Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I got my ammo in today and have three mags loaded up with the Aguila Interceptor solid nose plated.
I should be good to go. For what, I'm not sure... it is after all a .22. But then back in the early eighties I used to drop a Beretta Jetfire .25 into a pocket or Uncle Mike's soft holster. And those were supposed to be worse than a 22 if you had to use it. Something about the RN bullet ricocheting, or bouncing around, too much instead of transferring what little energy it had.

pew, pew, pew

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Back when I was in the USMC, one of their credos was "Every Marine is a rifleman." It didn't matter what your MOS was or what you were trained for.

In that vein, the way I look at it is "Every gun I own is a potential carry gun." You never know what circumstances you might find yourself in. I have no current plans to start carrying my LCP II .22lr, but I have IWB and pocket holsters for it, and a supply of Aguila Interceptors.

However, after reading that Lucky Gunner article on the best rimfire ammo, I'm going to replace the Interceptors with CCI Velocitors.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Back when I was in the USMC, one of their credos was "Every Marine is a rifleman." It didn't matter what your MOS was or what you were trained for.

In that vein, the way I look at it is "Every gun I own is a potential carry gun." You never know what circumstances you might find yourself in. I have no current plans to start carrying my LCP II .22lr, but I have IWB and pocket holsters for it, and a supply of Aguila Interceptors.

However, after reading that Lucky Gunner article on the best rimfire ammo, I'm going to replace the Interceptors with CCI Velocitors.
When I carry mine, it is loaded with Mini Mag solids right now.. My LGS has some Velocitors coming, and I plan on buying a box strictly for carrying, not for the range..My cheapo Golden Bullets have proven very reliable with this gun so far, so thats what it eats at the range.. bob

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
If you read my post above, I would recommend buying a lot more than one box of Velocitors.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If you read my post above, I would recommend buying a lot more than one box of Velocitors.
Understood, but I have 500 rds Mini mags, a box of Stingers,, a few boxes of other brands of 1400+ fps HV .22 ammo as well..
I don't shoot that stuff, I shoot the bulk cheap stuff.. I really don't need much .22 ""carry"" ammo, as it won't get fired any time soon.

What I will do most likely is next time i make a big ammo purchase online, I will have them send a few more boxes of Velocitors,,
they are a fortune locally, but it only pays to buy them online as part of a big order.. They wanted $25 to ship 2 boxes when I checked last week!! thats just the shipping charge, not the price including ammo.. bob

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I haven't had any problems with any HV or Hyper V I've shot, including hollow points, EXCEPT the Velocitors, which failed to feed one out of a mag. The third shot if I remember.
Might be a fluke, but certainly swayed me to the Interceptors.

But we all make a choice how much we are going to test carry ammo before actually trusting it. I know some guys and girls that buy a gun, buy some ammo and call it good to go.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I haven't had any problems with any HV or Hyper V I've shot, including hollow points, EXCEPT the Velocitors, which failed to feed one out of a mag. The third shot if I remember.
Might be a fluke, but certainly swayed me to the Interceptors.

But we all make a choice how much we are going to test carry ammo before actually trusting it. I know some guys and girls that buy a gun, buy some ammo and call it good to go.
I have a small inate distrust for any .22 really, compared to a center fire.. No one trusts Rem Golden Bullets, but I have had great luck with them over many years.. Would not use them for SD however.

I think I know where you are coming from, and you are correct of course.. If you are going to trust a .22 round for SD even on rare occasions, you should have a good idea as to its reliability in whatever gun you might be using to fire it... bob

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I have a small inate distrust for any .22 really, compared to a center fire.. No one trusts Rem Golden Bullets, but I have had great luck with them over many years.. Would not use them for SD however.

I think I know where you are coming from, and you are correct of course.. If you are going to trust a .22 round for SD even on rare occasions, you should have a good idea as to its reliability in whatever gun you might be using to fire it... bob
Exactly. That's why I would get more than one box.
I've got 100 rounds of Interceptor thru mine and am pretty confident, but then mine is going to be used "out back" where I run into the occasional stray dog or coyote. If they don't keep moving I want something in my hand. Currently I'm using a PMR-30 and would like something more pocketable, but with more shots than my .380 LCP.

I'll probably run another mag of Velocitors thru, just to see, but I think they'll be better suited to my Ruger American for 25yd shots.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Went out to shoot my G44 and took the LCP with me.
Out of curiosity I loaded another 10 of the Velocitor into the mag.
The slide locked back after the 7th round. No idea why as it's impossible to hit the slide stop/release with your thumbs when in a firing grip. The 8th round looked like it was ready to go, so I hit the slide release and it chambered the round just fine.

I guess mine just doesn't like those Velocitors for some reason.

On a side note: 20 rounds of the Velocitor fed just fine through the G44.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I wouldn't mind something that pings when you hit it.
My steel moves, but it doesn't ping. Not like the targets these .22 Tubers are shooting at. The problem with a 22 and the target moving is you can't always tell your follow up shot because the plate might still might be moving.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Another day at the range, and again it was accurate, and did well with Golden Bullets and Mini Mags.. ran 10 rds Mini mags, no problem, and then 75 rounds of Golden Bullets, with one stovepipe that was cleared in 1/2 second by just bringing the slide back a bit.. I REALLY like this gun, its quickly become one of my all time favorites.. BIG difference in recoil between the Golden Bullets and the mini mags... I mean its not tearing my hand off, but the Golden Bullets you don't even feel.. Change to the Mini mags, and you actually get a noticeable recoil... You can certainly feel the difference in punch between the MM and the cheaper stuff... bob

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Mine runs like a charm on Goldens' & CCI Blazers.

100% so far....
The very first reports were not encouraging.. lots of complaints of light strikes, fail to feed, fail to fire, fail to eject, jams, etc. Then after a month or so, things stabilized, reports became more positive, and now 2 1/2- 3 months later, the reports are mostly really good... I wonder if ruger made some fast adjustments, or people were simply running to the range without cleaning and oiling the guns first, and running 100 rounds through them dry, or with assembly oil only in them.. Something has changed for the better.. mine runs very well on any old cheapo .22 LR ammo, and I am 100% satisfied with it... bob

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I just read a Review on the LCP22, and it was very good. I've seen them on GB for about $275 ish. I haven't owned a Semi Auto 22lr in a Long time, but I have S&W 617, and 63 Revolvers. I may invest in the LCP22 just because it looked like some fun to shoot in the Videos. Besides I have a good supply of 22lr sitting around.

·
Registered
285 Posts
According to YouTube "Ammo Quest" the two best penetrating 22lr bullets from a short barrel (1 1/8 ") is the Aguila Interceptors and the CCI 36 grain hollow points. Again it is a 1 1/8" NAA Mini Mag. Interesting video.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I now have about 325 rounds through my LCP22. Almost all of it using the CCI Troy Landry Choot'em version. So far, not one failure to load, fire, or eject. I love the little thing. Hits on target at 10 yards with not much effort. It is a welcome addition to my range bag.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have enjoyed the reports in this thread. I own three LCPIIs in .380 (well, one and a half actually, because I gave one to the wife for her birthday last fall and the 'household' owns the other one). I shoot them well in BUG matches but I've had a few issues with 'mine' and I'm wondering if I should angle for an LCP22 if we can't get things sorted out with Ruger.

Big question: will the LCP22 fit in the same holsters as an LCPII .380? I've got the standard soft pocket holster from Ruger (came with the guns) and a Vedder Pocket Locker as well as a nice carbon fiber IWB that tucks away nicely at 3:30 for short walks, etc. Before I begin to raise a fuss at Ruger, I'd like some assurances on the holster issue. I've also got a dual mag carrier with paddle for BUG matches and it would be great if that also worked with the .22 mags.

Thanks for the input.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts