Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This firearm has good reviews. Most like it overall, but I still cant past the looks of this thing. Compared to the M&P9c it just looks busy and dated styling wise to me. :blackeye:

I see you can buy them for mid to low $300's if you look online. I wonder if these are not selling as well as anticipated.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Am I beating a dead horse? I really wonder how these are selling.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
No horse-cruelty leb, I'm interested in the Ruger American Compact Pistol (WITH the thumb safety). That market is already crowded (even with Ruger offerings) so "topping-the-charts" is an increasingly rare occurrence with ANY manufacture. What hints to you that they're not selling?

As for it not suiting you eye? :rofl: "pretty is as pretty does"

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Not meaning to argue with you, but it's no uglier nor prettier than the 1000 other black plastic pistols out there. Up close like that in high resolution, the M&P9c looks like junk to me. One would think it had leather for a grip and a mag release, but it's obviously a good pistol. The only current poly pistol that doesn't look dated to me at this point is the Beretta APX, and that's only because I can't think of any other pistol right now that has more ridges in it than a Ruffles potato chip.

As for the American selling, without numbers in front of me I don't think it took off like Ruger hoped. The full size just never felt right to me, I just couldn't like it. I do think that the compact is doing slightly better. It's absolutely not a junk gun by any stretch of the imagination. I think perhaps its problem is that it's just another polymer pistol. The market is just saturated with these things, much like the AR market has gotten. People pick one they like and generally stick with it or they develop a brand following.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No horse-cruelty leb, I'm interested in the Ruger American Compact Pistol (WITH the thumb safety). That market is already crowded (even with Ruger offerings) so "topping-the-charts" is an increasingly rare occurrence with ANY manufacture. What hints to you that they're not selling?

As for it not suiting you eye? :rofl: "pretty is as pretty does"
Super low prices. I saw a NIB for $270 on gun broker.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I don't know what Ruger's got in 'em, but I doubt they're dumping them at...a loss. Yet, I do NOT know (...hardly anything, just ask Mrs. GT). :dunno:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I am not a Ruger person. In the past I have acquired their single action and double action revolvers. Used them for awhile then disposed of them by resale. The Ruger RAP9 I acquired in February of 2016 I've fired extensively. The pistol is on par with the Glock Gen3 G17 and S&W MP9-Gen1 Its better than the previously mentioned pistols being amberdictrous where as the Glock and the S&W MP are not. I liked the RAP9 enough to acquire a RAP45. Both pistols have excellent ergonomics. Accuracy is hard to judge based on a sample of (1) but the RAP9 is not less accurate but the equal of the G17 and MP9 if not slightly better.

In closing I believe there have been judgments expressed thus written by other's whom have no hands on usage of the Ruger RAP9 and or RAP45. Opinion with out hands on firing experience is of questionable merit.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I bought and had the Ruger American Compact a few short months ago before I traded it in on one of my HK USP Compact .45's.

I have nothing but good things to say about it from it's cost, rd capacity and the way that it shot. It was very smooth. Easily concealable as well. Very nice pistol man!

Reactions: ghost tracker

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I'm a Ruger guy, but you are better off with a H&K if you, can abide by the
paddle mag lever.

My RAP Compact is just not up to par with my old RAP 9mm.

Since wife wants a Glock 34 with the long slide, so the RAP C will be a meager trade-in.

I pick up a new CZ 9mm soon, so I'll be busy with that.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
paddle mag lever.

Since wife wants a Glock 34 with the long slide, so the RAP C will be a meager trade-in.

You didn't explain why?

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Am I beating a dead horse? I really wonder how these are selling.
They aren't selling. It's a nice gun, but they dropped the ball with the weight and chunkiness. It does nothing better than the competition. If they got rid of tat triangle shape before the mag release, the funky looking billboard grip, and lowered the weight and thickness all for just under $400, they'd have a hit. In the end, I went with the $45 Shield. I just hink when the newness wears off, sales will crawl to a halt. NutNfancy predicted the same.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
It's a very crowded market when it comes to polymer-framed striker-fired pistols. On the plus side, the more out there, the sooner the price is going to come down across the board. People have it in their heads that a good example has to cost $550 and up, when the reality is that almost every brand out there could sell them for $400 and still make a bundle. It's about time some of the savings from those super-cheap molded frames gets passed on to the consumer.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
paddle mag lever.

The paddle magazine release on the HKs are not an issue for me...they never have been!

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I don't know, all I see are cases filled to the brim with black and "earth" plastic guns and the prices don't seem to be coming down. What was a 600 dollar gun 5 years ago is still one, and what was a 350 dollar one then is still one now. As long as people are buying the product, they feel no need for a price drop.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I can only speak for myself. First, I am a Ruger person. For some reason they just fit me. Last year, I got tired of waiting for Ruger to come up with compact .45 and purchased a Springfield Armory XD SC MOD2 .45. It was pretty good but after the RAP 45c was released I got one and for me there is no comparison. The RAP is more accurate, feels better and I reacquire the target quicker. The only downside is capacity. But then again, increased accuracy makes up for that. Needless to say, I will be selling the SA soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have about 400 rnds thru my American Compact and I really like it. It is really smooth, feels good in my hand and comes back on target quickly. Slightly heavier than my M&P 9, but not enough to bother me. I personally think it looks good as well. To each his own. Ruger has never let me down, and this time was no exception.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I waited patiently for years for Ruger to finally come out with a handgun that was not designed by ACLU lawyers. I said repeatedly if they made an SR9 / SR9C with no manual safety and other junk features I would buy one immediately. When they finally tried to make a gun like that I found it grossly underwhelming. The RAP got some stuff right with no manual safety and no horrific loaded chamber indicator, but then for some reason the Ruger designers decided to dump the thin profile and great ergos of the SR9 series for a weird misshapen grip and heavy/wide slide. Even then I tried hard to like it, but just couldn't and did not add one to my small Ruger collection (LC9S Pro, LCP, LCP Custom). Maybe their next version of striker fired perfection will work for me. I hope so as I prefer to buy American.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts