Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few years, I've been seeing less and less Ruger Autos at the range in the CCW classes.

I've also noticed that on this forum it seems that they dont come up much in the discussions.

Any reasons for this ? I've got my own opinions, but Id like to see what yall think.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I have a Ruger P-90 my only centerfire ruger auto

While It is a flawless gun runs eats everything and eject's brass 2 counties over..

Its Blocky Too blocky to carry IWB plus its noisy seems to rattle everytime ya move if your carrying it especially the mag.

If it was only thing i had and couldn't afford anything else i could live with it as my carry gun ..

But since i can afford better it either sits in the safe or makes a rotation as the bedside table gun

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I have heard of the P90's toughnes. I just don't like the style of ruger's semis'.
Large and blocky frame is pretty descriptive.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I do not know- I have a Ruger P95 with manual safety, and it works perfectly. It is chunky, but so what? Beauty is and beauty does. I believe the Ruger guns are excellent values, both autos and the revolvers.
I have heard some complaints about the P345.
God Bless

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a P97 DC. I never intended it to be a carry gun, I just wanted another 45 ACP and it was priced right. But I do carry it once in awhile. It's definitely the heaviest pistol I own.

RH

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The only Ruger Semi-auto pistol I have is a Mark II. I don't care for the feel of their centerfire autos, but their rimfire pistols are superb.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I had a P97DC. Good gun, reliable, accurate.

Clunky, though, like everyone says. And the grip was way too thick for my little hands.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I still have my trusty P95DC - and also a P97DC - and still like them both a lot.

They both get shot but seldom - main reason is carry is geared around SIG's and so practice is with those. To have time for fun shooting with P series is not too often.

I'll bet this is a similar reason for other folks. Good shooting guns - tough as all get out and reliable but yes - too ''blocky'' for carry these days. I shall keep mine for periodical enjoyment and spare categorization.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was looking at some Ruger Semi-autos on the web tonight actually... You don't really hear anything bad about Ruger, let alone anything... Maybe thats a good thing...!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
:redface: I gotta be careful of what I say.
The semi's I like from ruger are the .22's. I love my bull barrelled 22/45.
The barrel is standard length and its amazing how accurate that pistol is. I'd be willing to say it easily rivals the K22 that I have ! :hand10:

·
Super Moderator
16,826 Posts
I have a P89DC I was given one Christmas, great gun but as others have said, too big for concealed carry. Lots of fun at the range though.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
I've shot my brother's P90 several times and enjoyed it. It performs great and I can shoot it pretty well. He says there's something wrong with it one time we were shooting. He couldn't hit a 5 gallon paint bucket at 15 yards. So I load up a mag and put all 7 in the logo of the paint company LOL. I told him if he ever wanted to get rid of it that I would buy it from him.

I see plenty of Rugers in the gun shops I go to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got a p94 tuked away in the safe. I shoot it now and again. It's always perfomed flawlessly. But for me it way to restrictive for a CCW. kinda feels like you got a brick tied to you side!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Ruger's semi's are as tough as nails and are reliable to a fault. I have two and if you want a semi in a survival situation, pick a Ruger.

My best guess as to why there is little talk of them in concealed carry circles is their ergonomics. From a CC standpoint, they are large, heavy and not very CC "friendly". Because of this, they aren't considered by many people a primary CC weapon, but rather a home defense or range gun.

If Ruger ever make's a smaller, CC friendly semi (like CZ's RAMI or the Para Warthog), I'll be first in line to give it a try.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Rugers aregreat guns....considered "overbuilt" by some--this adding weigh and bulk. They are utterly reliable though and seem to shoot whatever they are fed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've got a P93DC and it runs like a top.

It is a bit bulky, but that doesn't concern me. What I don't like and would like to find a way to improve is the amount of "takeup" the trigger has. It's worse in DA (about a half inch of slack) than SA (only a quarter inch).

The weight of it makes the recoil of a 9mm ridiculously light.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I own a P89 and P345PR, the P-89 is a thick pistol, but the P345 is alot slimmer, and practically invisible in my K&D cochise defender IWB holster, and she's a very fine weapon also...When you were in your CHL course, which manufactuer firearm did you see the most?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I have a P94 Stainless in .40 caliber. I like the way it looks, feels and shoots. Field stripping and reassembly is very easy. I have CC'ed with it - but - it is a little large for that & I mostly CC with one of my others.
I do wish Ruger would make some smaller .45's and other calibers better suited for CC.
I heard a gunshop guy say a long time ago they asked one of the Ruger reps about this and he said Ruger wasn't interested in making anything geared for CC. That's a shame.
Oh, I also love my Crimson Trace grips for it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts