just copying Fn's FNS-9c right down to providing the same variety of mags. Still looks bigger in the hands of the man on the video than the FNS compact does to me.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Sorry to disappoint y'all, but I find my SR9C to be an excellent pistol.
Very smooth trigger, nice reset, great grip. If ya don't like the safety features, remove em. Usually $100-150 less than Glocks.

The Ruger Americian 9C has to compare to it. And will have to be priced accordingly.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
To expand on my point, I don't see the need for Ruger to build two separate striker platforms. I think the E variation SR series would be an better focus. 40 and compact E series pistols make more sense to me than an entirely different product line that imo competes directly against the SR pistols.

Reactions: Kennydale

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Makes me wonder if they are thinking of phasing out the SR line. That would be a shame.
Would have been better to make the SR's non Cali compliant. Remove mag disconnect, pop up LCI, and make the safety optional.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I acquired a Ruger RAP9 in February. I am not a Ruger person but I am inquisitive. To date I have crested five thousand rounds fired bench mark with 84% being 124Gr-FMJ and the remaining rounds being self-defense ammunition (Federal-Remington & Speer). I find the RAP9 to be an equivalent service grade full size pistol to my samples of the Glock G17 Gen3 and the S&W MP9. I'll most likely acquire a RAP9c and do comparison testing to my examples of the Glock G19 Gen3 and S&W MP9c as I have with the full size service grade pistols.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I'll pass ugly...............and not that compact after all.
I think Ruger needs a new design team. I like their rifles, revolvers, rim fired handguns, and their KelTec inspired LCP has been OK, but it seems that they've been missing the mark with their centerfire semiautos. None of thir centerfire pistols have shared the popularity of the other firearms in their lineup. It's a very competitive market and they're not going to gain any group by reinterpreting the wheel only uglier.

They need something better looking that in some small way fills a niche that the other competitors do not. Glock has the simplicity thing going for it. M&P has it's following. XDs have unique features that set it apart from the crowd. SIGs are high end and attractive. As someone already stated, Rugers are just "meh."

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Makes me wonder if they are thinking of phasing out the SR line. That would be a shame.
As an SR9c owner, I have a hard time seeing that. The RA9c is 28+ oz unloaded. That's pretty heavy for concealed carry. If they discontinued the SR9c, they would have nothing in 9mm between the LC9s pocket rocket at 17 oz and the RA9c at 28 oz. That's a big gap, considering that an awful lot of popular carry pistols come in between 21 and 24 oz.

I love my SR9c enough that it has replaced my SIG P938 as my EDC, but I don't think I could go another 5 oz, even though I love the design of the American.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would be suprised if Ruger kept the SR series with the American series....

Having said that ,I question why ..? To me , I see no real improvement ..

The 10+1 capacity of tbe Ruger American 45acp & SR45 both are rather large ..

My Taurus PT145 subcompact 45acp with 10+1 capacity..

Unless Ruger wants to make they're fullsize 45acp pistols California friendly..!

·
Registered
7 Posts
As an SR9c owner, I have a hard time seeing that. The RA9c is 28+ oz unloaded. That's pretty heavy for concealed carry. If they discontinued the SR9c, they would have nothing in 9mm between the LC9s pocket rocket at 17 oz and the RA9c at 28 oz. That's a big gap, considering that an awful lot of popular carry pistols come in between 21 and 24 oz.

I love my SR9c enough that it has replaced my SIG P938 as my EDC, but I don't think I could go another 5 oz, even though I love the design of the American.
Yeah my view with ruger semi autos is that they dont make the best of in any class, but theyre still all decent enough and theyre priced right. Not to mention Ruger has some of the best customer service and its US made to boot.

Personally prefer the SR series over the american though. Just get rid of that vestigial safety and its perfect.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Yeah my view with ruger semi autos is that they dont make the best of in any class, but theyre still all decent enough and theyre priced right. Not to mention Ruger has some of the best customer service and its US made to boot.

Personally prefer the SR series over the american though. Just get rid of that vestigial safety and its perfect.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Just want to mention that this is exactly what I was going to say. I'm a Ruger fanboy but I'm well aware that their double stack strikers aren't the leader in any aspect. Decent price though, and so far I've recommended the 9E and 9c to two friends looking to own just one handgun on a bit of a budget.

I drive tacks with my father's SR40c and will end up with my own hopefully soon. As for the American series, no thanks. Like someone already mentioned, they look like an attempt at a military contract (which I could've swore I read somewhere that they actually were) and didn't quite pan out.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I think I will pass...

·
Registered
631 Posts
I bought an SR40c, put about 100 rounds through it and gave it to my dad. After owning that gun for a short time I have a hatred towards 40 S&W and Ruger pistols

1 - 20 of 32 Posts