Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a bit of time in the cold and snow, with my wife in the running car, heat on, at a deserted ice covered range, so my range time was somewhat abbreviated..
Took my new LCP II .22 LR, and 6 types of .22 LR ammo out..
Brought along my Wrangler as well, so I could test any unfired rounds and therefore determine if duds were due to the LCP .22, or bad ammo..

First up- 22 Rds Rem Golden Bullet..
2nd round in first mag was fail to feed. Uh OH... Cleared in 1/2 second pulling slide back.. Fired next 8 rds No issue.. 1 FTFeed in 22 rds

next- 20 rds Rem Thunderbolt- NO issues

next - 20 rds Aguila Super Extra- NO issues.

so now at this point,we have one "malfunction" in 62 rds.

Sensing now that this is a pretty good gun as far as being "picky" with ammo.

Time running out, still need to run some rounds through my surplus Beretta 81 , with blocked NY compliant mag, for function.. Decided to just go 10 rounds for rest of ammo test.

next up- 10 rounds CCI MiniMag.. NO issues.

next up- 10 rounds Browning Performance Rimfire- NO issues.

So by now, wife is looking at watch, I REALLY wanted to check out my freshly cleaned, oiled, polished Beretta Cheetah, I was freezing my hiney off, standing in the snow, ..
Decided to NOT shoot any of the Winchester Super X I had brought along

I had run 82 rounds of ammo from cheap to good, 5 different brands, with only one fail to feed that was cleared in 1/2 second..
To me, it was a good indicator that this particular gun was NOT going to be a picky example..
Function was great, it was VERY accurate, always shot where it was pointed, and did as well in my clumsy inaccurate mitts as my SR 22- Beretta Bobcat- Wrangler, all in .22LR
Not quite as accurate as my Mk III 22/45 Target, but thats to be expected..

VERY nice little gun, honestly.. If it had come out only 2 weeks sooner than it did, I would NOT own the 21A Bobcat.. I love the bobcat, and am keeping it, but the LCP .22 was $75 cheaper, and carries 3 more rounds..

This little Ruger came home from the range with me loaded w/ 10 Mini mags, and is going to get carried with a bunch of other pocket size pistols I own..
I live in one of the safest areas of the US statistically, and my wife is always with me carrying her p238, so I do not feel "undergunned" with a good .22 .
Right now i am really happy with the performance of the LCP .22

Unlike some others that tested theirs right out of the box, I field stripped mine, and lubed it well before firing it.. That might be one of the reasons so many folks had issues with these guns.. I am very satisfied with the way it performed..
In my opinion, any .22 pocket pistol that has 1 ftf out of 42 rounds of Thunderbolt and Golden Bullets, and then none in 40 rounds of "better" ammo is more than acceptable .... bob

·
Registered
69 Posts
Excellent report. I pick up our new one tomorrow. Getting it for my wife to use for practice. Any idea if they are rated for 22 magnum?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. its a .22 LR.. The gun would blow apart in short order with .22wmr.. .22 mag won't even fit in the magazine so no worries... If you want a hotter, .22 round in it use CCI mini mags, or the even hotter CCI Stingers.. they are both substantially more powerful that standard .22 LR ammo, especially the Stingers... bob

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
IF...one had to use a .22lr for SD I would lean towards CCI Velociters vs Stingers which tend to not always feed well in some semi-autos. Also the Stingers are not real consistent in the penetration department. Just my .02 worth!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IF...one had to use a .22lr for SD I would lean towards CCI Velociters vs Stingers which tend to not always feed well in some semi-autos. Also the Stingers are not real consistent in the penetration department. Just my .02 worth!
I think the mini mags are fine.. When compared to other ammo, the Mini Mags always feel more powerful to me, and have always fed well...
It won't be an EDC, but I do plan on carrying it in certain times, and certain places... Where we live, and where we go these days of retired rural life, I am very comfortable carrying a good 10 round .22 pistol at times..... bob

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Seems like a good little pistol. Nice to see someone clean the weapon before a range report too. I would not judge a weapon until the packing grease has been cleaned out and properly lubed first. Only fair. A couple of hiccups with the Remington ammo is not something I would be concerned about either. Some do and some don't with that stuff.

Glad to know that is a nice option.

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
Is this the official LCP II 22 thread? :smile:

I bought one last week. Finally made it out with it yesterday.

OLD CCI mini mags, 2 out of 10 no fire. No fire with my Colt Frontier either. Then saw a video later in the day with a guy having the same problem with older CCI mini mags. Note to self: Don't let your 22 ammo sit on shelf for years and years without seeing if that lot works. No chance of returning it now.

Same Aquila as OP, my goto 22 ammo, no problems.

Wolf MT, a few fail to feed, or round chambered but pistol not cocked. To be expected at 1050fps in a pistol they recommend HV in.

Old Blazer, the waxy stuff. A couple fail to feed with slide most of the way back. I looked over the round and racked the slide and the rounds chambered fine.

Accurate pistol. OK trigger. Not really spongy, but a little heavy. Just fine in a dinky pistol and see no need to use the safety if I leave it this way.

So then I noticed how hard it was to rack. And I even cleaned and oiled it first. The trigger was better than the display model, but the slide definitely didn't feel right. Not for a pistol with the moniker of Lite Rack. The last 3/8" or so there was a lot of friction. Even with the barrel and recoil spring out and the hammer cocked. Checked with a couple other guys and one guy said his slide operation was smooth all the way back and the other said his felt a little tighter. I felt it was my gun.

Bingo. I could even see the slide lifting away from the frame before it was all the way back.
IMG_4972.JPG

Polished the bottom of the slide and got rid of the machine marks (and paint) and gave the radius edge where it cocks the hammer a better profile. Also took the high spots off the face of the MIM hammer.
Just a little rubbing when tested again and I can barely feel it at all when completely back together. Much smoother operation. It felt like a new gun.
And it shot like one, too.

Yesterday the empties were landing at my feet. Today they are landing at 4:00, 3-4ft away. Maybe 19 out of 20 with an occasional trickler a couple feet away. And no Malfs with regular ammo.
I also ran some Remington Yellow Jackets through it and they felt great. I think I'll pick some more up. Nice little 1500fps plated HP. I'll test the penetration on some meat.

Confidence in the pistol is back and should be a fine pocket pistol for anything I could run into out back with the dogs.

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
THANK YOU for the Excellent Report!! I can let potential customers know that the little gun WORKS WELL. Heck, I'm gonna wait for one to come in on Trade, and snatch it up...

We need a debate!
6+1 380 vs 10+1 22...
Think of the possibilities...
:rolleyes:

Has your shop seen any yet?
There's only one place by me that has seen any. And even they say they are few and far between.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
We need a debate!
6+1 380 vs 10+1 22...
Think of the possibilities...
:rolleyes:

Has your shop seen any yet?
There's only one place by me that has seen any. And even they say they are few and far between.
yep!! 299.99...... How many do you want?? How about the ruger Five-Seven?? How many do you want.... 569.99 :biggrin2::biggrin2:
Played with em both... I've sold several LCP 22s...I played with the 5-7 and could have bought it, but sold it to a Customer that wanted one real bad..... I'd rather see and get a USED one of each.....

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
I bought some new ammo to play with yesterday.
I didn't like the Velocitors at all. Aside from one fail to feed, they were really snappy. I might as well have been shooting my 380 if not wanting the extra rounds in the mag. And my group opened.
Then I tried some Win Varmint and Small Game, another "hyper" velocity HP 40gr round. They were OK. Odd looking substance on the tips of the bullets... grease? I need to read up on these.
The Agulia Interceptors (1470fps published) all ran well and were just as accurate as the standard velocity Aguila. And they are a solid point plated. They shoot 1" higher than the standard vel at 8yds. Aguila=Eley primed, too.

I had to fiddle with the sights. My eyes have really gone downhill the past year. I tried some fluorescent paint, but it was like looking at a glowing orb. All bright and fuzzy. So I blackened some of the paint out. It doesn't look as bad when not seen through a camera lens. At least not with my eyes :wink:

IMG_4978.JPG

IMG_4980.JPG

8yds. Good for me. Especially since I don't shoot anymore.
5 standard Aguila @8.jpg

·
Registered
16,069 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Sounds like they are trying to justify their expected pricing already, lol.

Thanks for the article.
Lol, I think they are unabashedly expensive. Not cheap but the testing I have seen for the centerfire rounds seems pretty impressive. The permanent wound cavity in the hog was as advertised in the description. I think the 22lr is a round that could use this technology more so than the common defensive calibers as they already worked well. Maybe a little tech boost can bring the 22 up to a more acceptable performance level.

Who knows though.

The Underwood loading of the Leigh bullet in 45 Super was fun to try out. 120gr @ 1600 fps and 682ft/lbs. It was loud.

·
Super Moderator
18,241 Posts
Well, Colt had the Ace. So why not? :wink:
I know it. I'm scheming to add a Government Model in .38 Super to the mix and find myself wondering just how expedient it would be to acquire a Colt Ace.

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Super Moderator
18,241 Posts
Yeah PAcanis.

I've liked the notion of the .38 Super since long ago when it was drifting in some forgotten backwater of generally unpopular handgun cartridges while the severely overrated 9mm basked in the sun. Leave it to me to be the last person to jump on board with this current mini-renaissance of .38 Super interest.

I'm good at that. I used to hand load jacketed soft-point .38-40 ammunition back in the late 1970s, looking at those bullets which are .401" in diameter and dreaming of an effective modern .40 automatic cartridge as an alternative to the great .45 ACP while cranking out batches of .38-40 ammo. Took me decades after they were introduced to both sample a .40 S&W and to secure a good 10mm.

Always a day late and a dollar short.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts