Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been looking at getting a .380 recently. I looked at the Ruger Lcp but I see there has been problems with frames cracking or with the takedown pins coming out. I see the Ruger Lcp II even had some cracked frames. The .380 I buy will be shot a good amount at the range. That’s why Ive also been looking at the glock 42, but I know there have been problems with them, but supposedly the new glock 42s are reliable I’ve heard.

I have also been looking at the Ruger Lcp Max. I know the gun is somewhat new, but I have not heard of frames cracking or takedown pins coming out. Is the Lcp max made better than the original Lcp where it can be shot alot and not have to worry about the frame cracking? I plan to about 1k rounds through my .380 in approximately 3 months when I get it. Thats why I want it to be durable and have also looked at the glock 42. Ive heard of jamming and limp wristing, but never heard of glock 42’s frame cracking. Opinions?

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you look for problems, you will find them for every gun.
I'm sure that most of LCPs can handle thousands of rounds without issue. But those with issues are likely to be the most vocal online.

The LCP, LCP II, and now the LCP Max are among the most trusted .380s on the market.
I bought the LCP Max thinking it would fully replace my LCP II, but as it turns out I carry both depending on dress. Certain pants either print too much with the wider LCP Max, or the pockets are too small to get a clean draw with a full purchase on the firearm. In those cases, I still carry my LCP II.

My general opinion on the G42 has nothing to do with the quality of the gun, but the size compared to it's peers. It's a small gun compared to other Glocks, but is still huge when compared to the LCP series. Too large for most pockets. So if I'm stuck carrying it IWB, then I see few reasons to carry a 6 round micro .380 roughly the size of something like a 10 round 9mm P365.

·
Registered
9,011 Posts
You may be paying more for ammo than you would for a 9, when you can find it. With the sizes of the smaller 9s these days, I would not buy a .380. Recoil because of a lighter weapon, ammo expense, and reduced power...I can't make that add up to an advantage.

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
For lots of .380 shooting get a Sig P-238 they are very durable and pleasant to shoot. You can thank me later! 😁

·
Registered
321 Posts
All I’ll say is I’ve had zero regrets about this Ruger,it was my wife’s choice and she went all out before choosing it. Since then I’ve put 350 rounds through it and although I detest it’s ugliness I would buy another max9 380s are small but a definite” Last Resort only” for me.
Trigger Wood Table Gun barrel Air gun

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
If you look for problems, you will find them for every gun.
I'm sure that most of LCPs can handle thousands of rounds without issue. But those with issues are likely to be the most vocal online.

The LCP, LCP II, and now the LCP Max are among the most trusted .380s on the market.
I bought the LCP Max thinking it would fully replace my LCP II, but as it turns out I carry both depending on dress. Certain pants either print too much with the wider LCP Max, or the pockets are too small to get a clean draw with a full purchase on the firearm. In those cases, I still carry my LCP II.

My general opinion on the G42 has nothing to do with the quality of the gun, but the size compared to it's peers. It's a small gun compared to other Glocks, but is still huge when compared to the LCP series. Too large for most pockets. So if I'm stuck carrying it IWB, then I see few reasons to carry a 6 round micro .380 roughly the size of something like a 10 round 9mm P365.
Good post. My LCPII still gets pocket carried quite a bit. I've looked at and tried the LCP Max, and it really isn't enough smaller than my P365 to make much difference, especially width, height, and weight -- the major factors in pocket carry imo. I can get by with pocket carrying the 365, but it's right on the edge of being too large and heavy for the pocket. If I'm gonna go IWB, might as well carry something in 9mm.
As far as round count goes, I have maybe 2800-3000 rounds through my 4 year old LCPII, but am shooting it sparingly at this point -- scared of wearing it out, and fairly hesitant about buying a new one due to the quality control of the new ones being produced in Mayodan NC.

·
Registered
514 Posts
It all depends on how you want to carry this. If it's in a pocket, definitely go with the LCP Max over the Glock 42. There's a substantial size difference relating to pocket carry. If you plan on IWB or OWB carry, I'd suggest the P365 as already mentioned, as it's the same size as the Glock, but in 9mm. Unless you're just really wanting a range toy in .380.

·
Registered
11,977 Posts
I have 3 gen 1 LCPs, a LCP II in .22, and a LCP Max. Carry the Max and one of the gen 1s daily. A pair of LCPs has been my most often carried setup for the last 13 years. They have seen a lot of shooting.

Before ammo got stupid expensive, I would often shoot 300+ rounds per range session. However, I usually only brought one or two magazines with me, so the gun could cool off while reloading the mags.

I strongly suspect the folks reporting cracked frames are shooting lots of rounds in a short period of time, getting the gun very hot. The frame insert is aluminum, and that doesn't respond well to excess heat. That puts stress on the whole frame.

If you are going to burn through 20 loaded mags as fast as you can mag dump, this is probably not the best gun...nor would anything with an aluminum frame be.

That said, Ruger stands behind their stuff.

If it meets your needs, buy with confidence.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Does anyone know the weight of a p365 380 loaded? I found the unloaded weight, but I’m curious to know the weight when it’s loaded.
About 19 ounces, give or take a smidge for your specific ammo weight.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I have 3 gen 1 LCPs, a LCP II in .22, and a LCP Max. Carry the Max and one of the gen 1s daily. A pair of LCPs has been my most often carried setup for the last 13 years. They have seen a lot of shooting.

Before ammo got stupid expensive, I would often shoot 300+ rounds per range session. However, I usually only brought one or two magazines with me, so the gun could cool off while reloading the mags.

I strongly suspect the folks reporting cracked frames are shooting lots of rounds in a short period of time, getting the gun very hot. The frame insert is aluminum, and that doesn't respond well to excess heat. That puts stress on the whole frame.

If you are going to burn through 20 loaded mags as fast as you can mag dump, this is probably not the best gun...nor would anything with an aluminum frame be.

That said, Ruger stands behind their stuff.

If it meets your needs, buy with confidence.
And you would be wrong. It was NOT burning though 300 rounds and getting the gun hot. Lol, it is because it is a cheap aluminum gun that just falls apart. They are not built for much shooting and they certainly are not built for any Hot ammo. Ruger may have changed the cosmetics over the years, but it is still the same gun as the LCP original.They suffer cracks, of all kinds. Rail splits, broken take down pins, cracks down the mag well, and on and on. Get a gun with a steel chassis, and get one were the manufacturer actually advertises the gun to be able to handle Plus P or (Hot ammo). Not that you shoot it, but a testimony that you can. It is about quality.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts