Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Blackhawk will have "8 beans in the wheel" and the GP100 will be a "seven shooter"!

The Blackhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel will be "the cat's pajamas" for an all-around "woodstramping" as well as medium-sized game hunting revolver! (If you can't take a whitetail deer with a 115-grain Gold Dot hollowpoint leaving that barrel at 1725 fps, you would be better off taking up knitting!)

Scott

·
Registered
66 Posts
I too am pretty impressed with the ballistics of the 327FedMag and have been inches from buying an SP101 in the same chambering for my wife.

I would definitely like one of those blackhawks, but none of the local gun shops seem too interested in them. Good thing I live 35 miles from the factory....

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Now if we could get Winchester and Marlin to introduce lever actions 327 FEDMAG the fate of the 327 would not be in question. The stew pot runneth over. Varmits beware. I was hoping they would release 327 in Single Six, or even a Bearcat weight platform. But the Blackhawk 8 hole will work just fine.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If Ruger would have put the 327 in the Single Six I would have been impressed. The Blackhawk and GP100 are just too heavy for a Trail Gun, which is what a 327 is. If I am carrying that much weight it will be a .357, 44 or 45 LC.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Now if we could get Winchester and Marlin to introduce lever actions 327 FEDMAG the fate of the 327 would not be in question. The stew pot runneth over. Varmits beware. I was hoping they would release 327 in Single Six, or even a Bearcat weight platform. But the Blackhawk 8 hole will work just fine.
Well, first, you'd have to convince Winchester to start making lever actions again...last time I checked, production of the '94 ceased a couple years ago, and has never been restarted.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I dont think they will ever put that in a Single Six platform, the 22LR/Mag will own that spot forever i believe. The SP-101 will probably be the smallest available in 327. I think a good ol'e six shot Blackhawk in 327 would be nice, not too heavy.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I can see the 8 shot Blackhawk in a 7 1/2 inch as a Varmit hunter and if you didn't already own a 6 inch 6 shot .357 magnum I could see owning one in a 5 and half inch barrel to fill that role... but I still don't think it has the versatility of the .357/38 in that role. I see very little use for it myself.

·
Registered
181 Posts
One more cartridge to excite the market. It doesn't do anything better than a .357, so if you have to have one, by all means get one.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You haven't seen what happens when they rechamber a 6 1/2" barreled S&W Model 16 (in .32 H&R Magnum) for the .327 Fed. Mag, have you? It has taken a number of deer, bobcats and other rather tenacious game.

Think about it.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
You haven't seen what happens when they rechamber a 6 1/2" barreled S&W Model 16 (in .32 H&R Magnum) for the .327 Fed. Mag, have you? It has taken a number of deer, bobcats and other rather tenacious game.

Think about it.
Does it do a better job than a 686?

Bravo Foxtrot Delta.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I agree, the 327 is best suited as a varmit cartridge in open country. How does this best the 357 / 38 in anyway? I just don't see it.
It would make a great Jack Rabbit lever gun but a .223 is better..............

·
Registered
152 Posts
If Ruger would have put the 327 in the Single Six I would have been impressed. The Blackhawk and GP100 are just too heavy for a Trail Gun, which is what a 327 is. If I am carrying that much weight it will be a .357, 44 or 45 LC.
I'm with you RebelRabbi, the weight to payload ratio doesn't work for me. I hope nobody tries to take a whitetail with one. Would be more of a stunt than a sporting proposition.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It has been done numerous times with converted Single-Sixes and Model 16-4 revolvers. The beauty of this arrangement is the light recoil and multiple cartridge capability. It shoots the .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum and .327 Fed Magnum. You can only load the .38 Special so light. While it may not have the use on heavier game, the .327 Federal will perform beter than you think.

There's been a 9.5" barreled Ruger Single-Six in .32 H&R Magnum, that's been relisted a number of times. Rechambering that for the .327 Fed. Mag. would be an easy operation, and it would be an effective hunting revolver.

Perhaps you should try thinking "outside the box" for a change.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
I agree, the 327 is best suited as a varmit cartridge in open country. How does this best the 357 / 38 in anyway? I just don't see it.
It would make a great Jack Rabbit lever gun but a .223 is better..............
A 32 cal revolver doesn't best the 357/38. But there is a valid application for it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
.327mag =.45gap Both answers to questions nobody asked.
Perhaps, but it can chamber .32 H&R Mag, which is a great cartridge. I see a .327 Blackhawk in my future, though it may never see any .327 ammunition.

·
8,501 Posts
I can see the .327 as a carry gun where it gives you one more round in a compact revolver. That one extra round might save your life. With that said though, once you get to a full size hand gun I'd prefer a full size cartridge. It just won't out do any of its competitors in a full size gun.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Itbeats the daylights out of the old .32-20 revolver; shootng a higher-pressure cartridge then the old .32-20 revolvers could ever DREAM of doing!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Threads about the 327 keep popping up, must be gaining ground. From what I have read I would get one if smith made one in scandium, snubby of course.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts