Defensive Carry banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I went to the range today with our Ruger and Sig .380 pistols.. We wanted to see just how much more user friendly and accurate the Sig was.
It was really NO contest.. the SIG was simply far superior to both LCP Models, the Custom and the LCP II.
SO much more accurate that it wasn't even funny. I had to consistently aim the Ruger LCP Custom high and right to get near the center I was aiming at..
If I aimed center I was low left of center by a lot at about 7 yards.. I really do like the little LCP's but compared to other pistols we have like the Sig and my Shield,
I am becoming more dissatisfied over time with their accuracy and reliability. Not happy about the fact that the Custom wants t be cleaned every 30-40 rounds, otherwise it starts malfunctioning big time until cleaned again.
I am now thinking of ditching the LCP Custom, and trading it on a Sig P938.
The LCP series pistol is a nice little gun, priced right and beautifully concealable, but I guess there is a reason the new Sig costs over double what the new LCP II cost.
There is a huge difference in the feel, quality, accuracy and "shootability"...One of these LCP's [probably the Custom] is likely going to be traded in on a new Sig P 938.
I do have a 9mm Shield, but if the SIG 938 is as good as the 238, it would be a really superior 9mm CCW... bob

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
The Sig is a nice gun. Very different than the LCP, though. SA trigger with a thumb safety. If you aren't used to the thumb safety, it will require substantial retraining before sweeping the safety becomes ingrained. Slightly larger and heavier, which can make a difference.

We have three Gen 1 LCPs in the family. My wife has the first. Other than the initial recall and a broken takedown pin (gun still fired), no other issues.

My LCP #1 has been flawless. LCP #2 required two trips back to Ruger to fix a jamming issue out of the box - rounds were getting jammed into the feed ramp. Then, two years ago, the takedown pin fell out and the gun came apart at the range. I learned that Ruger had redesigned the takedown pin with a slot to remedy that. They sent me three free pins. No more issues.

I routinely take mine to the range, straight from my pocket, and fire upwards of 200 rounds. I'd shoot more but for the cost of .380 ammo. Mine do not need to be surgically clean to work. I blow the lint out every day or so. Probably don't clean them as often as I should, but have never had an issue related to the gun being "dirty." I shoot mostly WWB flat points.

If you are sure your recoil spring isn't reversed, I'd suggest you call Ruger. If there is indeed something wrong, they will fix it for free.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
For a true pocket gun I'll take my LCP any day. Mine has been reliable and as accurate as you'd expect out of micro pistol. I also like the lack of safeties and other controls on it.

I shot a Sig 938 and it just felt wrong in my hands. Too many levers and doo dads; safety, slide stop, mag release etc. My hand just felt crowded gripping the pistol.

Plus I don't like the idea of a cocked and locked single action in my pocket.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
For a true pocket gun I'll take my LCP any day. Mine has been reliable and as accurate as you'd expect out of micro pistol. I also like the lack of safeties and other controls on it.

I shot a Sig 938 and it just felt wrong in my hands. Too many levers and doo dads; safety, slide stop, mag release etc. My hand just felt crowded gripping the pistol.

Plus I don't like the idea of a cocked and locked single action in my pocket.
Understood,, However, if a user does not want to carry "cocked and locked", just leave the safety off, full mag, unchambered. Take the gun out, pull the slide back, [ the very easy slide!], and the gun is ready to fire, just as the LCP would be.. It seems to me, the gun is designed to be carried with a round chambered, and the safety on, but it doesn't have to be. Just carry unchambered, and one quick slide and she's ready to rock...
As stated, we have 2 LCP models.. We did like them, a lot.. However, compared to the Sig,.. well there IS no comparison.. My wife is a better shot than I am, and she would empty a mag into a 3 inch bullseye every time.. Her Custom in the same hands would get one round in the eye, and the other five scattered around the 12 inch target randomly.. Same with me.. MUCH closer groups every time using the same ammo we use in the LCP's.. The Sig is simply a lot more accurate, in both our hands.. Not knocking the LCP models we have. They were our first choice in a .380 CCW, and we bought 2 of them until we learned about the P 238. the little Sig is really a big step up... bob

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
I would never carry a pistol unchambered. EVER

But, different strokes for different folks when it comes to firearms choices. I just picked up an LCP Custom and am looking forward to trying out the new and improved trigger. The new LCP Gen 2 may be great but for me it needs more time to prove itself reliable and I don't want to have to buy all new holsters.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Sig is a nice gun. Very different than the LCP, though. SA trigger with a thumb safety. If you aren't used to the thumb safety, it will require substantial retraining before sweeping the safety becomes ingrained. Slightly larger and heavier, which can make a difference.

We have three Gen 1 LCPs in the family. My wife has the first. Other than the initial recall and a broken takedown pin (gun still fired), no other issues.

My LCP #1 has been flawless. LCP #2 required two trips back to Ruger to fix a jamming issue out of the box - rounds were getting jammed into the feed ramp. Then, two years ago, the takedown pin fell out and the gun came apart at the range. I learned that Ruger had redesigned the takedown pin with a slot to remedy that. They sent me three free pins. No more issues.

I routinely take mine to the range, straight from my pocket, and fire upwards of 200 rounds. I'd shoot more but for the cost of .380 ammo. Mine do not need to be surgically clean to work. I blow the lint out every day or so. Probably don't clean them as often as I should, but have never had an issue related to the gun being "dirty." I shoot mostly WWB flat points.

If you are sure your recoil spring isn't reversed, I'd suggest you call Ruger. If there is indeed something wrong, they will fix it for free.
Is there a "bell" on the spring that I missed?.. To be perfectly honest, I suppose I could have reversed it at some point. I didn't see a flaring on either end, but I might not have been looking for it.. The LCP Custom has wanted to be freshly cleaned and lubed since it was brand new, and simply would refuse to feed, jam,fail to go into battery, and just be an all around PITA since it was brand new a year or so ago, if not cleaned a lot... However to be fair, it always worked fine when cleaned and lubed for maybe 5-7 mags, and then it would act up.. Hard for me to say if thats a "problem".. NO way it will go 100 rounds or even 75.. It will fail to work every time, until cleaned and lubed, and then,perfect- For 25-30 rounds, maybe 40 on a good day.. Should I call Ruger ?.. I may just have a gun thats fine, but needs to be cleaned more than most .. The LCP II seems like it might not be as finicky, but now I'm spooked and will clean it every few mags I run through it... I am afraid of "seeing how long I can go before it jams", on my EDC ... bob

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I would never carry a pistol unchambered. EVER

But, different strokes for different folks when it comes to firearms choices. I just picked up an LCP Custom and am looking forward to trying out the new and improved trigger. The new LCP Gen 2 may be great but for me it needs more time to prove itself reliable and I don't want to have to buy all new holsters.
^^^^^ This ^^^^^

My question to anyone carrying that way is this: What will you do when you go to rack a round and it jams ? You gonna throw the thing at the BG ?

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Is there a "bell" on the spring that I missed?.. To be perfectly honest, I suppose I could have reversed it at some point. I didn't see a flaring on either end, but I might not have been looking for it.. The LCP Custom has wanted to be freshly cleaned and lubed since it was brand new, and simply would refuse to feed, jam,fail to go into battery, and just be an all around PITA since it was brand new a year or so ago, if not cleaned a lot... However to be fair, it always worked fine when cleaned and lubed for maybe 5-7 mags, and then it would act up.. Hard for me to say if thats a "problem".. NO way it will go 100 rounds or even 75.. It will fail to work every time, until cleaned and lubed, and then,perfect- For 25-30 rounds, maybe 40 on a good day.. Should I call Ruger ?.. I may just have a gun thats fine, but needs to be cleaned more than most .. The LCP II seems like it might not be as finicky, but now I'm spooked and will clean it every few mags I run through it... I am afraid of "seeing how long I can go before it jams", on my EDC ... bob
The inner spring has a wide end, that must be toward the muzzle. Reversing it can cause malfs like you describe.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The inner spring has a wide end, that must be toward the muzzle. Reversing it can cause malfs like you describe.
I usually leave the springs in a line, spray them and reassemble the way they came out, BUT, anything can happen and I would never say there's no way I could have screwed up.. I am as fallible as anyone else out there! I'll check it out tonight, and thanks for the heads up... bob

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
As others have said. 238 over LCP is about more than just accuracy. It's a very different method of carry. Both options are good. Just different. Unless you carry with an empty chamber for some reason. Then the SA trigger wins.

I carry with a round chambered and prefer the safety of a long DA trigger to a thumb safety and cocked/lock.

I won't presume to tell someone else how to carry their gun though. I'm just glad people are carrying a gun at all.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it at all possible you were thinking about a standard LCP??.. the gun in question here is an LCP Custom.. I went through it again tonight, and as before,the springs both inner and outer are completely uniform in width front to rear from what I could see .. I am a retired auto technician, used to dealing with small mechanical assemblies. I would usually notice things like that.. The springs seem to have no flares anywhere unless its so small it can't be seen.. I can do a more precise check with a micrometer or a comparison caliper i suppose, but i doubt they would put a .003 taper on a spring. There would seem to be no good reason for that.. I dunno.... bob

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As others have said. 238 over LCP is about more than just accuracy. It's a very different method of carry. Both options are good. Just different. Unless you carry with an empty chamber for some reason. Then the SA trigger wins.

I carry with a round chambered and prefer the safety of a long DA trigger to a thumb safety and cocked/lock.

I won't presume to tell someone else how to carry their gun though. I'm just glad people are carrying a gun at all.
Typically, in the very safe and serene area we live in my wife and I both tend to carry unchambered.. I have carried cocked and locked, and it would not be a problem for me, depending on where I am.. Fishing , puttering around the house,or doing whatever in other "safe" environments I typically carry unchambered.. At night ,alone, or in an area I am not familiar with, I would carry with one in the pipe on my LCPII,or chambered safety on with my Shield.
My wife would have an easier time racking the slide on the Sig compared to the LCP Custom, and then its one round chambered, hammer back ready to fire.. Its an ok way for her to carry, as she NEVER goes out at night alone for any reason without me there. You would have to see the area we live in to really understand why we feel there is usually no need to have the gun ready to fire.
No crime, not a lot of people, quiet, farmland ,rolling hills etc.. Our big day out is Tuesday morning.. Free Donut Tuesday at Price Choppers!,, Free donut and coffee for seniors.. those are the types of places we frequent these days.. When out of our comfort zone, I would carry one in the pipe for certain.. most times i don't feel the need. I do realize of course anything can happen anywhere, and ho hum can turn to horror in a few seconds.. If thats ever the case God forbid, I think I can be ready.. I pray of course that I never need to find out.. Meantime however, this little Sig has more options for carry than the LCP, and the lighter slide and easier trigger will only make deployment easier if ever needs be... I pray to the Almighty we never need to deal with that scenario... bob

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Is it at all possible you were thinking about a standard LCP??.. the gun in question here is an LCP Custom.. I went through it again tonight, and as before,the springs both inner and outer are completely uniform in width front to rear from what I could see .. I am a retired auto technician, used to dealing with small mechanical assemblies. I would usually notice things like that.. The springs seem to have no flares anywhere unless its so small it can't be seen.. I can do a more precise check with a micrometer or a comparison caliper i suppose, but i doubt they would put a .003 taper on a spring. There would seem to be no good reason for that.. I dunno.... bob
I just checked the online manual for both the LCP and the LCP II. There isn't a separate one for the Custom. Both manuals state the flared end of the inner spring goes towards the muzzle. If your springs don't have a flare, there is something very wrong. Call Ruger.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just checked the online manual for both the LCP and the LCP II. There isn't a separate one for the Custom. Both manuals state the flared end of the inner spring goes towards the muzzle. If your springs don't have a flare, there is something very wrong. Call Ruger.
Checked springs on both guns.. there is no flare on either inner or outer springs of either gun.. I will call Ruger for clarification, thanks... bob

·
Registered
383 Posts
Checked springs on both guns.. there is no flare on either inner or outer springs of either gun.. I will call Ruger for clarification, thanks... bob
Let me know what they say. I have no flared inner spring on either my LCP Custom or LCP II.
The other thing I wanted to chime in is that the 238 is suppose to be carried locked and cocked. A single stage trigger is inherently easier to shoot more accurately. Same as if you went from a Glock (or just about any other defensive striker fired or double action) to a 1911.
You should ALWAYS carry a defensive weapon with a round in the chamber. Thats why the LCP and LCPII are designed the way they are. Look at a Glock which is one of the most popular civilian, LE, now soon to be Military pistol in the world. THE SAFETY IS BETWEEN YOUR EARS! Keep the trigger finger off the trigger until you need it. In a fight or flight reaction the fine motor skills are taken over by the gross motor skills. Chances of you racking a slide or taking the safety off is GREATLY reduced unless you have trained for a long time in that manner.
The greatest chance of harm to come to you would be to not remember to rack the slide or take off the safety. In a defensive shooting you will barely remember anything. Chances are you won't even sight your pistol...It will be point and aim....please reconsider your carry habits or get some additional training.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I did speak with Galloway precision about the orientation of their 13# recoil spring and they said for their springs the orientation doesn't matter. Just in case any of you are running 13# recoil springs in your LCP's

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have both the 238 and the 938. I inherited the 938 from my wife when she hurt herself and could no longer rack it. The 238 is much easier to rack for those who have less strength in their hands for whatever reason, so she now has a 238 instead...all decked out with pink hogue grips and a CT laser. As you probably know, the 938 is a tiny bit larger than the 238, and as far as accuracy goes, I do just as well with my 938 if not even better than my G17. The accuracy I can pull off with that little gun was totally unexpected. I think the only guns I have, that I've actually shot better than the 938, are my G19 with laser grips, and my Kimber UltraCarry with laser grips.

So, yup, the 938 is quite a bit more expensive than an LCP, but very accurate for a small guy. All of that said, my son and my son in law both have LCP/LCP Custom, and neither of them have had any issues with theirs.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I did speak with Galloway precision about the orientation of their 13# recoil spring and they said for their springs the orientation doesn't matter. Just in case any of you are running 13# recoil springs in your LCP's
Thank you for the clarification on that gqllc007. After reading this thread last night I checked the inner spring on my LCP which has the Galloway 13# springs and could see no flair or difference from one end or the other. Appreciate your "footwork".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts