Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been attracted to single stack 9mm hand guns for quite some time now and owned two Glock 43s last fall but couldn't trust the slide lock due to my right thumb holding it down with my normal grip ... thus it was hit-or-miss on whether it would lock back on the last round. It was a deal breaker and I sold the guns, returning to the Gen 4 Glock 26, which is my favorite Glock in terms of reliability and accuracy. I shoot the G26 in action pistol matches on a regular basis and do pretty well, given my age (65) and slight infirmities when it comes to vision (floaters, etc.).

Has anyone carried and shot a Ruger LC9s Pro for any length of time? Any issues with the slide stop lever and your thumb? If I get a positive response on this forum, I might try to rent one. How is the trigger? Especially compared to a Glock?

Thanks much for your experiences.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
I used to have an original LC9 and never had any troubles with my thumb interfering with the slide lock.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
The pro is an excellent firearm. I have had 0 problems with mine. Carry it everyday and always run 100 t0 500 rounds through it each trip to range.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
None for me. I have my thumbs below and alongside the trigger guard. Started using that grip when I bought the LC9s Pro because the trigger guard kept grabbing my thumb (and nail) on recoil.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far, so good. I've found a local range that has a LC9s for rent, so I'll probably give it a whirl in the near future.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have run thousand X 2 through my LC9s it is really an out standing defensive weapon. Easy to shoot reliable Harley noticeable when carried IWB. Now I shoot mostly 115 grain through mine and carry DRT 85 grain.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The LC9S Pro has the best trigger I have seen. However, my thumb would frequently hit the slide lock during recoil causing the slide to lock back. This is a no go for me on a def3nsive pistol. Might work for some, but it doesn't fit my hand well. I went back to a Sig Sauer P290RS. No issues for me. I just had to get used to the DAO trigger again. No biggie. I shoot it fast and accurate.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Friend has one that would lock back when rapid fire practice, he just disassembled the pistol and took the slide lock out.

He has had no problems since, when the gun runs dry he just trains to drop mag and insert new one and rack the slide.

He never used the slide lock lever anyway but always pulled back on the slide to chamber a new round from new mag, therefore it was a easy training for him.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like I might run in to similar problems. Think I'll try renting one; if it doesn't work out, I'll just accept less comfort, but the reliability, accuracy and all the other positive attributes of the Glock 26.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Never had an issue with the slide lock on my LC9 or LC9s Pro. Love the Pro, never could get comfortable with the trigger on the original version. Had issues with the magazine lock on the original too, but that was dependent on which magazine I used. Italian made magazines were better than the ones made in the USA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts