Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I maintain a healthy interest in single stack 9mm handguns and the Ruger is particularly appealing to me, in large part due to their customer service and willingness to adapt to customer input.

I believe the LC9s Pro model has been out at least a couple years now and wonder if you folks who use them for EDC are happy with your choice? Any issues with failure to slide lock or accidental mag releases? Any issues with self defense ammo? Practice ammo?

Thanks for your wisdom.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I maintain a healthy interest in single stack 9mm handguns and the Ruger is particularly appealing to me, in large part due to their customer service and willingness to adapt to customer input.

I believe the LC9s Pro model has been out at least a couple years now and wonder if you folks who use them for EDC are happy with your choice? Any issues with failure to slide lock or accidental mag releases? Any issues with self defense ammo? Practice ammo?

Thanks for your wisdom.
Mine has been flawless and other than Talon grips it is good to go. Now having said that I just realized I did have one failure to feed with the extended 9 round magazine with Federal HST 147+P. With the 7 rounders it has been flawless with HST as that is what I use for self defense ammo. It has a great trigger and is easy to shoot. I am very happy with it and I have many single stack 9's...many of them. If you want to carry this IWB then it is perfect for that. It is small, lightweight and easy to conceal. I would not hesitate to get it for that purpose. As a range gun only not so much. I would go with one of the larger single stacks for that

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
My lc9s pro has been flawless... I have a couple hundred rounds through it but I bought it used as well. Mine has fiber optic night sights, and it is a sweet shooter. The trigger is a bit light for some tastes, mine breaks right at five lbs. It is very thin in the grip and not the best feel for me but I shoot it very well, it carries effortlessly and it eats anything I stuff in it. I would highly recommend

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
IMO I'm not a PRO yet, but I have a Ruger LC9. Hope my experiences worth for you :)
It's one of my favorite single stack 9mm for concealed, no problems since bought it last year, been shot couple of hundred rounds here, no issues with slide,mag or ammo. A little 'upgrade' for the grip will make it much better :D

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't have the pro but have the LC9s. I love everything about the gun: the ergonomics, conceal ability, trigger, accuracy, and weight.....but admittedly I would have purchased the pro if it was out when I bought mine.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Don't have the Pro but I've had the standard for almost two years and I am completely satisfied with it. The only change I made was adding the Talon grip.It makes a sweet shooter even sweeter. In fact I'm wearing it right now!!!!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
I don't have one, but have shot at the range. If I didn't already have the Shield, I'd buy an LC9s Pro in a flash. I really liked how it shot and love the smooth lines of the Ruger.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good input. Thanks very much. I've got a FDE Ruger LCP and added rubberized Traction Grips, which greatly enhanced my ability to hold the gun on target, especially in rapid fire drills and competition. My goal is to rent an LC9s at a range and see what its like before making a purchase decision. I have a good stockpile of Federal HST in 124 grain, both standard pressure and +P, so hopefully that would suit the gun.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I do agree that the LC9 is the sexiest of the flat 9s. Shields just look weird to me, and the Glock 43 looks too much like a Glock (I'm kidding).

I had a 43 for a short while and realized that I could easily conceal a 26 or my 1911 Commander, so why bother with a flat 9? For me, it's a solution without a problem. If I was trying to get a tiny 9mm, I'd get a P938 or a Keltec P-11 which is virtually the same size as the LC9 (or slightly smaller!) but is 10+1. The Keltec takes a bit of getting used to, but after a 300-400 rounds I shot mine well before I sold it in a moment of weakness.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Good input. Thanks very much. I've got a FDE Ruger LCP and added rubberized Traction Grips, which greatly enhanced my ability to hold the gun on target, especially in rapid fire drills and competition. My goal is to rent an LC9s at a range and see what its like before making a purchase decision. I have a good stockpile of Federal HST in 124 grain, both standard pressure and +P, so hopefully that would suit the gun.
Mine functioned flawlessly with the 124 and 124 +P HST as well.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do most of you used a grip wrap to improve the texture and control of the weapon during rapid-fire drills and competition? I've found the rubberized Traction Grips to be very helpful with the LCP and Gen 3 Glocks.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
I have had good results with Talon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
Not sure something with a barrel less than 5" would be a "target" pistol... ;)
Well try out a HK P7M8 (not a true target pistol lol) as they are incredibly accurate. More so than most "5" target pistols. In your defense my Sig Level One X-5 is more accurate than my P7M8

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have the LC9s, which has been flawless. My only issue is that my trigger finger gets very sore. It is as though the trigger is kicking back after the shot. Any one else experiencing this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts