Defensive Carry banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My RAR is becoming a bit of a project gun. I figured instead of running out and buying a gun that is "supposed" to be more accurate I would see just how much accuracy I could squeeze out of the one I have. I have to say - I am having a BLAST! I've never really done any tweaking on my guns so having a project to work on like this is the most fun I have had in a really long time. So far I have tested 6 types of ammo. None match grade but I have 8 different match ammo's on the way that I will test with next.The idea that I am working off of is that's it's a 200.00 rifle and I DONT want to sink a ton of money into it. That defeats the purpose of project for me. I would like to see if a low priced rifle can shoot well enough to be an option to shooters without a lot of cash to not necessarily win local 22 competitions but at least compete and come in some where near the middle. I could afford to sink 1000.00 bucks into a bench rest rig but where's the fun in that!

What I have done so far -

Trigger job - Trigger pull is now about 1.5 pounds. No creep, no over travel. VERY nice. - Cost: Free
Bipod - UTG - It's mediocre at best. There is a lot of play in it and I think it's hurting accuracy. This might be one area it's worth it to spend a bit more cash for higher quality. - Cost: 30.00
Scope - BSA 4x24 - It's a few steps above decent. Not the clearest glass but honestly I think it's plenty for 50 and 100 yards. Eye releif is a little annoying. Ill address this more below. - Cost: 70.00
Barrel free floating - There were a couple of contact points between the action and the stock when I did the dollar bill test. I smoothed those out with some sand paper and a dowel rod - Cost: 3.29

Thing I still need to do

Bed the stock - This is a fairly easy & fairly cost effective thing to do. Going to order the epoky online and give it a try soon.

Play with the Torque - I have heard that RAR's can be sensitive to how much torque are on the 2 screws that hold the stock to the action. I am going to order a torqu driver and try them out at different torqes to see if it makes a difference.

test with better ammo - Ammo makes a big difference in a 22. Going to try some match grade ammo.

Now on to the big thing - My skill as a shooter. Right now I think I am the large missing link. I don't really have much experience shooting rifles other than AR's and AK's. This is the first time I have shoot a bolt action. Also, I'm not used to shooting anything over 6 power magnification and I have never shot prone before. My big problem at the moment is that I am having a hard time getting comfortable behind the gun. Cheek weld+eye relief+keeping the rifle steady is a challenge. I feel that I am having to put my body in such an uncomfortable position that my neck is killing me after 10 mins of shooting and I know my accuracy is hurting because of it. The next day after firing 100 -200 rounds my entire neck and back is sore.

Some things I am looking at

Scope Height - Might need higher or lower rings
Bi-pod height - Might need to be adjusted
Check weld height - May need a higher or lower riser
Eye Relief - May need to be adjust farther up or back

Any other tips or info you could give me concerning getting a more comfortable shooting position would be much appreciated!

Edit- I shot 2 strings with the Aguila super extra as the gun seems to like it quite a bit. That will probably be my go to non match round. I was disapointed in the Federal HV match but then again it's not really "true" match ammo so I can't really complain much.

IMG_1582.JPG IMG_1583.JPG IMG_1584.JPG IMG_1585.JPG IMG_1586.JPG IMG_1587.JPG

Reactions: Stevew

·
Registered
887 Posts
I recently got a Ruger American Rimfire and love it. It is accurate right out of the box, well accurate enough for me to just have fun and plink with it. Sounds like a fun project to try and get even more accuracy out of yours. For the money it's a good shooter. I threw an old 3-9 Redfield scope I had in the safe on it. This was 30 yds leaning on the hood of my pickup with Remington Golden .22

IMG_20160710_115320969.jpg IMG_20160710_115332167.jpg

Reactions: Stevew

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Keep the reports coming. I am looking forward hearing what so true match ammo does at longer range.
Have you checked to see how square your your bolt face is?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts