Defensive Carry banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some time I have wanted a Ruger American in a 308. Already own a couple factory refurbished M24's but a light weight good 308 was on my list. Last summer nephew purchased one and I had the chance to put rounds down range with it. 600 yards was the limit at his range and the Ruger had no problem with that with off the shelf ammo.
Yesterday I woke up saw an ad for the American combo and hit the send key. Normally I do not buy firearms on line but this was a case of a fair price and it was easy. In store pick up so no extra FFL cost or shipping. No surprise it was back ordered right away.
I was also looking at the Remington 700 at a lower cost, but cost is not everything and the Ruger offered more value for me. Family first, after that my two interest are Motorcycle and firearms. If those two things are my biggest sin then I think I am ok.
Not a real gun nut but welcoming a new firearm is a slight rush. Having already had the chance to use one like I purchased, pretty sure nothing will need changing it will serve me fine right out of the box. Pretty much every Ruger product I have purchased over many years has done so.
The combo is coming with a Vortex crossfire ll 3-9X40 scoped factory mounted. Not a high end scope but it should do fine for this weapon.
Vortex has been making it's mark in the industry.
Never say never, this is the first time I have found a fair price on a weapon I wanted at Cabela's.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
For some time I have wanted a Ruger American in a 308. Already own a couple factory refurbished M24's but a light weight good 308 was on my list. Last summer nephew purchased one and I had the chance to put rounds down range with it. 600 yards was the limit at his range and the Ruger had no problem with that with off the shelf ammo.
Yesterday I woke up saw an ad for the American combo and hit the send key. Normally I do not buy firearms on line but this was a case of a fair price and it was easy. In store pick up so no extra FFL cost or shipping. No surprise it was back ordered right away.
I was also looking at the Remington 700 at a lower cost, but cost is not everything and the Ruger offered more value for me. Family first, after that my two interest are Motorcycle and firearms. If those two things are my biggest sin then I think I am ok.
Not a real gun nut but welcoming a new firearm is a slight rush. Having already had the chance to use one like I purchased, pretty sure nothing will need changing it will serve me fine right out of the box. Pretty much every Ruger product I have purchased over many years has done so.
The combo is coming with a Vortex crossfire ll 3-9X40 scoped factory mounted. Not a high end scope but it should do fine for this weapon.
Vortex has been making it's mark in the industry.
Never say never, this is the first time I have found a fair price on a weapon I wanted at Cabela's.
That's not a bad price with the scope included... Make sure you post pics after you finally get your paws on it. You plan in using it to hunt with?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Congrats, looking forward to a review when you get your hands on it! I was just looking at the base model and the Predator model yesterday, The American in .308 is at the top of my list.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats, looking forward to a review when you get your hands on it! I was just looking at the base model and the Predator model yesterday, The American in .308 is at the top of my list.
I have no issue with 30-06 Just already have enough of them. getting old all firearms will be passed down and I know sons like the 308.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
My son has one in 30.06, it's very nice. For the money I have not seen a better value.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Very good choice! IMO the Ruger American is a far greater value than its low price! I have an older Remington 700 BDL and a buddy purchased a Ruger American (same caliber) about 2 years ago. The Ruger will actually out shoot my 700 BDL (not by alot) for almost half of what I payed for the BDL years ago! Out of the box the Ruger had a FAR better trigger, mine had to have a little work to get it right. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Buddy of mine has one in .270 and its a nice rifle. I'd also agree that as far as budget rifles are concerned, the American is probably the best deal. Being a Ruger fan and having a huge preference for tang safeties, I'm probably going to pick up an American in 7mm-08 soon. I've heard very good things about Vortex optics from all of the LGS I frequent, two of them being a dealer.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I like my American in 270, although it took a little work on the stock to actually get it free floated. Other than that and a little time to figure out the right ammo it now shoots consistent 1.5" groups at 100 yards, and often will do a bit better.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The rest of the story,
Black Friday I ordered a 308 Ruger American online. With Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 Bead-hold BDC Reticle factory installed. Why because I wanted it. I compared the Remington ,and the Savage to it. The other two were low cost good rifles. The difference however made up for the difference in cost. for me. I was not looking for a low cost purchase but one that would do what I wanted. In my hand picked up at Cabela's Gun scope tax and all the stuff $479.99.(5%discount for Vets)
The weapon arrived at Cabela's in 6 1/2 days well ahead of what they projected. My experience with Cabela's was great in everyway. When I went to pick it up in and out in a flash. I was surprised at how fast the instant back round check went.
Inspected the weapon before excepting it found it good to go. A peep down the scope(at home) showed it to be clear and I like the hash marks they do not get in the way very fine and easy to see. The factory eye relief was is right on for me. It is a Ruger made right nothing missing. I will post some pictures latter and try to get it fired this weekend. Busy day tomorrow and have an Army dinner to be at.
Adjustable trigger 3 -5 pounds
Simple easy to use safety
Free float barrel
Factory installed scope that research show will do just fine.
3 lug bolt
70% throw on bolt yes.
4 round detachable mag
6.1 pounds without scope
22 inch barrel
1 in 10 twist

Another Black rifle in the hands of a dying breed a free American.

Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took it out back this morning. Cool 31 degrees 5-10 mph wind damp and over cast 100 yards . I like it. The trigger is great The vortex scope seems to be up to the task . The 70% throw on the bolt is quick and smooth, never gets near the scope. Only one issue with it. In the cold the stock seems to be a little slippery. I will deal with that.
Another day I put it to a real test. I just could not look at it sitting on the kitchen table another day with out firing it.

Reactions: wizard7mm08

·
Registered
631 Posts
I bought a Ruger American in .270 to be a backup for my Ruger M77 in .270. After having it for a few months I found out the American is more accurate than the M77. Not a bad rifle and scope combo for 500 bucks.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought a Ruger American in .270 to be a backup for my Ruger M77 in .270. After having it for a few months I found out the American is more accurate than the M77. Not a bad rifle and scope combo for 500 bucks.
I have a Ruger m77 .223 that is over twenty years old. The day I purchased it took it out of the box ,laid it across the hood of the car and sighted the head light on a junk car on the hill. Cross hairs on target and shot. head light gone. 400 yards. told son to leave just as it was. His wife now uses it to thin out coyotes .

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I have the Ruger American in .308 (Navy Camo). Iwish I had gotten it in black.

I may eventually cover it with an applied camo pattern.

It is a sweet shooter for the money (I paid $349 w/o the scope as I already had one).

Adjustable trigger is a plus. Also got the Ruger Cheek Pad free as part of the deal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nice. I got this package deal as well. After I lock tighted the scope rings I was able to shoot 3/4" MOA out of the box with 168 Grain sierra match. My buddy was pissed I was doing so well against his Rem 700. It is a stellar deal. The only trouble is they use crappy ploymer magazines that feed like crap. I called and they sent me a new one for free. Haven't tried it out since I got free one. Seems those are hit or miss. Why do these bolt gun manufacturers avoid using a standard mag. Lancer makes some killer AR 10 mags. 5 rounders would be stellar! Plus option of running 10 rounders. Or 25? Hehehe. If you won't give me capacity, please at least stop using pieces of **** that don't load properly.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Heres a Ruger in .308 with 10 round magazines. It costs a lil more than the American and the bullets are going to fly a little slower with a 16 inch barrel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts