Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at getting a BUG, or a pocket gun for those times when you want to just drop something in the pocket real quick, or when IWB would not be possible and I would need deep concealment. I have pretty much narrowed it down to these two. So which one would you get and why? Ruger LCP or LCR?

How about .380 vs. .38 special?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
The LCR .38 Special revolver will have more stopping power. Trigger pull might present a problem. Both the Ruger LCR revolver and the LCP semi-auto are going to have a good amount of recoil that will take some getting used to.
.38 Special ammo is presently somewhat easier to find than .380.

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trigger pull on both of them are fine to me. The only problem with the LCR is the reset, unlike my Glock, you have to let it completely reset. But that just comes with practice I guess.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The LCR .38 Special revolver will have more stopping power. Trigger pull might present a problem. Both the Ruger LCR revolver and the LCP semi-auto are going to have a good amount of recoil that will take some getting used to.
.38 Special ammo is presently somewhat easier to find than .380.
Actually the DA trigger on the LCR is quite smooth.Heavy,but smooth.

In my opinion the LCR is a better choice than the LCP.Light (13.8 oz)
hammer less so no hang up's if pocket carrying.And if you decide to IWB carry,it will feel like nothing is there with a quality holster.
And as the poster said ubove me .38's are plentiful as opposed to .380.And you get the stopping power to boot.

My wife will be carrying one soon as an off duty weapon,so if i believe in it and she believes in it as a defensive weapon,it will do fine for you as well.

Good luck,Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Ruger LCR vs. LCP

It might come down to price. I would rather own and carry the LCR 38 Special but it is going to be about $120.00 more than the LCP.

Both are relativly inexpensive handguns.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll say the LCP because of the flatness and overall length. I can put mine in a back pocket of any of my jeans and forget about it till I need it, just looks like a wallet.The LCR may have more stopping power but the LCP is more concealable for me.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
LCP vs LCR

My opinion. If I had both in front of me and free. I'd still take the LCP over the LCR. JMO, but the .38 power wise with todays loads isn't a factor in the comparison anymore. The thickness of the cylinder is a check in the negative category, but does have the check in the reliability box.

For me it's a deep concealment itch that the LCP fills better and adds two extra rounds to boot, even if they're slightly less ballistically, they'll do the job if you do yours. In fact, some of the .380s ballistically compare pretty equal to some of the standard pressured .38 rounds. And Please! it's not a caliber war, if it has data to document it. I think all of us would rather have a .38 caliber LCP.:hand5:

:bier:

GBK

·
Registered
83 Posts
I own both and both are great BUGs. The LCP is very flat and light, easily concealed in either IWB or pocket carry with a wallet holster. The .380 is as light as I care to go in a SD round, but with the CT laser grips I'm confident of shot placement. I added a Pearce +2 mag extension so I have 8+1 .380 at hand.

The LCR is more powerful, especially shooting +p ammo. The recoil is stiff, but there is almost no muzzle flip. I pushes straight back into the hand. The trigger is a whole new design, with a cam to prevent stacking. This makes for a long but very smooth trigger travel with a crisp break. It is slightly larger than the Elsie Pea, but still easily concealable. With 2 HKS speedloaders, I have 15 rds of .38 +p available and with the CT Laser grip, hitting the target out to 10 yds is a piece of cake.

If I had to pick 1, it would be the LCR because of the extra power and new trigger design.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
557 Posts
I own both guns and like both of them for what they are. Basically it boils down to what you feel meets your needs the best. LCP, a little less noticeable. LCR, more take down power but not as slim. Both triggers you have to fully reset, but the LCR is smoother to operate. You can't go wrong either way. 38+P ammo is easier to find than the 380, at least around here.

Good Luck.

Armydad

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have interest in both........ So ....... if you don't mind sharing.... what does one have to pay for either one without leaving a lot of money on the table?

Also, how about holsters for the LCR...... Are the readily available? Or do they perhaps use the same holsters as the J-frames?

Thanks......

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
You can't go wrong with a 38 special snubnosed revolver. It should be a standard item in anyone's collection. Just my thoughts. Added power, ammo availability, and reliability (not picky about ammo) are just added benefits. just my opinion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also, how about holsters for the LCR...... Are the readily available? Or do they perhaps use the same holsters as the J-frames?
Plenty of holsters specifically designed for the LCR now. Not all manufacturers yet, but enough that it won't be an issue.

My .02, if you have to pick one, go with the LCR for the power.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Trigger pull on both of them are fine to me. The only problem with the LCR is the reset, unlike my Glock, you have to let it completely reset.
Same with the LCP and the trigger reset, since he asked about the LCP vs LCR and not about Glock. You have to let it all the way out to the second "click". The P3AT, which the LCP is almost a direct copy, is the same way.

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Same with the LCP and the trigger reset, since he asked about the LCP vs LCR and not about Glock. You have to let it all the way out to the second "click". The P3AT, which the LCP is almost a direct copy, is the same way.
That is actually my (the OP) comment. But I did not know that about the LCP, that it is the same, in that case, it looks more and more like the LCR. I do want a revolver.

Also, as far as concealability, I can't really tell a difference in my pocket. Heck, my phone in the other pocket printed more than the both of them, and that was without a holster.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Well, the LCR is my pick but then again I'm back on revolvers these days. In fact, I like the trigger action better than a stock Smith' and I have a few.
Perhaps you could find a used one for around a $150.00 less. As I posted elsewhere, the S&W 438 'Bodyguard' is one model that is still reasonably priced, and makes for a good pocket carry. Granted, it may not win any fashion shows but it does conceal and draws nicely.
Regards,

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've seen the LCR for $375 + $25 Shipping on Gunbroker. Plus FFL Fee.

I paid $385 + $18.50 ship. Shipping was normally $30, but I was buying 2 guns so they did shipping for $37. My FFL charges $20. So total cost was $423.50 - No complaints.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've seen the LCR for $375 + $25 Shipping on Gunbroker. Plus FFL Fee.

I paid $385 + $18.50 ship. Shipping was normally $30, but I was buying 2 guns so they did shipping for $37. My FFL charges $20. So total cost was $423.50 - No complaints.
I've never bought on gun "online"..... through gunbroker or any similar site.... Did the $423 include tax?........ thanks.......

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've never bought on gun "online"..... through gunbroker or any similar site.... Did the $423 include tax?........ thanks.......
I purchased it from a company out of state, so I paid no tax.

There is no tax as long as you don't buy the gun from a company that operates in your state. If the company is in your state, then you have to pay tax on top of it.

So it's a matter of Online Gun price + Shipping + FFL VS. Local Gun Price + Sales Tax + $5 Phone Verification.

LCR
Online: $423.50
Local: $429 + $30.03 Sales Tax + $5= $464.03

I also purchased a Glock 26....
$445 + $18.50 Ship + $20 FFL = $483.50
Local Price is $519 + $36.33 Sales Tax + $5 = $560.33

They shipped both guns Next Day Air. So for waiting 1 day, I saved $117.36

Back when I bought my Sig 226, I think I saved like $130 buying online VS local.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wife has the LCR and I have the LCP, so we have the best of both of the LC-worlds.

First impression after CC-ing both of them in IWB holsters, and taking them both to the range and firing them side by side is this:

If I want it for primarily carry purposes, and it HAD to be able to go in any pocket, and the gun won't get a lot of range time, I'd get the LCP. It's smaller, thinner, a little easier to conceal, but it can bite a bit during shooting. I know my trigger finger was ready to call uncle after only 20 rounds or so.

If I know I'm going to be spending some time at the range with the gun, and was going to IWB carry more than pocket carry, I'd get the LCR. Shooting wise, that trigger is nice, and the composite construction has a lot of inherent dampening characteristics making it a much more comfortable gun to shoot. And only at the expense of being slightly larger, for me it's still a more comfortable IWB carry than the LCP due to the rounder edges.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I picked up my lcr recently at a gun show, $400 cash.
No complaints, it's a great weapon that shoots really well IMO and I never have a problem cc'ing whether it be pocket or iwb 2 o'clocker

especially enjoyed adding ct laser grips, makes for a very reliable cc in any situation.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts