Defensive Carry banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My RAR is becoming a bit of a project gun. I figured instead of running out and buying a gun that is "supposed" to be more accurate I would see just how much accuracy I could squeeze out of the one I have. I have to say - I am having a BLAST! I've never really done any tweaking on my guns so having a project to work on like this is the most fun I have had in a really long time. So far I have tested 6 types of ammo. None match grade but I have 8 different match ammo's on the way that I will test with next.The idea that I am working off of is that's it's a 200.00 rifle and I DONT want to sink a ton of money into it. That defeats the purpose of project for me. I would like to see if a low priced rifle can shoot well enough to be an option to shooters without a lot of cash to not necessarily win local 22 competitions but at least compete and come in some where near the middle. I could afford to sink 1000.00 bucks into a bench rest rig but where's the fun in that!

What I have done so far -

Trigger job - Trigger pull is now about 1.5 pounds. No creep, no over travel. VERY nice. - Cost: Free
Bipod - UTG - It's mediocre at best. There is a lot of play in it and I think it's hurting accuracy. This might be one area it's worth it to spend a bit more cash for higher quality. - Cost: 30.00
Scope - BSA 4x24 - It's a few steps above decent. Not the clearest glass but honestly I think it's plenty for 50 and 100 yards. Eye releif is a little annoying. Ill address this more below. - Cost: 70.00
Barrel free floating - There were a couple of contact points between the action and the stock when I did the dollar bill test. I smoothed those out with some sand paper and a dowel rod - Cost: 3.29

Thing I still need to do

Bed the stock - This is a fairly easy & fairly cost effective thing to do. Going to order the epoky online and give it a try soon.

Play with the Torque - I have heard that RAR's can be sensitive to how much torque are on the 2 screws that hold the stock to the action. I am going to order a torqu driver and try them out at different torqes to see if it makes a difference.

test with better ammo - Ammo makes a big difference in a 22. Going to try some match grade ammo.

Now on to the big thing - My skill as a shooter. Right now I think I am the large missing link. I don't really have much experience shooting rifles other than AR's and AK's. This is the first time I have shoot a bolt action. Also, I'm not used to shooting anything over 6 power magnification and I have never shot prone before. My big problem at the moment is that I am having a hard time getting comfortable behind the gun. Cheek weld+eye relief+keeping the rifle steady is a challenge. I feel that I am having to put my body in such an uncomfortable position that my neck is killing me after 10 mins of shooting and I know my accuracy is hurting because of it. The next day after firing 100 -200 rounds my entire neck and back is sore.

Some things I am looking at

Scope Height - Might need higher or lower rings
Bi-pod height - Might need to be adjusted
Check weld height - May need a higher or lower riser
Eye Relief - May need to be adjust farther up or back

Any other tips or info you could give me concerning getting a more comfortable shooting position would be much appreciated!

Edit- I shot 2 strings with the Aguila super extra as the gun seems to like it quite a bit. That will probably be my go to non match round. I was disapointed in the Federal HV match but then again it's not really "true" match ammo so I can't really complain much.

Shooting sport Circle
Shooting sport Sport venue Recreation Shooting range Circle
Shooting sport Circle Recreation Target archery
Shooting sport Recreation Circle Sport venue
Circle Recreation Shooting sport
Circle Electronics Sport venue

Reactions: Stevew

·
Registered
887 Posts
I recently got a Ruger American Rimfire and love it. It is accurate right out of the box, well accurate enough for me to just have fun and plink with it. Sounds like a fun project to try and get even more accuracy out of yours. For the money it's a good shooter. I threw an old 3-9 Redfield scope I had in the safe on it. This was 30 yds leaning on the hood of my pickup with Remington Golden .22

Circle
Circle

Reactions: Stevew

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Keep the reports coming. I am looking forward hearing what so true match ammo does at longer range.
Have you checked to see how square your your bolt face is?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.