Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I bought a Ruger LCP 2. However I quickly sold it because every time I fired it the Magazine would fall out. I bought a Glock 42 and over the last few years I have only had a couple Malfunctions and I could not be happier with it. Lately I have been thinking I had a very poor grip when shooting the LCP 2 and that it might have been all my fault for the malfunctions. Should I purchase another one and give it another try? The LCP 2 is such a cool little pocket Gun and I would love to shoot it if I could grip it properly and get reliable service from it. What do you think? Should I buy a Hogue grip for it ? The Talon grips I put on it did not help me. Let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I might rent one at a range first. I own one and have never had an issue with the mag falling out during shooting, the release button is stiff on mine. I have the Hogue grip (can't recall the name) that fattens up the grip a bit on mine and it has helped with proper grip and control a good bit IMHO.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
If the roster is not an issue, I would opt for the Sig 365. I had an original LC9 and sold it. It is the only gun I have sold and I do not miss it. I can see the attraction of the small auto, I carry a J frame often.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PPS 1980, I would so rent one but in Commifornia they are a Law Enforcement only Gun so the Gun Ranges don't rent them. I am going to talk to the Guy at the Range I go to and see if he knows some one that would let me shoot there's

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big John, thanks for the tip, I will you tube the Sig and check it out. How much do thy go for? Is your J frame a 357 mag 5 shot?

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Both the LCP and LCP II benefit tremendously from the pin on Hogue grip... at least for me there is a big difference! I just couldn't get a good grip on my LCP prior to installing the pin on Hogue grip!:para:

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Big John, thanks for the tip, I will you tube the Sig and check it out. How much do thy go for? Is your J frame a 357 mag 5 shot?
I carry a SW 442. The Sig 365, like the LCP 2 would be LEO only as they are not on the Roster of Handguns approved for sale in CA. The local shop around here has a 365 for $550 I believe, but dont hold me to that price.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I just bought an LCP II a week and a half ago, and the jury's still out. Right off the bat, I noticed a few things, before even going to the range. First, all 6 mags would only insert halfway unless I pressed in the mag release. Did some googling and found that it's a known break-in thing. Slamming home the mags a few dozen times cleared up that problem. Then I noticed that with an empty mag inserted and the slide back, if I pulled and released the slide while holding the slide lock lever down, the slide would not close. It appeared to be catching somewhere on the back of the mag. After a range trip, that problem has gone away. Both of these issues suggest that there's some mating/wearing in of parts that needs to happen when this gun is new.

So it went to the range last Thursday. After all that I have read about how snappy this gun is, along with the fact that I have arthritis in my hands, I was very apprehensive about how much I'd be able to shoot it. Turns out it wasn't so bad. It IS snappy, but I went 250 rounds, and could have gone longer, although my hands were getting tired. I was shooting 6-round flush, 6-round pinky extension, and 7-round mags, and was surprised to find that the 7-round mags were the least comfortable. I have severe arthritis in the pinky of my shooting hand, and those mags hit it just right.

Given that this was my first trip with the smallest semi-auto I've ever owned, I did the first box of ammo at 5 yards, and all the rest at 7 yards. Once I realized that I had to use a 6-o'clock hold, the gun was quite accurate for me, better than I usually was with my P938 or my LC9s. I have to say, snappiness notwithstanding, I enjoyed shooting it.

So the downside was that I had 7 failures to extract in 250 rounds, 5 in 150 rounds of Speer Lawman 95 FMJ, and 2 in 100 rounds of SIG Elite 100 FMJ. All 7 failures looked exactly the same with the front of the case right at or slightly in the mouth of the chamber and the back of the case up against the slide. 5 times, I was able to just pull the case out of the top and the slide slammed home while chambering the next round. For the other 2, I had to drop the mag and lock the slide back to get the case out. Given the size of this pistol, my first thought was a bad grip, but I was holding that thing as tight as I could. Also, it could have had something to do with the whole "wearing in of parts" thing.

I did a thorough cleaning yesterday (extractor looks fine), marked all my mags, and I'll be going back to the range this week, so we'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I just bought an LCP II a week and a half ago, and the jury's still out. Right off the bat, I noticed a few things, before even going to the range. First, all 6 mags would only insert halfway unless I pressed in the mag release. Did some googling and found that it's a known break-in thing. Slamming home the mags a few dozen times cleared up that problem. Then I noticed that with an empty mag inserted and the slide back, if I pulled and released the slide while holding the slide lock lever down, the slide would not close. It appeared to be catching somewhere on the back of the mag. After a range trip, that problem has gone away. Both of these issues suggest that there's some mating/wearing in of parts that needs to happen when this gun is new.

So it went to the range last Thursday. After all that I have read about how snappy this gun is, along with the fact that I have arthritis in my hands, I was very apprehensive about how much I'd be able to shoot it. Turns out it wasn't so bad. It IS snappy, but I went 250 rounds, and could have gone longer, although my hands were getting tired. I was shooting 6-round flush, 6-round pinky extension, and 7-round mags, and was surprised to find that the 7-round mags were the least comfortable. I have severe arthritis in the pinky of my shooting hand, and those mags hit it just right.

Given that this was my first trip with the smallest semi-auto I've ever owned, I did the first box of ammo at 5 yards, and all the rest at 7 yards. Once I realized that I had to use a 6-o'clock hold, the gun was quite accurate for me, better than I usually was with my P938 or my LC9s. I have to say, snappiness notwithstanding, I enjoyed shooting it.

So the downside was that I had 7 failures to extract in 250 rounds, 5 in 150 rounds of Speer Lawman 95 FMJ, and 2 in 100 rounds of SIG Elite 100 FMJ. All 7 failures looked exactly the same with the front of the case right at or slightly in the mouth of the chamber and the back of the case up against the slide. 5 times, I was able to just pull the case out of the top and the slide slammed home while chambering the next round. For the other 2, I had to drop the mag and lock the slide back to get the case out. Given the size of this pistol, my first thought was a bad grip, but I was holding that thing as tight as I could. Also, it could have had something to do with the whole "wearing in of parts" thing.

I did a thorough cleaning yesterday (extractor looks fine), marked all my mags, and I'll be going back to the range this week, so we'll see what happens.
I experienced the same thing with the magazines with my LCP II when it was new. It also starts misbehaving when dirty, say after 150 - 200 shots. I can wipe off the feed ramp and inside the chamber with a cleaning cloth and it straightens up for another 100 - 150 shots.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
A few years ago I bought a Ruger LCP 2. However I quickly sold it because every time I fired it the Magazine would fall out. I bought a Glock 42 and over the last few years I have only had a couple Malfunctions and I could not be happier with it. Lately I have been thinking I had a very poor grip when shooting the LCP 2 and that it might have been all my fault for the malfunctions. Should I purchase another one and give it another try? The LCP 2 is such a cool little pocket Gun and I would love to shoot it if I could grip it properly and get reliable service from it. What do you think? Should I buy a Hogue grip for it ? The Talon grips I put on it did not help me. Let me know what you think.
Hard to beat the LCPII for concealability. The Beretta Pico, Kahr P380/CW380, Seacamp, etc., are in the same category, but the LCP has proven to be more of "Everyman's little pistol". I've had a Hogue grip and didn't like it. Mine wears Talons.

·
Registered
10,857 Posts
Both the LCP and LCP II benefit tremendously from the pin on Hogue grip... at least for me there is a big difference! I just couldn't get a good grip on my LCP prior to installing the pin on Hogue grip!:para:
Have to respectfully disagree. Adds bulk and makes it tacky and harder to draw cleanly from a pocket.

I stupidly bought three of those grips for our trio of LCPs. Removed them almost immediately from my two...my wife still uses it as she doesn’t pocket carry her LCP.

Two Hogue LCP grips, free to a good home...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Big John, even though I live in commifornia at least I am a LEO so I can buy the good stuff, I imagine so are you.:para:

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have had a LCP II for a couple of years and never had any problems with it at all.
I pocket carry it from the time I get up in the morning until I go to bed in a Boraii trigger guard holster.

It has been 100% reliable at the range and I practice drawing and firing while moving often but it is not a lot of fun to shoot but It will get the job done.
My main carry pistol is a 365 but it is too big for me to pocket carry all the time. I go OWB or IWB and it has been a great gun and mine is one of the earlier ones. I do enjoy shooting it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts